53 master cylinder

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

53 stickfigure

Havent done much to the 53 lately, so tomorrow i'll start taking off the master cylinder. Do i have to remove the brake pedal arm and clutch arm to get it out or will they pry out far enough away from the cylinder to get it out? I know there is a pin holding them in cylinder behind the bolt i have to fish out but do the actual pedals have to be removed. No big deal either way but easier and faster is always better while laying on concrete.

Friend of mine with a 54 ended up putting a kit in his on the car. Said it looked impossible to get the master off without pulling the body off! And he's 74, been wrenching since before the car was new......

This may help... or not!

Plucked from this...

http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com/shop/1949_53/index.htm

5-15.jpg

5-14.jpg

Thanks for the instructions

I'm gonna have to get a patent on the new swear words i invented today getting that master cylinder off. I made a huge mistake, didn't powerwash underneath before i started. I got it off without having to remove the clutch arm but the brake arm has to come off. Everything else was pretty basic, even getting the slide pin out, but clearance is unbelievably minimal. Gonna find an elf to put it back together. Could get the brake line off, it was in need of replacement anyway, so just broke it off. One good tip, if you have big fat fingers, buy your skinny buddy a case of beer to do it for you.

Latest posts

Back