Calling all s-10 frame swap guru's

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

studebaker59

I have a chevy ad to s-10 swap going on. The problem I am having is with the engine and trans installed, cab, front sheet metal, and me standing on the front the suspension is still topped out. So I was wondering what springs have been working for everybody. :confused:

Was the S-10 a 4 cylinder? If so, try springs from a 4.3 V6 S-10... or a V8 G-body - Monte Carlo, Regal or Cutlass.

I believe the S-10 4.3 springs have a higher rate than the G-body but don't quote me!

I just cut a loop and 1/2 off my springs to set them down to the stance that looked right for me ... didnt seem to be stiff to me either . I also took out the bump stop .

It was a 4.3 extended cab the 4cyl may work. Cutting off one coil will increase the spring rate, I think it is too stiff now.

Stude-dude, I'm in the same predicament as you so I'm quietly stealing all of the information you get on your thread. Mine is a Mustang II suspension, though.
I got confused at the end when you said that cutting one coil off the spring would increase the spring rate. Can you go into that a little more for me. Tomorrow I am going to cut so I'd like to know all of the info. Thank you.

You shouldn't have to change anything on a stock S10 spring.
The AD's I've done have had the stock springs. They all had a great ride and had the right ride height too.
If they are topped out, something else is wrong.
Did you get this frame as a complete truck to start with?
Here' a 51 AD and a 52 F1 on S10's with stock springs.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 46                       2014-10-22.jpg
    46 2014-10-22.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 115
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 109
The Ad is on a 4 cyl S10 chassis with a 350 4 speed
The Ford still has the fuel injected 4.3 V6 and 4l60e tranny in it.
Both are on original springs.
Like I said there has to be something else wrong if the suspension isn't being compressed with the engine, tranny and front clip on it let alone your weight too.
Shocks stuck or ??????

I have the same issue with my S10 swap. My issue is a matter of setback and the ole measure twice cut once theory. In this case it's measure twice weld once. I'm doing 46 Studebaker, when I first set the cab and fenders on the frame I measured marked the frame and such then removed it all and set the motor/trans in. Made my motor mounts and trans crossmember then put the body back on. Somehow I have the motor 6 inches too far back and have to redo it. The one thing I noticed is that with the motor that far back the suspension didn't drop at all. Maybe yours is a similar situation where the weight isn't over the axle/crossmember as much as the stock setup was.

That's what I am thinking the motor is 4" back, and the ad cab doesn't weight as much as the s-10. Must be a m series your are putting on the s-10 frame.

everybody was right

Well I waited until I have the truck all most done. The V6 springs are going to be fine. With the cab 3.5 inches off the frame the running boards are 7 inches off the ground. Thank you for all the feed back. You all were right.

Attachments

• 2015021595133042.jpg
    2015021595133042.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 34

Latest posts

Back