Tranny fluid change

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The car has to be running and the T-tech machine plugs in to 110 plug and has an internal electric pump as well. The tranny naturally pumps the fluid out, and the machine pumps the fresh fluid in.

I hope that made sence...

I miss the old days when a large magnet was placed on the bottom of the pan. A siphon hose was inserted into the trans fill tube and sucked out all the dirty fluid. Then the car was raised and the empty pan was removed and the particles held by the magnet were inspected for abnormal wear and then cleaned. Then the torque converter was drained into a clean pan and checked for density/color/smell (burnt). Finally the filter was replaced, everything bolted back up, fresh fluid added and a final road test. All of this for $19.95. Now I have to do it myself because no one will do it at any price. Times sure have changed.

I use a trans flush machine almost ever day at work.Now most of your newer cars have what they call a non-service trans(on kia's if the pan has been removed say good bye to your waranty)so the only way to get clean fluid in is with a flush.Now with cars that you can do a filter change on it still is a good idea to get a trans flush,If you just do a drain and fill you still have about 5qts of old fluid in your converter.now I know it's a wast of fliud but about ever 30k go get a flush then go buy a fiilter and some ATF grab a 6 pack and change that filter and clean that pan out good.

I change the trans juice on my plow truck every year, I skip the filter, why? Its nothing more than a chunk of window screen designed to catch big stuff from wreckin the gears and stuff. I guess if a part is big enough to be caught by that screen and its floatin around in the fluid, the trans probably aint worth much anyways.

I know guys that have never even checked their transmission fluid. They use the truck hard with towing, plowing, and daily driving and they trade them off at 200K and never look back. I guess a lot of it comes down to the transmission itself, the fluid and who has it. My luck is never that good.

I use a trans flush machine almost ever day at work.Now most of your newer cars have what they call a non-service trans(on kia's if the pan has been removed say good bye to your waranty)so the only way to get clean fluid in is with a flush.Now with cars that you can do a filter change on it still is a good idea to get a trans flush,If you just do a drain and fill you still have about 5qts of old fluid in your converter.now I know it's a wast of fliud but about ever 30k go get a flush then go buy a fiilter and some ATF grab a 6 pack and change that filter and clean that pan out good.

I was a tech for couple years and used the t-tech machine more times than I care to think about. I noticed that some of the newer cars have a spin on transmission filter which was similar to an oil filter.

Our shop never dropped a tranny pan or changed a filter, mostly because my boss got $129 for a flush that only took 30 minutes. Sometimes he would stop me in the middle of the flush because the tranny would be pumping too slowly and I'd have to put the car back together even though it only had about 6 quarts of new fluid in it... Or he would redline the car's engine to make it pump faster (seen several overheated engines from this). Needless to say the guy was a crook and I walked out on him last month and decided to go back to machining, I can't do shady, unhonest work anymore. It was so hard to look someone in the eye when I handed them their keys and they said "thanks"... I just wanted to tell them to go to a better shop. :(

P.S. I'm still looking for work, if you know any place that wants an honest tech. or a good entry level machinist. ;)

I had just never heard of this process, guess I haven’t been in a quick lube place for a long time.

Jeff
The process is great because it drains all the tranny fluid. If you only drain the pan, it's about 4-5 quarts. Most of the fluid will be unchanged. I would still change the filter though.

The car is running while the transfer is going on...the transmission pumps the fluid into the machine.

It works well, but the filter still needs to be changed. With a normal transmission service, the 4 or 5 quarts of fluid in the converter aren't changed, but the machine gets it all out.

I go to a quick lube place. The T-tech machine drains and fills 14 quarts. If you do this with a new tranny or new vehicle, believe it or not, you won't ever have to change the filter. It pumps out all the impurities.
Not a bad price and I don't have to get my hands dirty...:D

I saw an expose' about them selling that service and not doing it. You can do the same thing yourself. Remove the tranny cooler return line and put a piece of rubber line to extend it into a recepticle. Get the funnel in the filler, open all the bottles in a case of fluid, start the engine and start pouring in the fluid as fast as the funnel will take it. Shut the engine off when you have poured in 8 or 10 quarts. Replace the return line and top it off to the proper level.
And on removing the pan..well if it isn't leaking I leave them alone, especially the Fords because they only have a screen in the filter and therfe is no sense replacing it. I don't think I ever changed a plugged one or had a filter change make any difference in performance.
And even after doing 100s of them and using the reccomended proceedure, with the huge pan funnel, you will still make a mess 9 times out of 10.

Latest posts

Back