Garage art

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here be a 4 way speaker system.
Kinda finished apart from glass dome and fins.

Picture%2B8147.jpg

I love that style! How many hours into it?

man cave art

This is furniture for a car crazy person like my self.

Attachments

• IMG_20170202_165335.jpg
    IMG_20170202_165335.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_20170202_164813.jpg
    IMG_20170202_164813.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_20170202_164537.jpg
    IMG_20170202_164537.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_20170202_164550.jpg
    IMG_20170202_164550.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 30
Don't know or care.

Great answer. I have been doing art shows for a very long time now, and the number one question, is "how long does it take to make something like this". They could be looking at the booth as a whole, and expect you to answer with what your hourly rate is. If I have a 500.00 price tag on something, they assume if I make 10 per hour, I have 50 hours in the project. If I make $50 and hour, then I have 10 hours, and if I make 100 per hour, then I just have 5 hours in the piece. The truth is, I have a lifetime in each piece. Hourly rates do not apply with art.
I have to sell each one for as much as I can, because I may have so much time in the next one, I will be in a negative hourly rate. (not really, but it seems that way sometimes.)
I look at painter friends who tie up 20 bucks worth of paint in a painting that sells for $500.00, but I know that has little to so with the finished product. Skill and talent add to the time, and it all becomes irrelevant, when someone buys a piece.

sorry I asked

I don't think he was being rude WB...A little blunt maybe but BH hit it on the head. I get the same question on the few sculptures I have made and my answer is usually "You don't want to know..." I usually lose track of time when I'm building anyways[cl

Sounded kinda rude to me. I don't punch a time clock but have some idea if it was 10 hours or 100. Lots of my pieces I finish in 3-4 days and have a pretty good idea, more drawn out projects it's more of a guess but that's kind of how I price things, shop time and materials is where I start and will sell a piece for that if it's going to get a lot of exposure. Artistic value and even more important, the artists reputation probably affect price more than time involved. If Andy Warhol welded 2 wrenches together, it would be worth $100,000. If I did it about $5.

Time and art don't mix well. nobody will pay for the hours you spend thinking about it scrounging the materials or the hours and hours of training and time spent on things you have messed up and thrown away because it didn't look good when finished.

I saw your work last year or so on some metalshaping sites. I dont think it got the credits it deserved there... I love the creativity and the way you finish the surfaces! lotsa love in it to get balance like that. cool stuff, keep it coming please [P

Latest posts

Back