Upside down callipers, how to bleed them.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gold03

He lives in an "Altered State"!
Yeah, I know. That is a weird thing to do... but...

This is required when the callipers are intentionally swapped from left to right in order to create brake line clearance or to disentangle a brake line installation and routing.

The side to side swap puts the bleeder down and the brake line at the top of the calliper making it difficult to bleed the brakes because bubbles want to rise. Unless you do the following...

Find a piece of flat bar stock the same thickness as the rotor. remove the rotor and put the bar stock between the brake pads. Now turn the calliper and let it hang down in such a way that the brake line is rising toward the calliper and the bleeder is pointed up so the bubbles can come out of the bleeder.

Proceed to pump and bleed brakes as per usual.

Not mine, but see example below

When you are finished, reinstall the calliper and shoes.

Attachments

• upside down calliper.jpg
    upside down calliper.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 47
That works for bleeding the line but you will still have the potential for air in the calliper. Pressure bleeding may work if there is enough flow.

I thought at first it was a question too.....

But, sure sounds like it works.... I've bled a few thru the lines before but I'm sure there could be air left inside the caliper but seemed to work out ok at the time...
Drive on Gold... Drive on... [cl

Latest posts

Back