RPU, bodywork underway.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The difficulty could have been an omen

I told ya!:D:D:D[ddd[ddd[ddd

Haha, yeah, I think you guys are right, and you were right Bamamav. As much as I would have liked the red, I am just tired of all this bodywork, priming, and painting. Time to move on.

Now that it is cooling off for the day a little, I am going to head to the shop and start on the doors. I went too early yesterday, and I was cooked.

Film at 11 ! :D

Another day of sanding and scuffing, and the doors are now ready for the final coat (I hope) of sealer. Then I can start with the final black paint.

Here are some pictures of the doors from today, and the body that we sanded and scuffed yesterday. The body is also going to get a coat of sealer before final paint.

We removed almost all of the masking tape and paper because it had been through a lot of coats of primer and paint and I want fresh tape and paper in there when I do the final paint so I do not get any trapped dust into that paint.

I think I will take tomorrow off ! :D:D

Attachments

• DSC08220.jpg
    DSC08220.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 20
  • DSC08212.jpg
    DSC08212.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 23
  • DSC08213.jpg
    DSC08213.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 21
  • DSC08214.jpg
    DSC08214.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 22
  • DSC08215.jpg
    DSC08215.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 21
  • DSC08216.jpg
    DSC08216.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 23
  • DSC08217.jpg
    DSC08217.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 22
I just pulled up the first thread I started on this car, and it was in May of 2011...…………..9 years ago ! :eek: Where do the years go ? It seems just like it was yesterday. Wow !! :(:(

So, I guess I better get off of my tail and get this thing done. My plan for today is to wipe the whole car down with wax and grease remover, tape off the entire interior and firewall (again), and have it ready to shoot the last coat of sealer on it tomorrow. Kirker said to let that cure for 24 hours to let all the solvents out of it, and then on Friday (hopefully) I will shoot the final top coats on the body and doors. Hope the weather here cooperates.

What I found funny, reading my original posts from 2011, is how I have changed my mind on what this car was going to be. I planned on using the Olds engine I had, rear mounted radiator, and leaving the body rough. One thing about me, when I make a plan I NEVER change my mind ! :eek::eek::eek:

Don, As long as you change your mind and the outcome is better, keep doing it. Good luck with the top coat.

I just pulled up the first thread I started on this car, and it was in May of 2011...…………..9 years ago ! :eek: Where do the years go ? It seems just like it was yesterday. Wow !! :(:(

What I found funny, reading my original posts from 2011, is how I have changed my mind on what this car was going to be. I planned on using the Olds engine I had, rear mounted radiator, and leaving the body rough. One thing about me, when I make a plan I NEVER change my mind ! :eek::eek::eek:

Don,
I know the feeling but that makes me feel a lot better about my build since I'm only 3 1/2 years in... haha! Although I still have several cars that have been in the queue for at least 10 years! [ddd

But, you have worked on other cars over those 9 years!

BoB

So, I guess I better get off of my tail and get this thing done. My plan for today is to wipe the whole car down with wax and grease remover, tape off the entire interior and firewall (again), and have it ready to shoot the last coat of sealer on it tomorrow. Kirker said to let that cure for 24 hours to let all the solvents out of it, and then on Friday (hopefully) I will shoot the final top coats on the body and doors. Hope the weather here cooperates.

Don't feel bad about the time it has taken. I started my build thread in 2014 and I said that I had been working on it for three years then. It is no where near done. Your truck is coming out way way better than mine ever will.

All I can say is, I've been doing lots of fun things for way longer than 9 or 10 years. As long as its fun, who cares how long it takes. [cl :D

Thanks for the encouragement, guys. Let's just say I would never make it on Overhaulin", how they get a car done in a week is hard to understand !

I spent yesterday blowing off and wiping down the entire car with wax and grease remover, and then I taped up and papered the entire interior in preparation for shooting the seal coat of primer on before the paint goes on. But, when I got to the passenger side cowl panel, there was still a problem with it.

When I originally shot the red oxide paint on the body that panel turned out goofy. It was rough, like sandpaper, and looked terrible. We DA'd that panel and the rest of the car and then block sanded it all smooth, we thought. But, for some reason, that panel had some kind of reaction and became rough again.

When I sanded the red yesterday, whitish spots pimpled the entire lower cowl, showing through the red. They were either solvent pop or moisture from the spraying. Little white holes all over the surface, just pin sized little holes all over the surface.

So, I DA'd it all again, and block sanded and scuff padded the entire body one more time, and it seems to be mostly gone. But before I just shoot the final paint I want to make sure I got it fixed. So I will shoot the seal coat on it probably today, and let that cure to see if the little holes reappear.

Very odd. For some reason there was a reaction on only that one panel. My guess is, I shot too many coats of red on there too quickly and trapped solvent between the coats, or, like I said, maybe my spray gun shot some moisture into the paint. I am not going to rush this because it could get very expensive if I shoot the SEM paint and then a problem crops up.

Did I mention that I hate bodywork ?

Did I mention that I hate bodywork ?

I've heard that several times, but I talk in my sleep and have voices in my head. [S

I'd imagine humidity is a constant issue for you, speaking to cure times and solvent pop. I could tell you a horror story, but I don't want to cause you any more stress!

Yep, Doc, it was really odd. One day there were none of these pinholes after we spent the day sanding the entire car. A day or two later they suddenly appeared. Maybe we released some trapped solvents or moisture ?

Today, on the way to the shop I am going to stop at Harbor Freight and buy an inline water and oil filter and replace the maybe worn out water filter I have had on the tank for years. I could be getting moisture or oil from the compressor in my spray.

Sometimes I feel like pushing the body down the street to the body shop that fixed my 27 after that guy ran into the back of it. But I have gotten so far and put so much work in already that I am not ready to let this lick me yet.

It will be interesting to see what that cowl section looks like when I get there today. If it looks ok, I think I will install the air filters and then shoot the last coat of thinned down primer on the whole car to seal it and fill the little remaining pinholes.

Dan and I spent the day fixing some little spots on the body that needed attention before putting the last coat of sealer on. One was that pesky passenger side cowl section, we sanded most of the red paint off and got it to the point where the little pinholes went away.

Then we spent the rest of the day going over the entire body and doors, looking for more pinholes and areas that needed a tad more work. I wiped the body down 5 times with wax and grease remover, and tomorrow we are going to shoot that last coat of sealer and see what we have.

I think we may have crossed the bridge and are getting close to final paint !

It is solvent based. Something is really goofy about that one cowl panel. Yesterday we sprayed the two doors with the sealer coat and they came out fine, we then sprayed the rest of the body and all of it came out ok too, except that same panel ! As soon as I shot it, it started to get a rough texture to it as if something underneath was reacting with that coat.

So, we sprayed one more coat on the entire body to seal it all in, and that panel did lay down, but today we are going to sand it to see what is going on there and see if the sealer finally will keep that from happening in the final paint.

This thing is driving me nuts, and the temperatures here are not helping.

Oh, by the way, here are a couple of pictures from yesterday. The car is now in black sealer.

Attachments

• IMG_1063.jpg
    IMG_1063.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_1061.jpg
    IMG_1061.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_1057.jpg
    IMG_1057.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 23
It looks done to me, Don. But since you like bodywork (I heard that somewhere) you might as well finish the job. Your roadster is going to be the Belle of the Ball.

It looks done to me, Don. But since you like bodywork (I heard that somewhere) you might as well finish the job. Your roadster is going to be the Belle of the Ball.

Haha, you have no idea hot much I am looking forward to getting this thing DONE ! This is my least favorite part of the build.

Dan and I decided today to not push getting the final paint on the doors or the body, and instead we pushed them out into the parking lot to cook in the hot sun for a while to really cure the epoxy primer. The heat was BRUTAL today, and we figured it would be a good day to sweep out and hose out all the dust that I have created in the shop from my sanding.

We took most of the cars out of the shop, including the chassis for this rpu. I haven't touched it for a long time, and it was good to see it in the sunlight for a change.

Here are a bunch of pictures from today. We are going to correct a couple of flaws in the epoxy sealer coat, and then finally shoot some Hot Rod Black on the doors and body . Can not wait !

Attachments

• DSC08223.jpg
    DSC08223.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 19
  • DSC08226.jpg
    DSC08226.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 19
  • DSC08224.jpg
    DSC08224.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 20
  • DSC08225.jpg
    DSC08225.jpg