Rat Rods Rule / Undead Sleds - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007!

Go Back   Rat Rods Rule / Undead Sleds - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007! > Traditional Style Hot Rods

Traditional Style Hot Rods A general and broad section about "Traditional Style" rods!

Old 08-19-2015, 07:00 PM
Still crazy after all these years!

The engine builder you used must be compulsive about getting it right. One of the magazines just fixed a guy's hi performance Olds engine. What they found was the main caps liked to walk after repeated high rpm cycles.
Old 08-19-2015, 08:13 PM
Older, Wiser and Still Buildin'

Default Yeah, Hot rod just did an olds engine..

Part of the Hot Rod to the rescue articles...build the engine, did some dyno runs and then tore it down to find problems in the main bearings....had to put a stud girdle on it to stop them from moving around....FYI of course..good article.. http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/engine/...smobile-build/
Hope this time it's the charm....
Old 08-22-2015, 10:11 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Yesterday the last pieces for the motor arrived, so Dan and I got it installed. We got the heads on, put in the lifters and valve train, and then put a drill on the oil shaft to prelube it. We got 40 psi on the drill and good oil to the lifters, but none up to the rockers.

I called the engine guy today and he said not to worry, sometimes the motor has to be running to do that. We are also running thicker oil than ever before (Lucas Hot Rod/Classic Car oil 20/50) so that is probably one reason.

One word of advice, NEVER remove a lifter and try to turn the oil pump with a drill. Oil shot 6 feet in the air, after hitting Dan square in the eye ! I never knew oil could shoot out of a lifter bore with than much force !

Today we are going to install the intake, carbs, and all the other stuff, and then Dan is going to start working on a new exhaust system. He has had it with open headers (really magnified with a roadster top up) and he is building an undercar exhaust system to exit behind the cab. Then he can send it all out for coating.

Can't wait to hear this new motor run.

Don
Old 08-22-2015, 11:58 AM
The Rat Captain

Cool

Neither can we, video

The oil filter episode is a "da"
Old 08-26-2015, 04:00 PM
A really rusty biker

Love those BB Olds. Would love to hear that thing run. Hope this one works out super!

Back in the day there was a guy named Terry Thach that worked at the local Olds dealership..Barton Olds.

He was very successful with 442's and cutlass'. He was very good. Unfortunately he went blind in one eye and had to quit racing, couldn't see the tree on the side he was blind.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg terry thach.jpg (76.4 KB, 11 views)
Old 08-28-2015, 09:28 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

We are going to hold off firing it up until he gets his new exhaust system built and coated. He never liked the open headers, especially since the car has a top on it which makes the sound even more pronounced. He is going to cap the headers and run pipes to behind the cab. But I will post a video when that day comes (hopefully, within a month........the coating company will take about two weeks and two weeks for him to build the system)

But on a lighter note, I got my insurance done on the 27 yesterday and this morning I went to the tax office and got my plates. I turned them in a year ago when I tore down the 27, and haven't driven the car since then. Today I am going to get it out of the shop and go for a little spin.

Don
Old 08-28-2015, 09:29 AM
A really rusty biker

Enjoy the ride!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-28-2015, 09:41 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Thanks, CD. I am anxious to see how different the car is with 3.70 gears vs the 4.30's I had been running. Should be much better on the highway. I also had a new radiator built, so it should be a little cooler too.

Don
Old 08-28-2015, 01:07 PM
The Rat Captain

Thumbs up Have a fun spin

video
Old 08-28-2015, 10:20 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

I got my plates today and got the 27 out for the first time in a year. It felt great and the new gears are so much more pleasant. It poured and after it stopped raining I went for a drive and couldn't get on it because it kept going sideways with anything but the slightest pressure on the gas. The roads were just too wet.

My new radiator seems to help too because it ran at about 150, so I may have to put a sender on the engine to kick the fan on and off.

Feels good to have the old girl back on the road !

Don