1939 Plymouth Rat (snake)

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some progress on the frame. Now to tig weld over 100 feet ... when cooler weather prevails!

Attachments

• IMG_2935b.jpg
    IMG_2935b.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_2937.jpg
    IMG_2937.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 76
Finally got the frame rails and suspension mounts finished.

Cross bracing is temporary. Once I decide on an engine/trans, I will either use the original 1939 cross bracing, or design new bracing. I'll likely use the old cross bracing as it is a good design ... and because steel is getting expensive.

Initially I was going to use a Supra/Soarer MK3 rear suspension assembly, but decided against it because of mounting complexity (newer Lexus subframes have a design that is easier to incorporate into traditional frame rails) and it is worth quite a bit. On the market it goes!

Then I was going to use a Ford 8.8, but ended up using a one-owner (Dad bought it new) 84 F150 9". The 8.8 rear disc brakes are a bolt on to the later, big bearing 9" rears.

The F150 9" rear is really wide, and even 1" wider that what the charts show, but works out with high offset wheels like I must use on the front.

Hope everyone enjoys their popcorn over the holiday weekend!

Attachments

• IMG_2972.jpg
    IMG_2972.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_2977.jpg
    IMG_2977.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 65
Finally got back to working on the frame ... after dealing with the frustrations of wiring a 1JZGTE engine and replacing a bad hairdryer (ceramic turbo wheel). Engine, trans and wiring are ready to go. Finally.

Yes, I'm nutz to use this powertrain, but it is a humdinger of an engine! About 300 hp stock, with essentially no turbo lag. Bottom end is good for 800 hp; 400-450 hp is possible with stock ECU, minor turbo upgrade and slightly bigger injectors. All from 2.5l.

Cross bracing in my frame is overkill. My metal supplier did not have 1 1/4 pipe, so I had to use 1 1/2". All that remains is final welding of the bracing and motor mounts.

Had to slightly massage the back section of the Lexus front suspension for clearance of the front sump. Rear sump pans are available, but rather pricey.

Body work comes next. New floor and body mounts needed.

Attachments

• IMG_3246.jpg
    IMG_3246.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_3245.jpg
    IMG_3245.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_3228.jpg
    IMG_3228.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_3229.jpg
    IMG_3229.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_3232.jpg
    IMG_3232.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 54
Frame is looking good, but I spent as much time looking at the frame cart he is building it on

[P

Waiting on body next

Frame is looking good, but I spent as much time looking at the frame cart he is building it on

I got lucky on I beams for the cart. A friend was looking for I beams to make an old style outdoor ramp for cars. I found these for $5/ft, and decided I needed some too. Then a year or so later found the super heavy duty aluminum casters, apparently from a Boeing factory, for a good price.

Thanks, 36Binder.

Finally got around to setting the body on the frame. I've been having fun (Ha!) making cardboard patterns for floor panels.

Almost finished with fabricating rocker panels. Since they are curved, this is a workout on the shrinking/stretching dies.

Current plan is to get the new floor panels tacked in, then put the body on a rotisserie for sand blasting and final welding. Fortunately the fenders are in excellent condition, so most of the patching is the floor and rockers.

Attachments

• IMG_3400.jpg
    IMG_3400.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_3401.jpg
    IMG_3401.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 59
Thanks, kenny c.

Torchie,

I think my 39 would look better with a pancaked roof. After I get a new floor in and the braces out, we'll see if I will have enough head room. If so, I will need to borrow some of your courage to start cutting up a good car!

Got a shoulder workout on the stretcher making curved rocker arms. But that is better than paying over $500 for store bought patch panels ... and I don't need a gym membership!

Firewall is next.

Attachments

• IMG_3443.jpg
    IMG_3443.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 34
Wrestled the body off the frame and chassis table. Now for the nasty part--sand blasting when the weather permits (raining now).

Since some of you expressed interest in my chassis jig, here are pics of my rotisserie. A nearby salvage yard where I sell scrap allows me to buy for 15 cents/lb, which is a steal for good steel. Over time, I accumulated most of the pieces for the rotisserie. Replaced a rickety one I had cobbled up for an earlier project.

Attachments

• IMG_3471.jpg
    IMG_3471.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_3472.jpg
    IMG_3472.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 25

Latest posts

Back