2002 GMC Envoy

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DozerII

I am looking for a diff for the Fast Four and was offered the diff out of a 2002 GMC Envoy, disc brakes, complete, with very low mileage. It has steel axle tubes and a cast aluminum center. Is anyone familier with them? Gear Ratios? Should I pass and look for an Exploder Diff?

Pass... especially if you still plan on 440 power.

Get a Ford 8.8. They're well supported in the aftermarket and tougher than the Exploder ever was...

Sorry to mislead you, Dozer. The Exploder diff is an 8.8. ( I meant the diff is tougher than the Exploder it's attached to. ;))

Around here, most are limited slip and 3.73 ratio. If you find one, look at the tag attached to one of the rear cover bolts.

3 L 73 = 3.73 ratio and the L means limited slip.

wp299b6326_05_06.jpg

8.8's came in small fords like Ranger, Explorer etc. Doc posted what the tags look like & how they are read. Rangers are attached to the bottom of the springs & Explorers etc are attached to the top of the springs. Look online to identify the difference between 7.5's & 8.8's in Rangers... avoid 7.5's if at all possible! I paid $165 for my Ranger 8.8 but it has drum brakes.

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/axle_codes.shtml

BoB

Latest posts

Back