Rat Rods Rule / Undead Sleds - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007!

Go Back   Rat Rods Rule / Undead Sleds - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007! > Rat Rod & Hot Rod Fotos!

Rat Rod & Hot Rod Fotos! Photos of Rat Rods & Hot Rods! We love 'um!!!

Old 03-15-2019, 09:27 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

There may be a simple answer. Tired 4 door Montclair out back. Munched good running diesel truck up front. Shop with fridge full of cold beer.
Old 03-15-2019, 09:44 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Nope, not feeling it. I've got to agree with the good DR, diesel is fine in a truck, but not a truck diesel in a car. I did own a VW Rabbit diesel one time, we bought it new, got around 40 mpg, and only smoked when you really got on it. But it was a small 4 cyl, not a huge truck 6 cyl with gobs of power. I get my diesel thrills driving my 500 hp, 13 speed truck grossed out at 80,000 lbs. I have no other need for one, not in a pickup or a car.

The two door Montclaire was a good looking car, the four door, ehhh, well just another family sedan.
Old 03-15-2019, 11:54 PM
Creators of all things awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05snopro440 View Post
I like the 12V Cummins but just like any engine I feel there's a place and purpose for them. To me it's not in a car that you won't be towing 16,000 lbs with and could get the fuel mileage and drivability with many choices of power train that are more compact, lighter, cheaper, simpler to work on, and don't smell like a diesel and fill other drivers with contempt because of the coal. That's just my opinion though and I know what that's worth

For sake of discussion, would you put a 12 Valve in your Fairlane? Just curious, to me it's similar.
I get your point they're not for everybody I do agree that they can be expensive to work on. But if it's a 12 valve like mine they are super simple to work on so that aspect would be nice. As to your question about putting one of my Fairlane probably not I would more likely put a powerstroke in it although I'm not a huge fan of the Powerstroke 6.0 for the 6.4 the 7.3 was a good motor. I think it would fit a little bit better in my car and they came in Fords so it's less wrong in my opinion.

Minterfab.com
Old 03-16-2019, 09:27 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Diesels were real popular in Europe for a long time. Mercedes was probably the best known, but others had them, too. Now, increased emission requirements and higher fuel costs have about killed them off.

There was a guy close to here that had an older Mercedes diesel that he ran off of cooking oil. Back then, restaurants would give away their old used oil, so he pretty much got free fuel, just had to strain it. I saw him a few times, his exhaust smelled like french fries cooking!

Haven't seen him in years, don't know what ever happened to him.