1937 Chevy Coupe

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Always liked the lines of a '37 Chevy coupe. Will you be working on the car all the way to the finish?

I like the low engine/trans mounting. I did mine the same way, I didn't want to cut up the firewall and tunnel, so I kept mine where the SBC was originally. I might have had less exhaust interference if I had of raised mine a couple of inches, but my crank pulley sits dead center of my spring crossmember, 2" above it, so it looks like a factory install.

Always liked the lines of a '37 Chevy coupe. Will you be working on the car all the way to the finish?

I expect as much... unless we suffer a major falling out, or one of us dies before it's done! :eek:

I like the low engine/trans mounting. I did mine the same way, I didn't want to cut up the firewall and tunnel, so I kept mine where the SBC was originally. I might have had less exhaust interference if I had of raised mine a couple of inches, but my crank pulley sits dead center of my spring crossmember, 2" above it, so it looks like a factory install.

I hear ya, Bama. We can't find a good reason to recess the firewall or build a tunnel where one doesn't exist or need to. (Different story if we were building a pavement scraper on airbags.) This car will be a practical, effective driver for our lousy streets and roads. Fairgrounds, car shows and cool "aired-out" pics are not the goal. (No offense to fellow members!)

Thank You Dr. C, for going the extra mile for us.

Much better to see pics.
Never was much on reading books without pics :rolleyes:
Work On [P[P[P

I apologize again for the missing photos and the repeat post. :eek: I promise to do better from here....

Some small progress...

B-tard acquired a steering column from a friend of his. By the numbers, it's a '64 Impala piece... with tilt. :D (The friend got the column with a finished car and never swapped it for his fixed column.) We're pleased to have this piece and avoid the big, ugly, plastic junk with ignition, shifter and 32 other functions attached...

attachment.php

Happy with the "find", we removed the existing lower joint, cleaned it up some and found this oversize spline... butt-welded to the shaft!

attachment.php

attachment.php

That ^^^ might be the new definition of butt-weld. (It is in my book.)

We knew we'd have to shorten a column, now we'll have to graft another shaft with a proper end. No big deal, just a surprise we didn't expect.

Pressing forward, we mocked the column with a new steering wheel. We raised the hole in the floor/firewall and fashioned a makeshift drop mount. We have it positioned as functional and comfortable as we can make it.

attachment.php

Next, we'll have to recess the column to gain some valuable space and geometry for the steering joints and shafts, all the while, paying attention to foot space. Example photo below.

attachment.php

That's all for this round. (I should have titled this thread, "Complicated Simplicity".)

Attachments

• column new.JPG
    column new.JPG
    118.1 KB · Views: 131
  • column spline1.JPG
    column spline1.JPG
    197.8 KB · Views: 132
  • column spline2.JPG
    column spline2.JPG
    200.7 KB · Views: 133
  • column steering1 (10).JPG
    column steering1 (10).JPG
    121.3 KB · Views: 132
  • column recessed.jpg
    column recessed.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 136
Here's the wheel, Torchie...

https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/grt-967/overview/

We haven't touched the car for a couple months, but we finally got together for a few hours (Sunday) and we have the steering fit... at least from the firewall forward...

We found it necessary to recess the column and its mounting flange, in order to reduce joint angles and hopefully, allow header removal without removing the steering...

I believe we've accomplished that with the "box" pictured below. We cut the firewall and made the box extra deep so we could slide the box in or out to fit...

attachment.php

We had previously notched our MII creation for the steering and I'm glad we did...

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

There it is! The header can wiggle out and the joint angles are good.

Next, we'll attack the hybrid steering column. It'll be a little Toronado and mostly Impala...

Attachments

• steering1.JPG
    steering1.JPG
    170.9 KB · Views: 14
  • steering2.JPG
    steering2.JPG
    173 KB · Views: 131
  • steering3.JPG
    steering3.JPG
    171.6 KB · Views: 130
  • steering4.JPG
    steering4.JPG