I'm baking, but I love it!!!!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Inked Monkey

Tarzan's tatted best friend
People are really looking at me weird today. The thermometer is reading 107 and I 'm still driving the 64 all over the place. I just did all the bs errands and everywhere I stopped people were praising me for driving it in this weather. As long as your moving its fine, but when I got stuck on the highway it sucked and I think I started to cook!:cool:

thats the way it is driving my 63 truck, no ac and no firewall insulation or carpet. i get ambient air temp plus that oh so nice header heat......

You're a better man then I am. Guess I'm kinda spoiled living here in SoCal. I'm within walking distance of the beach. It's 3 pm and the temp is mid 70's with a breeze. Other places in SoCal are hot. The Valley, Riverside, OC, etc.......But no one in my neighborhood has air, just ceiling fans. The trade off is no garage space and no room to build, even if the city allowed it.

Friend of mine, in Redondo Beach, added on to his garage by telling the city he wanted to add a tack room. Once the inspection was over, he removed the studs and now has a 4 car garage. I 'm jealous of some of the build pics, the garages look huge...........

I hear you on the no ac, plus with the top chopped, i get no air circulation, the heat has been horrible here, i bet don is really baking down south. Ill take 115 in the desert over this florida crap anyday.

I feel your pain here in S. Fla. No a/c in either of my rods. I get pretty hot in there but I drive em anyway. The bomber seats in my coupe get nice and toasty if the car has been sitting outside for a while.

When I went to the Street Rod Nationals in Bakersfield, one day it hit 103. My 31' doesn't have a headliner so I was baking. As soon as I got home, I glued some heat insulation up there. It's tolerable now.

Next car's gonna have air............

I'm sortta glad I can't drive mine right now,
104 temp yesterday with 112 heat index, same thing expected for the next 3 days.
Hotroddaddy,
I agree, 143 desert heat in Afghanistan isn't as bruital as 104 and sweltering Alabama / Florida heat......THIS SUX......

Meltdown!!!

I'm sortta glad I can't drive mine right now,
104 temp yesterday with 112 heat index, same thing expected for the next 3 days.

Looks like the south is hot all over... after 2 months of rain every day here it has *finally* stopped & now we have 109 110 heat index in the dazes here & since we're 50 miles form the coast... the humidity is extremely high!

Inked,
Same here, not *too awful bad* while your crusin'... but if you have to stop... meltdown!!!

BoB

When I went to the Street Rod Nationals in Bakersfield, one day it hit 103. My 31' doesn't have a headliner so I was baking. As soon as I got home, I glued some heat insulation up there. It's tolerable now.

Next car's gonna have air............

Hey, I never thought of that. Mine doesn't have a headliner either. What stuff did you use? This would probably make it a little quieter in there also!

Hey, I never thought of that. Mine doesn't have a headliner either. What stuff did you use? This would probably make it a little quieter in there also!
I got it at the speed shop. It's called 3 in 1 insulation, part# 25070, for heat and sound insulation. They make 2 types. i sided and 2 sided. 1 sided has foil on 1 side. 2 sided has foil on both sides. Since I don't have a headliner, I used the 1 sided and glued the foil to the roof. That way, the padding faces inward and is dark grey in color. Kinda matches the dull metal better.
There's also a product called Dyna Mat, but I think it's foil on both sides.
The insulation makes a huge difference.

Toronto's hetter than HELL. But I been sick since Aug25th so haven't really been out. Wife says "you should be glad".LOL.

The heat is one reason I been seriously trying to find a way to immigrate to Tasmania but I think my health may bugger that up!

The a/c went out on my daily driver about two years ago, and I don't feel like spending $ 900 to fix it, so I have just lived with it. There was no problem when I was working, because I went in at 6:30 when it was cool, and came home at about 6:30 PM, when it was also relatively cool. But now that I am driving around at noon, it is super hot when you stop.

Guess I'm gonna have to get it fixed. :(

Don

I feel for you guys. I was in Florida to go to Disney World. Humidity was so high, the sugar in those little packets was clumped up. The tissue was damp inside the hotel room. It was only 92 but humidity was like 98%.

Yep, it's the humidity that gets you. Dan and I installed 4 wall fans last week, just to try to get some air moving in the shop.........helped somewhat, but sometimes I am still sweating all over the place. We bought two of those 144 oz big gulp containers that you can refill for like $ 1.25, and every night we empty them, and also hit the water cooler a lot. :eek:

Last night I worked until about 2:30 AM because the humidity was low and I could actually get some work done without causing rust on every car part I got near. The trouble with the fans is that they are so noisy you can't hear the shop stereo now, but it is better than cooking.

Don

You guys are lucky. I don't have a garage to work in. I had a plastic sheet set up overhead, but the sun and heat destroyed it in a few days. I put up a canvas tarp, but the wind picked up one night and I haven't seen it since. So now I just work outside in the hot sun. The trees help during the early part of the day, but after 10:00 AM forget it. I had to buy an umbrella for my tool box. I stopped for lunch at around 1:30 PM and had left my tools in the sun. Later I came back out and reached for a wrench...WOWEE ZOWEE!!!. (One day I'll go look for that wrench). I've even gone so far as to use masking tape on the chrome door handles.
I remember seeing a device in Nevada called a "mister". It's a length of hose with tiny pin holes along it. One end is blocked and the other is attached to a water faucet with low pressure. It's horizontaly mounted high overhead and water is emitted as a downward spray. As the hot wind blows, the cool water spray chills it. The water evaporates before it gets to you so all you feel is cool air. Air conditioning for the outdoors.
I think I'll make a smaller version that will sit in front of a large box fan.

Misters!!!

It's horizontaly mounted high overhead and water is emitted as a downward spray. As the hot wind blows, the cool water spray chills it. The water evaporates before it gets to you so all you feel is cool air. Air conditioning for the outdoors.
I think I'll make a smaller version that will sit in front of a large box fan.

Lakota,
As u probably know... after the rain stopped it's been pretty hot here in H-town! Mon, Tues, Wed the heat index was between 110-112. A lot of restaurants with outdoor patios are using misters in front of fans or big garage type fans that have misters incorporated. They *really* work well & that is probably a necessity for u!!!

BoB

i need some shade for my work area too, i've got trees that keep the house cool all day but no garage and the sun beats on me all day. really takes it out of you.

Yeah, I should have thought of this "mister" thing a long time ago. I'm at the end of my build now. I'll put it in the shop next week for an exhaust system upgrade, (yeah, I'm gonna muffle it). All I have left to do is the interior and tidy up loose wires. Then I'm gonna drive it till the wheels fall off.

I guess I have it good here. Desert climate in view of the Rock Mountains. We only get about 8 inches of rain per year and the humidity is really low. I have two swamp coolers in the shop, and they make it nice. Big wood stove in the winter, and I am toasty. I am feelin for you guys though, I have relatives in Texas, Oklahoma, and Florida, and they are all talkin about the heat!

Latest posts

Back