Noob front leaf spring question

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

verruckt

Ok, so I picked up a front axle. Trying to remove a set of leafs attached on one side. Tried heating up the nuts on the U bolts but no such luck, so I got out the sawzall. Cut through one bolt and it made a loud pop and the gap spread out about a 1/4". Did the other bolt and the same thing. So my question is how much spring can be left in these rusty old things? They are not attached to anything at the shackle ends, and there doesn't seem to be much arch left to them. Just don't want to bust up my pretty face if I can avoid it. :D

there is more energy than you can imagine stored there ! if you've cut one side on each u bolt you should be good as far as the center bolt put a clamp on the pack to contain it

More than likely, the bolt that holds the spring together is broken, so there is some spring tension going on. You should be able to see some space between the layers if so. Not much, but some.

What did you use to heat up the u-bolts? If you have a real acetylene torch, it is a better option. Just cut the bolts. I doubt that it will explode or jump up much once it is free.

Most likely, you will pinch you saw blade before you cut all the way through the other side of the u-bolt.

But, for sure, keep your pretty face out of the way.

Latest posts

Back