Rat Rods Rule / Undead Sleds - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007!

Go Back   Rat Rods Rule / Undead Sleds - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007! > Traditional Style Hot Rods

Traditional Style Hot Rods A general and broad section about "Traditional Style" rods!

Old 08-03-2015, 10:35 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 440Clark View Post
What are you using for a ring compressor?

I have this one from Snap On, I really like it:

When we were at the engine guys shop he asked me how I install pistons and I told him I put a little oil on the cylinders and some on the rings and then insert the piston into the cylinder. He said "I was afraid you were going to tell me that. Doing that is 30 year old technology, we now install them dry so they will seat."

I went on the net and researched it and the majority of the people do it like I do, some even dunk the piston into oil first, but since he builds some serious motors I have to think he knows what he is talking about.

Don
Old 08-03-2015, 10:40 PM
Still crazy after all these years!

Maybe just for pistons with coated skirts?
Old 08-07-2015, 09:59 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

No, the pistons are just Sealed Power forged pistons, no coating.

I just called the engine guy to find out what he has found out so far. He said he found a lot of little things that he wasn't crazy about, and will discuss it with us when we go to pick up the engine. Probably next week or so. When we picked up the heads last week he said there was excessive clearance in the valve guides so he put in new bronze liners and redid them. If those were not right from our first machine shop, then there are probably other machining issues with the rest of the block.

Anxious to get this thing back and installed, Turkey Run in November is rapidly approaching and Dan is building a new exhaust system for the car and has to have the motor back in to finish it up. Then it has to be sent off for coating.

4 months seems like a long time, but not when you are trying to finish up a car.

Don

Last edited by donsrods; 08-07-2015 at 10:14 AM.
Old 08-07-2015, 03:00 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

don i like to play with the olds motors myself, and this may not be a issue for yall but big block olds are not the same. some use a different cam and lifters because of cam angle and lifter bore size. just something you might want to check. i can't remember the year change. i would of also thought the 280 in a 455 would have been a good grunt cam. anyway i hope it all works out for yall.
Old 08-08-2015, 12:46 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

That change was in about 1965 when they went from a 39 degree bank angle to a 45 degree angle. My Son Don had a 65 Olds with the 425 engine and it was the older style bank angle.

Don
Old 08-15-2015, 08:59 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Dan and I drove down to Naples yesterday and picked up Dan's completed short block from Mike Thompson Race Engines. It could not be nicer. Everything is spotless and he took a lot of extra steps like deburring the block and glass beading everything.

We asked him what he found in the old motor and he said nothing jumped out at him and he didn't really care because he said "I just made it right this time." He degreed the new cam and advanced it 2 degrees to give Dan some more bottom end.

One thing he didn't like was some bearing where on number 8 connecting rod. Looked like low oil pressure to him, so he included a high volume pump with a bolt on pickup screen, instead of the standard pump we ran with a press in screen. He also said he felt the previous machinist had the bores a little tight, so he honed them a few thousands bigger.

When I looked at that engine I can see why pros do such a better job than home hacks, like me. He KNOWS what he is doing every step of the way and makes sure every part is perfect. So happy we found this guy.

Dan is going to have him build a 351 Dart block for his Mustang, and they are talking about a 4 inch crank to take it to 438 cubic inches.

We are getting the car ready to put the motor back in, but we have to wait for some parts come from Summit next week. I will post some pictures of the motor later.

Don
Old 08-15-2015, 10:20 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Took some pictures tonight. Here is the engine:

And here are all his parts, all cleaned, bagged, and ready to go back on.

All we need now are some parts that are coming from Summit and we can start putting it back together.

Don
Old 08-15-2015, 10:49 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Looking good man!

I'm still hoping to come down in November! I need to get my stash built up for the swap meet tho!
Old 08-15-2015, 10:50 PM
Fascinated by rolling objects!

All the pretty pieces. It's sure to be perfect this time.
Old 08-19-2015, 06:53 PM
A *real* tin magnet

I love those engines, real torque monsters but you can't build them like a small block chevy. They make their power at a lot lower rpm and a cam that comes in at 2500 is kinda defeating the engines best assets. Did you put oil restrictors in the bottom? They are notorious for starving the mains at/above 5000 rpm. Fix that and some bad rocker arms with good rollers and that engine will run with the best of them.