New compressor

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DozerII

So I had to buy a new compressor to replace the old tired one. I got this 11.5 CFM Black Diamond built by Sanborn. I was reading through the owners manual and maintenance instructions. I said the air filter should be checked daily and changed often :( no wonder) it's a 1 x 4 inch chunk of polyester filter media that would let chunks through. The local Home and Agro store had some Kohler 7x1.5 inch filters on clear out for $5.00 each.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

And a storage idea for ya, take a 5 gallon plastic bucket cut the bottom 10 inches off, cut a piece of aluminum leaving four tabs bent at 90 degrees so you can rivet it on to fill a little under 1/2 of the opening . Screw the bucket to the wall with a couple fender washers on the screws. Now you can hang your air hose on the bucket, the taper of the bucket keeps the hose on but if you need to pull more hose off there is nothing to stop it from coming off. The inside of the bucket is the prefect place for blow gun, tire chucks, pressure gauges etc.

attachment.php

attachment.php

I have a compressor exactly like it...

Made up a filter housing similar... used almost the same air filter set up... mine sits to the side instead of on top... Nice job on the housing...

Congratulations and well done, Dozer! [cl

Since we're here, I'll pass along a word of caution for everybody, if they don't know this already... never shut your compressor down before it completes its cycle. Normally, when the pressure switch is satisfied, the compressor quits and you hear the pssst... the pssst relieves the head pressure.

If you flip the switch (mid-cycle) and walk out for the night, the cycle is cut short and the head pressure remains... no issue for an old, leaky compressor, the head pressure will bleed off in no time... anyhow, a compressor in good condition will hold head pressure and severely tax the motor when it tries to start again.

A friend taught me this lesson. He had a brand spanking new compressor and let it run as he drove away to the night shift job we both worked at the time... before the compressor could finish its cycle, the power browned out and the electric motor killed itself for the next 10 or 12 hours, trying desperately to start against the head pressure. When the smoke cleared, (no pun intended) he spent as much on the replacement motor as he did on the compressor. :mad:

Latest posts

Back