"Paradise Road"......first house on the right

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yup happy anniversary to you and the Mrs!!! The house is looking fantastic!!!!!

I just don't get it though how do you build a beautiful house so fast but your truck is taking so long??

Congrats on the 34 yrs! I'm only 13 yrs into mine and I hope I'm NOT building houses in another 21 yrs! [cl

Thanks guys! Well I survived the anniversary and was ready to tear it up again on the porches but my dirt guy showed up on Monday and wanted to dig the water line so I switched to plumbing mode.

530 feet through the woods.......

Stopped along the way and roughed in a spot for a cellar......

Continued meandering along following the path of least resistance i.e. "dodging trees" .........

The last 150 feet went through a rocky swamp so some conduit was in order....

Snipped the roots out of the way and smoothed out the bottom of the ditch, ran the one inch line including a spur line to the cellar and covered it by hand with enough fine dirt to protect it when back filling.

To be continued....

So after the water line was taken care of we jumped back on the porch framing......fought some rain showers the rest of the week but still managed to get the second floor on........

And start framing the ceiling......

Then onto the rafters......

Starting to take on a bit of an "Antebellum" look out back.......

Finished up the roof framing on Saturday between showers.......

I'm about "geometry'd" out.......sometimes I wish I had paid more attention in school. :eek:

Weather looks good for a couple days so I should be able to get the roof sheathed and dried in. Also took delivery of the exterior doors that lead onto the porches so maybe I can get those installed this coming week.

To be continued......

Snake Farm, just got thru reading your entire build. Great work. You'll never regret taking pix every step of the way. I did the same when I built this cabin I live in 21 years ago. There's some memories that can't be forgot. That grandboys face shows it all...

must not get very cold there, as you are only down what looks like 2 ft.

that would freeze solid here in the winter.

Yeah, about 24-28 inches for the most part. We get below zero temps here but usually not for an extended period of time.....most folks here consider the frost line to be 18 to 20 inches but I like to keep stuff at 24" for the most part. The last time I saw a water line freeze below 24 inches was in 1977 when it stayed about 15-20 below zero for three weeks, we had just finished up a house and had buried the water line at 36 inches due to the way the final grading turned out and that line froze solid! The water line to my house is about 20 inches deep and has done fine since 1979.

Snake Farm, just got thru reading your entire build. Great work. You'll never regret taking pix every step of the way. I did the same when I built this cabin I live in 21 years ago. There's some memories that can't be forgot. That grandboys face shows it all...

Thanks man, yeah I'm a picture taking fool LOL and it's so easy nowadays with the digital stuff. I took several pics as I was building my house in 1979 and it's always fun to go back and look at them.......except for the part where my hair was black and my stomach was flat :eek:

It's been 2 weeks, I know you're getting something done.

Probably just about done.

Holy crap, now it's been three weeks! I'm slacking on the updates aren't I :eek: I've been jumping around on stuff quite a bit due to this and that and haven't been making a lot of show.......although "Old Mother Nature" has been showing her a$$ quite a bit......

I did finally get the back porch roof dried in though.....

..which allowed me to finalize the metal order for the roofing and in the meantime with the impending winter weather I turned my attention to closing up some of the gaping holes. Started with these oversize (42") doors w/transoms that exit onto the second floor porch from the master bedroom and study

In this view from the second floor porch you will notice the water line is all covered including a spur line to a yard hydrant in the garden (the clearing just past the cellar hole....

Took care of the 4' X 8' hole on the first floor with this......

....and do they really need to tell you things like this :confused:

Hang on for more.......

Built custom doors for the other two holes......:p

....still have a concrete patio to pour out back so waiting till that's in before putting in the basement door and the front door is and eight foot tall carved Mahogany door that will probably be left out as long as I can to cut down on the chances of damaging it.

Cut some insulation and stuffed the eaves.......

....and this thing is pretty airtight....for a shell anyway.

On bad days I've been firing up a "finger warmer"......

and working on stuff like these pocket door frames....

And I've started on roughing in the plumbing drains....

...and vents

Stay tuned........

On pretty days my dirt guy has been doing some more site work including roughing in the garage site....

And through the woods and across the way we got new neighbors a couple weeks ago.......they cheated a little though LOL

This past week wasn't too bad weather wise and these two big crates arrived....

So I built this "jungle jim" out front and started on the easy stuff.....

Sixteen inch wide panels with hidden fasteners........Max-Loc standing seam in Acrylume Clear Coat.......which means if the sky is purple then the roof is purple

Grey sky.....grey roof

Blue sky.......blue roof

Haven't seen it in direct sunlight yet but one can assume it will be blinding! LOL

I never thought I'd be this long getting it under permanent roof but that's where I'm at and I'm dealing with it.......pluggin' away on whatever I can as the weather dictates.

To be continued....

So are you going to be doing it all yourself 100% or getting some helpers in there to help finish it up?
You have some amazing skills, definitely tuned in!

The house is looking great. I have heard of raised rib roofing . But never with that kind of finish on it. Keep up the good work .I enjoy all the pics.

Latest posts

Back