diamond "T" tanker texaco

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

93blazer4dr

this is just badass and I have never seen one in person but would love to build one in the future.

Attachments

• Texaco_Tanker_1052_sized.jpg
    Texaco_Tanker_1052_sized.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 141
They are great looking tankers. I've only seen pictures of them. Doesn't look like they would hold a whole lot of gas.

only 6 made and none known to be around today. i wish i had the metal working skills to make one of my own.

thanks for adding the article!!! I ran across this by accident and glad I did. its just awesome and I bet some one some where has one rotting away but id still buy it!

Back in that time period, when a truck was wrecked or deemed too worn out to use, they scavenged parts off of them, often using the frame and running gear and building their own cabs. That is how Freightliner came into existence. Consolidated Freightways was one that used old frames and running gear and built new aluminum cabs for them. Each truck was hand built. They had to stop production during the war because all the aluminum was needed for airplanes. In fact, the US Govt bought all the aluminum Consolidated had during the war. After the war, Consolidated went back to building cabs for their trucks, and others seen them and they wanted some too, so Freightliner was spun off as a new company to build aluminum cab trucks.

I figure Texaco probably did the same thing, when those trucks were considered obsolete, they probably parted them out, maybe even scrapped them for the war effort.

Consolidated Freightways went out of business in the early 1990's. By then, Freightliner had been bought and sold several times and now is a part of Diamler Mercedes Benz.

I have seen some military tankers that were close in design to the Texaco ones. I think they use them for re-fueling aircraft. I don't know if they are a copy or not.

Latest posts

Back