Zoomie style exhaust questions

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ratrodney

Hey all.
Been thinkin bout mildly ratting out my caddy.
Nothing super crazy just basically for the wow factor.
Been thinkin bout gettin a set of header flanges and havin a set of zoomies made.
Im thinkin straight out with a 90 degree right up thru the hood.
Have some baffles put in to quit her down and top it off with some chrome tips.
Questions....
Can I quiet it enuff to keep the law from hassling me?
Suggestions on baffles?
Any issues im forgetting?
Tnx

Depends on your state. Texas allows straight pipes as long as they have baffles. I argued with the guy who inspected my '41 so he called the state & they said that's the law so I passed!
I used cheap motorcycle baffles on mine ($4 ea)!

BoB

Pictures would help. What year Caddy? Zoomies through the hood sounds like a demolition derby look.

Now if you were to run them up and over the fenders and down to a set of side pipes, that would be pretty "in your face". This suggestion will also likely get a lot of no votes, too. :D

Like Skip says, "Zoomies through the hood sounds like a demolition derby look" and I just can't get behind that. Personal opinion. That said, its your toy so play with it however you want to. :D I'm sure there are things on my car that not everyone likes or agrees with.

Pictures would help. What year Caddy? Zoomies through the hood sounds like a demolition derby look.

Now if you were to run them up and over the fenders and down to a set of side pipes, that would be pretty "in your face". This suggestion will also likely get a lot of no votes, too. :D
I changed my mind. On a '71 Caddy, you will need to go more or less straight out through the sides of the fenders and exit mostly behind the wheel openings level with the top of the wheel openings. They should stick out about 6 inches from the fenders. Add some other Mad Max features, and you are there.

Don't forget to leave room for engine rock when making openings in the fenders.

I'm here to help. :D[ddd

Zooomie with baffles not very loud. put over 3000 miles on it without any problems. :D really not to bad without the baffles either [;)
Don't know why anyone would not like zooomies [S

Attachments

• Build 082.jpg
    Build 082.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 20
Unless you are building a derby car, I'd cast another "no" vote on cutting holes in a Cadillac hood (for any reason). Besides, a stock motor with open exhaust still sounds like a derby car. Loud isn't always good...

The stuff on that one is all fake. If something is actually worse than running real exhaust through the hood then welp, that's it...

Seems to me I knew that at one time. I've seen it in person but I don't remember if it was the hood wouldn't open if the exhaust was real or if they were blowing fire without revving the motor. Something gave it away.

No matter, I though it was kinda gimmicky.

Latest posts

Back