"Bickle" 1948 3100

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One difference in the older wheels and the newer ones is the position of the horn contact. I found that out when I stuck my Chevelle wheel on, and promptly broke the plastic insulator that the spring goes through.

One difference in the older wheels and the newer ones is the position of the horn contact. I found that out when I stuck my Chevelle wheel on, and promptly broke the plastic insulator that the spring goes through.

this is true! older wheels have the horn contact at 2 oclock, newer at 10:30. I think the switch happened in 61 or around there. this is a 67 wheel so its in the right spot, if you have an older wheel you can just drill a new hole with a 5/16 bit.

I ordered a 15" 59 impala wheel for one of these trucks, the new repop style, and didnt pay attention, I ordered the older style. :rolleyes:

They must have changed it again when they moved the key to the column. My wheel is I think a 67 too, not sure about my column, but know it's way later since it's for an overdrive transmission.

just wait'll you see the NEXT one. [;)

started out by taking in the distribution box bracket, welds were looking a little funny and fizzing.

attachment.php

oh! that'll do it.

attachment.php

my daughter had the car so I had to make myself busy till she got back. drilled for the rad rubber mounts, but not too deep! thats the power steering line under there haha

attachment.php

rad is in except the top mount now, REALLY EXCEEDINGLY happy with the 7.25" rearward move of the V6, everything fits so much better than the last one when I went 9.5. there is room to go back that far, but not necessity. the rad is 3/8" away from the fan and the dizzy fits without jacking the cab up.

no sign of daughter yet, ok, on to the HVAC blower. testing how much room I have

attachment.php

mark and cut from inside. I turned the cut piece around to close out the original fan hole.

attachment.php

attachment.php

the blower I am using is quite a bit larger than the last, but still fits, albeit tilted slightly.

attachment.php

still no daughter, ok, added the battery box.

attachment.php

it will get trimmed a bit so it looks better, but I needed the fullsize to check spacing. the rad hose goes under, the trans cooling and AC lines go beside, the dryer in front of, its literally one of those 1/4" any direction and it wouldnt fit. but it fits!

daughter came home and I got welding wire at homer derp. ks passed a mandatory mask law and I am not here to debate it, but there were a lot of scofflaws at homer derp.

tomorrow the kids are going to the lake, leaving me to sleep in and work on truck! fireworks at 10, so I have lots of time.

Attachments

• IMG_7448.jpg
    IMG_7448.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_7451.jpg
    IMG_7451.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_7454.jpg
    IMG_7454.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_7458.jpg
    IMG_7458.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_7459.jpg
    IMG_7459.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 69
  • 61549212711__57FBC85A-B822-48BA-A790-1D6740138B12.jpg
    61549212711__57FBC85A-B822-48BA-A790-1D6740138B12.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_7449.jpg
    IMG_7449.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_7457.jpg
    IMG_7457.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 69
had big plans for the weekend but family was more important. we spent the evening of the 4th on moms new deck which gave a nice elevation (basically a second floor deck) to see everyone else's explosive shenanigans. spent $0 and had a great show, even the city hall of the town 1 mile north was visible from our perch.

attachment.php

I bent up a 4" pipe, could have bought one I guess but I figured a wobbly pumpkin-round free pipe would work as well as a store bought perfect one. :D

attachment.php

made a closeout and taped it in place to check airflow. the two heat marks are where I welded in an air director to give a gentler push to the left

attachment.php

worked great! so I sealed it all up for real with some screws and some schmutz (not brand name schmutz, but good enough shmutz!)

attachment.php

even the blower I thought would be crooked, was straight!

attachment.php

I trimmed the battery tray and got it tacked in for a trial fit too.

attachment.php

everything fits all around it, no collisions. even the (-) terminal LOOKS close but just sneaks under the AC drier.

attachment.php

I need to get some stuff moved around, still need 8 cubic inches for the fusible link BUT I HAVE A PLAN! :D need a lower hose and a rad hold down and some screws and zipties and MAYBE we can try a start.

Attachments

• IMG_7466.jpg
    IMG_7466.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_7463.jpg
    IMG_7463.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_7477.jpg
    IMG_7477.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_7484.jpg
    IMG_7484.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_7480.jpg
    IMG_7480.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_7481.jpg
    IMG_7481.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_7482.jpg
    IMG_7482.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 53
thanks fellas

When your done there is no room left for a paperclip under the hood. [cl[cl[P[P

I still have to put the air cleaner in! :)

got the rad mounted and almost everything hooked up.

attachment.php

I picked up the lower hose and the trans clip I was missing plus all the various fluids and blobs and blips I still needed, including the air cleaner.

Attachments

• IMG_7493.jpg
    IMG_7493.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 37
thanks guys!

been a little bit, still busy

I bought a mafia staff car

attachment.php

the nice woman selling us the new property, she was having some trouble with the car and was going to trade it in for basically the cost of the diagnostic at the dealer. I said I would be interested and bought it for more than that, which made us both happy but the dealer a little salty. it was knocking like a landlord but UNDER the car, not in the engine. removed the cat and it was loud but no more knock.

visited dan and his truck is really coming along great. we got the windshield installed in less than 4 minutes, steele rubber is the difference, really works nice.

attachment.php

been selling mounts, local guys are really excited. I just designed a V2 that has provisions to bolt on even though I wouldnt personally bolt body mounts on. one guy asked if I needed a grille, I traded him a staggered set of 14" wheels (rare 14x6 station wagon rears) and expected it to be a 2 ton truck grille, I was happy to find it was a 1/2 ton 54! now I have a complete front clip for a 54, maybe that baby coe I keep talking about.
I also did another set of parts for a local shop and they tipped me a 57 grille for my 56 project!

attachment.php

the staff car was still idling rough, google said northstars are hard on the intake coupler to the throttle body, so I pulled it and replaced it and the intake gaskets. check out where the starter is!

attachment.php

took a shakedown cruise and stopped at a semi local yard that said they had a driveshaft online but didnt state a price. $40! it even had the inner clip type rear u joint that I needed.

attachment.php

installed the flange pinion adapter and the driveshaft. perfect fit! 53"

attachment.php

got the carpet, went with tan and dropped the seat off for covering in gold to match the dash

attachment.php

the s10 shortbed bed floor is just a little short so I cut down the front wall of the s10 bed and folded it flat to match the front wall of the 48 bed.

attachment.php

nick dropped off his 42 at the shop, I will put it on an s10 frame for him probably in september.

attachment.php

the orange peel in the dash was bothering me so I wet sanded it with some 2000 and reshot it. much nicer!

attachment.php

yesterday I tried bleeding the brakes and of course the front caliper bleeders were stuck. a 1 hour job took most of the day with new calipers and bleeding. but with the driveshaft in it runs drives and stops.

more soon!

Attachments

• IMG_7547.jpg
    IMG_7547.jpg
    196.6 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_7569.jpg
    IMG_7569.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_7583.jpg
    IMG_7583.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_7618.jpg
    IMG_7618.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_7621.jpg
    IMG_7621.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_7619.jpg
    IMG_7619.jpg
    163.6 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_7658.JPG.jpg
    IMG_7658.JPG.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_7659.jpg
    IMG_7659.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_7667.jpg
    IMG_7667.jpg
    195.7 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_7668.JPG.jpg
    IMG_7668.JPG.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 48
Man you get a lot done fast Joe. [cl[cl That is a crazy spot to put a starter, WTF were they thinking.[S[S Looking forward to following your 42 build. [P[P[P

Last edited:
Excellent progress, I appreciate the motivation! I knew those Northstar starters were buried in there, but it's still hard to believe.

bill I feel like I am standing still. I have needed "one good week of work" for the last 5 weeks. :confused:

dozer I liked the first 41 I built, fenix, I should have kept it.

attachment.php

burg that motor is staying put, since my M3 is so fickle I need something other than the 2500HD to drive and I think truck parts will fit in the trunk, the driveshaft was around 59" overall length and just fit right in!

got the front lights wired and the park lights done. headlights just need installed.

attachment.php

bbraaaaaaaaaakkkes

attachment.php

trial fit the wheels, look good to me!

attachment.php

my brother sent me a picture from a swap meet/cruise, I thought it was sectioned but its channeled

attachment.php

more today!

Attachments

• 37338219975_4b5af0c782_o(1).jpg
    37338219975_4b5af0c782_o(1).jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_7674.JPG-1.jpg
    IMG_7674.JPG-1.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_7672.JPG-1.jpg
    IMG_7672.JPG-1.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 29