"unibody" model a?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

td9323

Ive got a new project, a very rough 31 coupe that I want to channel and put on a boxed stock frame. What do you guys think about just building it all together as a unit instead of the whole subfloor deal. I dont really foresee having to take the two apart. Car already had a five inch chop and I want to channel about three inches, dont really want to kill an inch with a bunch of box tubing. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• coupe body 001.jpg
    coupe body 001.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 49
  • coupe body 002.jpg
    coupe body 002.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 25
That sounds cool and would be something different if you can figure it out.
I have thought of the same thing a few times but i do like to be able to tache the cab off the frame though.
I wander if it would flex much under exceleration?It would have to be lighter for sure,even with a four cyl in er it could be wicked fast in a unibody version ,if you kept down the weight. I'll be watchin the build closely if ya do!!!I hate to say it but i have been wanting to start a 4cyl project?

Tetanus shot!!!

Ive got a new project, a very rough 31 coupe that I want to channel and put on a boxed stock frame.

TD,
Doesn't look really rough to me... perfect really! Just be sure u're tetanus shot is current!!! :D Looks like a kool project & please keep us up to date as you make progress!!!

BoB

You can do it that way if you want. The things that suffer are access for painting and parts installation/removal. Racecars are built with the body welded to the chassis on a regular basis.

...and if you don't get it right the first time, you have to do lots more cutting and welding. Bolting the body down has its advantages.

Here it is currently with the body bolted on.

Attachments

• coupe, truck 002 (Small).jpg
    coupe, truck 002 (Small).jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 31
  • coupe, truck 005 (Small).jpg
    coupe, truck 005 (Small).jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 30
I really don't see any advantage to welding the two together, and a whole lot of disadvantages. Painting all the hidden areas as mentioned would be one, and also you need to be able to shim the body somewhat to get gaps and things to fit. You may not think the body ever has to come back off, but believe me, it does happen for various reasons.

Biggest reason though is that we always find things later on that we need to change and it would be very hard to work on them with the body on there I think.

Don

Latest posts

Back