Building a dolly for my 51 Ford Cab - need advise!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cab Dolly...

Hi there, Thunder1,
I am new here and will do an intro very soon. But wanted to share what I built here for my '39 Ford cab, while I prepare a S-10 chassis. I used a plan that someone was kind enough to write in a recent Street Rodder Magazine issue. I built mine to approx 5'x5' so I could use it as a workbench, while working on the cab. I also had a limited amount of room, with a sandrail, heating stove and an RX-7 stored inside. I used 2x4s and a sheet of Norform for the platform...and wheels from Harbor Freight (Las Cruces Store). This project worked out great for me. Here is 4 photos that might help... Good luck with your project and submit some photos as you progress... duane

Duane Koss / Fort Sumner, New Mexico

Attachments

• Dolly 02.jpg
    Dolly 02.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 68
  • Dolly 04.jpg
    Dolly 04.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 65
  • Dolly 05.jpg
    Dolly 05.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 73
  • Dolly 07.jpg
    Dolly 07.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
Thanks NM Sandrail! Yes, I saw that article too. I managed to get my dolly built a few months back and it has worked out great. The cab is up off the ground and I'm beginning to strip down my cab as of today as a matter of fact. The dolly seems to be plenty strong enough. I built it using 4 -2x6's and some 300 lb. capacity Harbor Freight wheels.

Thanks for the suggestions, I really appreciate it!

Thunder1

I just lift one side up, roll a HF furniture dolly under it then use a 2 wheel handcart on the opposite side to lever it off the ground and I can move it around my shop pretty easily.

THE DOLLY PROJECT WAS A COMPLETE SUCCESS MANY MONTHS AGO! THANKS FOR ALL THE INPUT EVERYONE!! NO NEED TO KEEP MAKING RECOMMENDATIONS ON HOW TO BUILD ONE!!

Thanks again!

Thunder1

I appreciate the offer but no thanks DMW! You'll build another rat truck someday and you'll need it. :D With that huge garage of yours it shouldn't be a problem to store it until then.

skid way to go

i used a skid on my 42 frod truck and i used one on a 472 cat motor a lot more wate then the cab put u some rollers on it and rock as far as lifting it i used wood blocks and a jack one man shows not ez

Latest posts

Back