pinto shifters

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flatheadgary

i remember in some mag they had a tech on how to lengthen the shift rod on the trans and the shifter to get these to work with a 350 turbo trans. does anybody know how to do it? i put one in my last t bucket but, the low wouldn't engage, using the stock arms on the trans and the shifter.

Gary, How's the drag car running? I have a Pinto shifter in a T Bucket in the back garage. I can't get under it cuz the cars are packed too tight together. As I recall, I measured the distance the hole in the shift lever arm on the trans moved from detent to detent. Then I checked the Shifter the same way. Can't remember what exactly I did, but I made the two match up . That doesn't mean the arm lengths are the same at the holes where the rod attaches. For instance, if the trans arm rod hole moves 1/2" from detent to detent, I made the rod hole in the shifter in a location where a 1/2" of rod movement moved the shifter from detent to detent. Whew, this is hard to expain in words.

thanks for the reply bob. as far as my bantam goes, i can't drive it anymore at famosa. the last time i ran there the tech guy said he didn't want to see it again until i get new slicks on it. i don't understand what his problem is, there only 15 years old and cracked all the way around. hahaha
the shifter thing, i figured that is what i would have to do. i just have to get off my butt and do it.

Hi,

After a standard rocker/cam cover for a pinto and must have a splash guard under the filler neck like on the lasers.

Thanks

I had a '78 Pinto with a four speed.
Threaded piece that held the shifter down was about stripped and every so often it would come out of the floor in your hand. :D :rolleyes:

Sorry, a bit off topic but the thread title reminded me of it. ;)

I think it was in Rodder's Digest, back when they were great. It may also be in the Hot Rodder's Bible, a best of by Hendrickson and Burger.

Latest posts

Back