Rear cool spring question

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TruckRat

I am working on a 40 Chevy truck. Doing it as a rat rod or bobber. Shortened bed. I bought a mustang gt rear end and was looking at the speedway deluxe coil spring kit. Not sure if the springs are heavy enough or not. Will be adding some shocks. The coil springs are 175 lb rating. Anyone have a ball park figure about how much a truck like this might weight as a rat rod with no hood or fenders? Any help is appreciated. Thanks and I know I need to start a build thread. Planned on already having one started but all the floors are being replaced in my house from water damage right now. Will be starting one pretty soon.

I know title says cool. Dang phone !!!!

Last edited:
I've used 175# coilovers and they worked. 200 to 250# would be a better fit.
Speedway usually gives you the choice on spring rates when buying coilovers.

I used 200 springs on the back of my RPU, and they were far too soft. They are angled over which makes them weaker, but I now have 250s and they are about right. They are on Speedway Carrera shocks.

Attachments

• 12715378_10153418144222338_6414768937257245086_n.jpg
    12715378_10153418144222338_6414768937257245086_n.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 16
Thanks king Herald. Actually I was asking about coil spring set up, but I can tell it's no where near heavy enough. So if I went coilovers what do you think I should use, a 4 link or triangulated 4 link set up?

Thanks king Herald. Actually I was asking about coil spring set up, but I can tell it's no where near heavy enough. So if I went coilovers what do you think I should use, a 4 link or triangulated 4 link set up?

Well, they are coil springs aren't they? [S

I'm using a triangulated four bar, saves running a Panhard rod.

Thanks. I guess I should have put a pic of the kit I was looking at. Sorry about that. I think this set up is for a t bucket and they don't offer a spring up grade on it. Will probably go coilovers. Thanks for the help!

Here's the kit I was talking about...
image.jpg

Latest posts

Back