Bug to Butterfly

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gives it a chubby roadster look. Maybe if you sectioned it about 4” to get rid of some of the thick body look it could work.......

Probably be easier to build a Model T or Model A style pickup bed, shortened of course.

Gives it a whole new look with the window frames gone. Continuing to work on the cowl and ponder what I'm going to do with the back end. Getting ready to cap the doors as well as finish off the back side of the windshield frame.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_1453.jpg
    IMG_1453.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_1454.jpg
    IMG_1454.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 39
It's looking good! Personally if you're going to use that back end idea I would try to mimic more of a Model A or 32 roadster type rear line. Meaning I think it might look better if you brought the rear deck up for a flatter line, and then pie cut it in the curve to make a sharper curve and come back down more to vertical. I drew a rough line on one of your photos to give an idea of what I mean.

I also include a photo of a 29 and 32 roadster to try to give a better idea. To me those cars are iconic for a reason, so to mimic something that has a nice well-flowing shape makes sense to me. :) Just my thoughts.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• Inked79336321_10220895610885070_4575223708884402176_o_LI.jpg
    Inked79336321_10220895610885070_4575223708884402176_o_LI.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 30
  • Annotation 2019-12-05 093755.jpg
    Annotation 2019-12-05 093755.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 25
  • 186004_Side_Profile_Web.jpg
    186004_Side_Profile_Web.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 24
I think the front is too far forward. Slide it back to just behind the door post and see what it looks like. IIRC, in a Bug, the seat back is even with or just behind the door post. Legroom.

I think the front is too far forward. Slide it back to just behind the door post and see what it looks like. IIRC, in a Bug, the seat back is even with or just behind the door post. Legroom.
There is something disturbing to me about having the doors longer than the cockpit. If I were designing this, the front of the "trunk" panel would be at least six inches behind the door. Unless, of course, you plan to carve out some of that panel.

Anyway, I like that you are carving up a bug to make your own creation. I have long wanted to do something to a bug, myself. You are sparking that fantasy in my head again. [cl

There is something disturbing to me about having the doors longer than the cockpit. If I were designing this, the front of the "trunk" panel would be at least six inches behind the door. Unless, of course, you plan to carve out some of that panel.

Anyway, I like that you are carving up a bug to make your own creation. I have long wanted to do something to a bug, myself. You are sparking that fantasy in my head again. [cl

For what it's worth....
I agree with Skip. I would start the deck lid where you have the body cut off behind the door. You made a panel to lengthen the fire wall you could do a filler panel here as well..
[P [P [P
Torchie

Thanks for your comments guys. I had intended that the deck lid would be shortened to move it back as you are saying. I should have stated that earlier but it was placed there only because that is where the brace is that would hold it up. :)

Anyway, here are some more pictures ... we'll call it "concept 2". To use the VW hood for a deck lid I will have to widen it about 7". Once again you'll have to squint a bit to understand what I'm thinking here. My other concern with this idea is what would I have to do to make the front end look right with this "fat fender" rear look.

As I look at these concepts I am becoming increasingly intimidated by the amount of work required. The original thought was to turn the bug into an rpu and maybe I should return to that. This is my first attempt at doing anything like this as far as a body is concerned and I'm running blind with no real idea of what all is involved. But this excuse reminds me of my favorite Richard Bach quote "Argue for your limitations and sure enough they are yours".

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_1455.jpg
    IMG_1455.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_1457.jpg
    IMG_1457.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_1458.jpg
    IMG_1458.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 37
Concept two is promising. Before you commit, mock up your seat to see how far back it needs to be, then set your back cab panel behind that. That will set the front edge for the trunk lid. Are you going to use the trailer fenders or work the VW fenders?

Are you going to use the trailer fenders or work the VW fenders?

At this point I don't know what I'm going to do Bama. Look at pictures and walk in little circles for a couple of days I guess. And the RPU concept is still a strong candidate and would be way easier to pull off. I'll work on the windshield frame and doors while I ponder.

I think I'll set it over the frame with engine, front end, rear end, etc all mocked up and then be looking at it long and hard before I commit to anything.

You are worrying about your eye for perspective. I'm here to tell you, you got it. This 'Concept 2' is aces, man. Carry on.

As usual I agree with Mac. I have seen people use the front fenders for rear ones on some other types of builds but not VW's.
I would pick up a set of 61 Ford Galaxy tail lights and stick them in the headlight holes.:eek:[ddd :cool:
Are you going to chop the windshield as I think that would add even more to your styling.
[P [P [P
Torchie

Attachments

• 7ba9796e061eb70e2dae84fc93c2ed11.jpg
    7ba9796e061eb70e2dae84fc93c2ed11.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 5
As usual I agree with Mac. I have seen people use the front fenders for rear ones on some other types of builds but not VW's.
I would pick up a set of 61 Ford Galaxy tail lights and stick them in the headlight holes.:eek:[ddd :cool:
Are you going to chop the windshield as I think that would add even more to your styling.
[P [P [P
Torchie

The early sixties Ford tail lights are about the only ones I could think of that would work with the headlight holes. I think right up to 63 or 64 they had the large round tail lights.

As to the windshield I also thought it looked a little high. The main reason I cut up this body instead of the one I originally bought for this project was that I have a windshield for this one. If I do chop it though it will likely be the last thing I do on the body since I would have to find someone who could cut down the glass.

Funny thing happened while I was posting my last comment. I wondered if the deck lid was where it was in the pic just for the very reason you just stated. I like the direction you are thinking of now. New bug tail lights are about that big, too, I think. That said, I would be considering smoothing out the fender and filling the hole, then using a smaller tail light. But that's just me. :D

Can you pick the difference in width transitioning in the space between the back of the doors and the beginning of the new deck lid? Think turtle back bucket T. Kind of wrap around to it. Maybe?

Trial set-ups and long staring sessions are called being creative. It also gives us time to hold our own beer.

Some really cool ideas coming out in this thread, I'm liking where your going with this. Your skill set will improve as you move forward, my build is taking me in places I never intended to go.[P[P[P

I really like this as well. I guess it's the creativity and freedom of it all. That said, I'm leaning toward the RPU idea. I am warming up to where you are going with the most recent "2 concept" but I'm with Skip - I'd be afraid the front headlight holes are just too recognizable and when on backwards it might look "goofy"....but those are just my 2 cents.

Carry on, I'm really enjoying this process! I've had too many bugs in my early years to count - unfortunately I destroyed them all as field cars/dune buggies.

The early sixties Ford tail lights are about the only ones I could think of that would work with the headlight holes. I think right up to 63 or 64 they had the large round tail lights.

As to the windshield I also thought it looked a little high. The main reason I cut up this body instead of the one I originally bought for this project was that I have a windshield for this one. If I do chop it though it will likely be the last thing I do on the body since I would have to find someone who could cut down the glass.

I would cut the glass down myself. It's most likely "Safety glass". ( 2 Layers with a plastic film in between.). If your not in a hurry you could tape it off and sand blast away the extra. It takes some time but it gets the job done.
Now....
Just to throw some fuel on the fire. I would consider a V style roadster windshield. You could make your own brackets ( plenty of info on how- to on the web) or you could use a set of wooden boat brackets.
JMHO.:eek: [ddd :cool:
[P [P [P
Torchie

Attachments

• s-l500.jpg
    s-l500.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 15

Latest posts

Back