Pics&Tire info of Shaved Wide Whites!!! Please Add

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leadfoot327

Hey ladies and gents ive been browsing around for quite a while, and through all my research I have yet to find a thread that has simply just pictures of tires that have been shaved and their info. Most of them start off with a few pictures than get off on a tangent.

So im asking all of you white wall shavers out there. Post pics of your shaved skinny whites or raised white letters turned into wide whitewalls and the tire brand,style,size etc.

I think this would be a great reference to anyone looking to make their own Ww.

Again. Please lets keep this to minimal talk and all pictures and tire specs as THERE ARE ALOT OF INFO THREADS ON HOW THIS IS DONE AND THE PROS AND CONS!

Lets fill this baby up with pics and info!!![P

ill start it off.

BFG Radial T/A
Raised White Letter
215/65-15
not too happy with the consistency of the edge

6c108649-679c-4ce6.jpg

6c108649-67ae-499c.jpg

the pic with tire mounted is another of the same tire, just my first attempt(failed:mad:)

yea the first one(on the tire) i went too far. the letters make it tough to get nice if your not careful with the grinder. the 40grit flap disk i used was too rough to finish off with. so i started(unmounted tire) with the 40 grit and got most of the black off than finished it off with 60 grit.

looking forward to pics. i heard cornells skinny whites work real well. i may give them a try.

My 48 F1 were 3/4 ground wider, and the rear were raised white outlined letters.
1123001453.jpg

I think if you want perfect whitewalls you should pony up the bucks for them. Mine turned out perfect for my ride.

blacksheep what brand/model tires are they front and rear. im not looking for perfect ones as they cost an arm and a leg, and my car is not perfect and i think they may stand out. but some shaved are better than others

blacksheep what brand/model tires are they front and rear. im not looking for perfect ones as they cost an arm and a leg, and my car is not perfect and i think they may stand out. but some shaved are better than others

You're right about some tires being inconsistant. The rear are Good Years, and the fronts are Michelin. Good luck with it.

I guess I'll have to start paying attention to what tires mine are. I just find 'em and grind 'em!

Good idea for the thread.

Just a little tip for the rear tires. I had my rear axle on jack stands with wheels off the ground, tranny in reverse and idling. Made the rears a snap, and also made the cut very consistant and smooth. It saved about 15 minutes per wheel doing it that way. May be worth then putting the fronts on the rear and giving them a spin.

Kelly Chargers. Nice wide white strip.

Before N After.

PA

Attachments

• 100_0384.jpg
    100_0384.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 54
  • 100_0383.jpg
    100_0383.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 67
  • 100_0514.jpg
    100_0514.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 65
So I was looking at the Coker ad on the back of my Old Skool Rodz mag and I noticed that their whitewalls are white clear to the rim, there's no 1" black strip like most of the homemade ones. Is this a dead giveaway for people or do most not notice? Also, is there any reason you can't grind it clear into where the rim would cover it or is there not white that far towards the center?

Joe

So I was looking at the Coker ad on the back of my Old Skool Rodz mag and I noticed that their whitewalls are white clear to the rim, there's no 1" black strip like most of the homemade ones. Is this a dead giveaway for people or do most not notice? Also, is there any reason you can't grind it clear into where the rim would cover it or is there not white that far towards the center?

Joe

You can only grind down what white is there. Usually the ourlined white letters have more white than the rasied whites or thin white wall. The white that manufacturers leave on tires has a very defined edge. The edge almost never goes to the bead of the tire. I think most folks can spot a tire that has been ground down. I would rather put my hard earned money into other stuff, than pumpoed up pricing on wide whites. I will never spend $300 for a rear tire with wide whites.

You can only grind down what white is there. Usually the ourlined white letters have more white than the rasied whites or thin white wall. The white that manufacturers leave on tires has a very defined edge. The edge almost never goes to the bead of the tire. I think most folks can spot a tire that has been ground down. I would rather put my hard earned money into other stuff, than pumpoed up pricing on wide whites. I will never spend $300 for a rear tire with wide whites.

I'm still going to grind mine too, I picked up two front tires at a garage sale last week for $1.50 each with thin white walls. I was just wondering, never noticed the difference before. Thanks!

Latest posts

Back