Help!! Bolts wont come out

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

txhillbillie

I have a 51 Ford F1. I'm trying to pull the running boards and fenders. When I go to remove the nut off of the square shoulder bolts the entire assembly just spins. I have tried everything I can think of to stop the bolt from spinning. Any tips would be great!!

Thanks

Sometimes I use my small air powered hand saw to cut those bolts... it has a really thin blade & makes short order of that kinda stuff!

BoB

I cut a slot in them with a cut off disc and then use a flat blade screwdriver or weld a piece of flat bar to the head and use it to hold it.

This has worked well for me....

If you can get a cut-off wheel on the backside (nut side) cut a cross into it clear down to the sheet metal basically dividing the nut/bolt into quarters. Then take an air chisel or hammer and chisel and hit it in the middle. The quarters should pop right off. Good luck!

This little nut splitter from ACE Hardware $12 dollars, works pretty good as long as u can get to the nut.
All the suggestions above work well too.

Attachments

• nut splitter.jpg
    nut splitter.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 12
if they are like chevys of that year and the bolt is hidden under the running boards gonna have to use the nut splitter or cut them out. I wanna say we used a torch last time but its been a while I just remember they sucked putting in and taking out.

Cutting wheel on a 4in grinder works for me cut the nut off and leave the washer hit it with a hammer n go buy new bolts

Latest posts

Back