Truth in the printed word

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gassersgarage

The California Kid
The thread on HPTV got me thinking about magazine articles. Do any of you remember the first Big Block Vega called "Vega High" in Popular Hot Rodding magazine. I remember the guy who built it and ended up working for the magazine. They cruised it down to "Jack n' the Box" on Van Nuys Blvd, still in primer. I thought it was "BAD".
They got the motor out of the "Fly United" Corvette. It was a fuel injected 482". They promised the readership that the Vega would go 9"s! The fastest the Vega ever went was a 10:34 (which is fast in 75-76'), but told the readers the car finally went 9's.
There was a guy in Orange County that was a wiz with smallblocks. He had a mustard colored Vega, sbc, auto and G78 tires. The car ran brackets out of Irwindale dialing in at 12:0. The car was considerably faster. I asked the owner how he slowed the car down. He disconnected the secondaries.
Anyhow, he asked "Vega High" to a heads up race and was turned down.

It must be funny to see someone you know in print, especially if you know the truth..........:D

PS - Anyone interested in how a V8 Vega can "hook up" on G78's? He used a switch pitch converter and would flick it off and on.:rolleyes:

I'm not sure if I remember reading about that Vega or not gasser. I might be confusing it in my mind with what was reported at the time to be the first pro-street car, which I think was a Vega also. Wait, it might have also been a Mustang II, I've lost it now. I'm not real surprised though. Some cars appear as though they would run any number that the owner claimed. It would be hard to know the truth unless you had first hand information such as this.

I'm not sure if I remember reading about that Vega or not gasser. I might be confusing it in my mind with what was reported at the time to be the first pro-street car, which I think was a Vega also. Wait, it might have also been a Mustang II, I've lost it now. I'm not real surprised though. Some cars appear as though they would run any number that the owner claimed. It would be hard to know the truth unless you had first hand information such as this.
It was the first pro-street anything that I ever saw. The guy that did the chassis work and motor swap told me what numbers the car ran. It was eventually painted black with gold stripes. After the article, a Dentist bought the car and had it disassembled. Went with a full tube chassis, alcohol motor and a 76' or 77' front clip. After that, I kinda loss interest in magazines.

I know CarCraft did a Mustang ll in the late 70's/early 80's that was tubbed and had a Boss 429 if I recall.

But I also know there was a Challenger or 'Cuda back then that was street driven with a pro stock Hemi and Lenco tranny. Supposedly ran 9's. I'm thinking it was considered one of the first "pro street' cars.

Then again, even back then I found Pro Street weird. I liked everything but the tubs and wheel combos because I wanted the mill but also wanted it to corner! LOL. Not like the crap they're doing now with DUBs but just 8-900 hp and able to get around a corner time to time. :D

I know CarCraft did a Mustang ll in the late 70's/early 80's that was tubbed and had a Boss 429 if I recall.

But I also know there was a Challenger or 'Cuda back then that was street driven with a pro stock Hemi and Lenco tranny. Supposedly ran 9's. I'm thinking it was considered one of the first "pro street' cars.

Then again, even back then I found Pro Street weird. I liked everything but the tubs and wheel combos because I wanted the mill but also wanted it to corner! LOL. Not like the crap they're doing now with DUBs but just 8-900 hp and able to get around a corner time to time. :D
As I recall, those cars were part of the Detroit crowd veying for "King of the Hill" on Woodward Ave. I think the title was going back and forth between those two.
Ahhhh, those were the days.:rolleyes: I didn't care what my car looked like, as long as it could make me money on a Saturday night. Dragging myself home as the sun came up. Cruising Van Nuys Blvd......:cool:

Stayin' rat here!

Here you don't even have to race. They can take your car out of your driveway and take your license and charge you with "intent to street race" if you even have aftermarket rims!!

Note to self: Do NOT move to Canada... likely end up in jail!!!

BoB

yikes, that is hardcore and plain wrong. the cops can't set foot on your property here unless someone is in physical danger. the most they can do is have a car towed if it's sitting on the lawn and thats after trying to contact the owner several times. (this hardly ever even happens, they have better things to do then code enforcement)

those are some hardcore rules...those will never pass where i come from...here u can appeal on everything and in most cases u win..but it takes time also:)

We have NO rights in Canada. If they decide something like this, it just "happens". Funny thing is there is no real street racing in Toronto. Hasn't been in 30 years!! The cars involved in these accidents are merely speeding. Last one was a minivan cutting off a truck. Most of the others have been Porches and Mercedes racing each other off a light. One case a couple cousins got stupid in the rain!! But it's the ricer kids they're targetting!! Stupid eh?

They even ticketted a kid awhile back for a FACTORY spolier!!

We have NO rights in Canada. If they decide something like this, it just "happens". Funny thing is there is no real street racing in Toronto. Hasn't been in 30 years!! The cars involved in these accidents are merely speeding. Last one was a minivan cutting off a truck. Most of the others have been Porches and Mercedes racing each other off a light. One case a couple cousins got stupid in the rain!! But it's the ricer kids they're targetting!! Stupid eh?

They even ticketted a kid awhile back for a FACTORY spolier!!
Most times, we are our own worst enemy. It's like a cruise spot getting shut down for the squirrels peeling out, or drinking and causing fights. We have to police ourselves if we want the heat to die down.

How many posts have you seen about a guy bragging about how loud is pipes are. Seen pics of guys peeling out on a city street. Then these same guys call a cop a p**k because they got a ticket. I haven't been stopped since I was 16. Once was enough and I certainly wouldn't complain if I got stopped for blue dots. I know they're illegal and will fix it if I get a ticket.

My first ticket was about 15 minutes after getting my license for "excessive noise-Squealing of Tires"

I earned it!! Cop looks at my license and says "you haven't had this long eh?"

There's more to the story but you get the point!

Nowadays they'd call out the SWAT team!!

My first ticket was about 15 minutes after getting my license for "excessive noise-Squealing of Tires".
I earned it!! Cop looks at my license and says "you haven't had this long eh?"
There's more to the story but you get the point!
Nowadays they'd call out the SWAT team!!
Wow, that reminds me of my prom night. I worked in a gas station and had a 64' Bug. The other guys had a 67' Camaro and a 67" GTX. They said I had to take one of their cars to the prom. I said, no way! I don't drive other peoples cars. The guy with the Camaro hopped in my Bug and took off.
Cruising out to the beach with my date in the Camaro, I raced a schoolmate. He had a 68' 442. I got caught by a Beverly Hills cop and I'm still in the tuxedo. He took pity on me and gave me a ticket for inadequate mufflers. :eek:

A matter of wording....

HAHA. That's funny!

Like one night my '68 Newport was backfiring and split the muffler in half. I replaced it with a single glasspak and a few days later blew it off the end of the pipe by backfiring again. (Whoops!! Found out later the condensor wasn't grounding in the dist., a minor twist of a screwdriver later...fixed, oops!!)

I was in a hurry so being 18 ran back and grabbed the muffler. (Ouch, ouch, ouchies, hot hot hot, owwies!!)

Later on I'm at a light and that thing is so loud the dash is vibrating!! Cop in the next lane. i KNOW I'm busted!! So why not eh?

FLOOR IT!! Oooh, pretty lights!!

Cop says. 'you have a muffler?"

and I say "Yes Sir."

he says "well where is it?"

At this point we're standing next to the passenger door so I open it and point at the glaspak sitting in the passenger footwell and say 'Right there!"

Cop doesn't drop a beat, says "well, you know son, it's SUPPOSED to be underneath the car!!"

and then he wrote me a 24 hour warning...

There's a story there too but......:D

Latest posts

Back