Darn SCHOOL LOANS

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigd4xman

Ok guys and gals I gotta get this off my chest. I started going to Wyotech at age 17 and decided it wasn't for me so I dropped classes about 2 months later. Needless to say the bill collectors are after me and I can't repay because I started going to school again at a local tech college 3 years ago, took a year off and went beck and just finished up this year, and have been out for 2 months and can't get a job, what the heck 2 years for nothing?!:mad: I went to be trained as an Automotive Technician, because I love cars:D needless to say there's supposed to be a big shortage of technicians and I can't land a job even with a Associate of Applied Sciences Degree in this field and being in the top 5% of my class! And now to top it all off the loan repayment schedule for my previous training has kicked in so I had to apply for a forebearance on that one as well. What do I do, the only thing I can keep my payments caught up on are my tools and box, this sucks.:eek:

A question!

What do I do, the only thing I can keep my payments caught up on are my tools and box, this sucks.:eek:

4xman,
I'm not familiar with those programs but do they make any kind of representations about finding you jobs? Also, off the cuff I'd say don't lose your tools!

Rattler

Rattler, the only people that help try to find the jobs are the instructors, and they are only able to help in the immediate surrounding area, I'm definately NOT going to lose my tools they make me money right now and they are my LIFE for the most part, besides I've already got about 3grand wrapped up in them.:eek:

I feel for you. The trouble with these types of schools is that they make you believe that when you come out of school everybody will be beating down your door for a job. As you are finding out, that isn't the case. When I worked at the marina we had tons of guys come in applying for jobs, who had been to a school like Marine Mechanics Institute. When we told them we needed people with years of experience actually working on boats, they told us they were hearing that every place they applied. We actually hired two as entry level techs, and ended up letting both go because they couldn't keep up the pace and really knew very little.

Bottom line, you are going to have to get some experience, and the way you do that is take a starting position that may be below what you want, but at least it will get your foot in the door. Then, as they see how good you are, you can move up, and even use that job as a springboard to better and better jobs.

As for the collectors beating on your door, that is tough. I was in credit and collections for lots of years, and they only know one thing.........you owe the money and they want it. Your options would be to possibly claim bankruptcy, which would get you off the hook entirely, go to a non profit credit counciling service who will try to negotiate extended terms for you, or try to work out a better plan with the collectors who are dogging you.

Bankruptcy is not the horrible, end-of-your-credit-life situation some people make it out to be. I'm certainly not suggesting you do that, but in today's economy it is becoming more and more common. My one Son had to do it about 12 years ago, he got hooked up with a girl who drained every cent he had and then ran up lots of credit card debt. As soon as the bankruptcy was finalized, he started getting applications for new credit cards and solicitations for new car loans. Today he has fully recovered, and has bought two brand new cars in the last 5 years, two boats, and has Visa and M/C, all with great credit. So it isn't the end of the world.

But, if you can work out a plan with the collectors, that is much better, and if you hint that you are considering bankruptcy, they sometimes realize they had better work with you before they lose everything.

Good luck, and let us know how you make out.

Don

I went to a trade school to learn commercial art. I never took out a loan though, because I had a full time job after school. After graduation, the school helped me land my first job in the business. After that, I was never out of work. Most jobs came through word of mouth.

Don't know about your area, but in SoCal, there are lots of jobs for GOOD mechanics. A friend of mine owns a shop and he has a hard time finding anyone qualified. The last mechanic thought one car a day was good enough, but wondered why he didn't make any money. After a month, he was fired.

I know that my friend looks for graduates of UTI or Wyotech........

Dig D,
I was in the automotive industry for over 17 yrs, all I can say is "It's tough". Like Don suggested, you may have to go to a local tire shop and just try to get your foot in the door as a tire guy. (It ain't glamerous but will pay the bills for the most part) once you get on as a tire guy, you make real good friends with the "ACE" mechanic an learn what you can from his OJT. Then see if you can start doing the simple brake job or alignment and work your way up from there.

It is a long hard road that you have chosen to travel, but can be very rewarding. I don't want to discourage you at all, but some times, you have to be "Cut Throat" aggresive to get where you want to be in the automotive industry.

I sure hope I have been of some assistance to you. If there is anything I can help with, Don't be bashfull, just ask, or shoot me a PM. I will be glad to help you any way I can.

Thanks for the info and suggestions guys, and as far as being aggressive I think maybe some of the time I'm a little too aggressive and scare employers away? As for the collectors, I hadn't considered bankruptcy and that may be my only option as I'm dead broke and without a job and in order to get even a decent one I'm going to have to move and that will pretty much take whatever I'm making to get done.

Big D,I dont know if you deal with any tool trucks.If so let them know that you are lookin.I have found jobs for guys before.I still have shops ask me daily if I know of some good help.I know it is tough but dont give up.Just keep on beating on those doors.I also was a service tech for many years.I know how tough it can be to get into a good shop.

Good luck.

I'm not looking forward to my school loans kicking in. I'll be graduating with a Bachelors in Psychology in December. I'll probably go straight into grad school so that I don't have to pay them back right now!:D I guess as long as I stay in school for the rest of my life, I'll never have to pay them back!!!!:cool:

Thanks for the info and suggestions guys, and as far as being aggressive I think maybe some of the time I'm a little too aggressive and scare employers away? As for the collectors, I hadn't considered bankruptcy and that may be my only option as I'm dead broke and without a job and in order to get even a decent one I'm going to have to move and that will pretty much take whatever I'm making to get done.

Don't feel bad if you do. I was once told "If you're in a position to THINK about Bankruptcy, then if you DO, you've already improved your credit/situation."

Credit is based on "ability to pay". if you improve your situation in a few yesrs, your credit will be fine.

Right now your priority is to SURVIVE!!

I've worked as a courier doing "collection" for these guys and to them, you're just a number and a sheet of paper in front of them. Get to know your options as some of the stuff they pull/say is incorrect and sometimes just plain illegal. Trust me on this, they ARE NOT trying to help!

Speaking to them can help but if they pull the "I can't help you, you better FIND someone to borrow the money from OR ELSE" crap. Time to look for other options including bankrupcy. Bankrupcy protects you. I would think that even in the U.S., it'd be free to consult one (A banruptcy company). It usually is here. They assess your situation and discuss your options.

Ironically a few years ago we were told we didn't owe ENOUGH to go bankrupt! And when we (my wife as her Mom suggested it, LOL) spoke to a credit counseler the lady told my wife, "I can't help you, truth is I don't know how you guys have survived. We could take some tips from YOU!!" LOL

Latest posts

Back