New seat under $50.00

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sinastir

Well for my project I wanted bomber seat, but they are little much for my budget rat. So I was thinking about older jeep seat, those are to high and to much also.. So I started building some today.

I was not going to run rear padding my wife wanted it... I had 3-4 half tents in OD green and I cant find them.. But I am going to cover all the wood in OD green tent fiber..

Picture003-4.jpg

16" x 16" Seating area

Picture004-5.jpg

Started the side plates. I added 3/4" square tubing to cross brace and have the wood seat mount to.

Picture006-4.jpg

I angled the rear at 10 degree and started adding webbing

Picture010-2.jpg

I still have to finish the webbing, i wanted to see what what be covered by the cross pads, cover all the wood, paint them flat black and webbing will be red... For the head rest I was thinking something like this

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FLAME-SKULL-ROD-HOT-RAT-GRILL-HARLEY-HOG-DANA-DROP-SBC_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ72Q3a1205Q7c66Q3a2Q7c65Q3a12Q7c39Q3a1Q7c240Q3a1318Q7c301Q3a0Q7c293Q3a2Q7c294Q3a50QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem180321935243QQitemZ180321935243QQptZOtherQ5fVehicleQ5fParts

What do you think so far??? I have $36.24 in them for a pair.. If I cant find those tents and still I still have to but the padding I will have about $50.00-60.00 total for the pair

looks like you got yourself a cool pair of cheap seats :cool:

Yea I think they will turn out good...

Have you seen my seats?
seatraw.jpg

Actually whats funny after I posted my post, i did a search and found your site on the internet... And I like your red ones in your truck... They look cool, would not want to run for a long time, but they are cool...

Very nice good on your seat. What did you use and how much did it take???

I got two army surplus 1/2 tents. The seats were from a 66 Saab. I did not measure the material so I am not sure how much there was. The 1/2 tents were $12.00 each, the seats were free.

Not as creative as yours but what I had in mind when I was planning my project.

Theres a surplus store nearby that has buckets that came out of Humvees. $25 a seat. Then if you want the surplus cushions to go with im add $10 a seat. I thought that would be a good deal for my next one. However, anyone whos racked on miles in one of those thngs can tell ya, there not all that comfortable.

Theres a surplus store nearby that has buckets that came out of Humvees. $25 a seat. Then if you want the surplus cushions to go with im add $10 a seat. I thought that would be a good deal for my next one. However, anyone whos racked on miles in one of those thngs can tell ya, there not all that comfortable.

Those would have been cool too.. I have sat in them across the sand many times, so I know what your talking about.

Also I will be finishing up the seat today with padding and everything..

Spent : 36.24 so fa on 3/4" x 3/4" Steel, 1/8" flat Steel and MFD board

Add 15.35 padding
Add 11.98 tent material

Total 63.57.. I did not know foam padding was so much that was 1 yard.. I was thinking 3-5 dollars

Not bad under $65.00 for the seats...

UPDATE:

Well today it was 70 degrees out so I wanted to get them painted and finished up. I have the seat pads completed covered in a shetler half OG green. Just waiting for the paint to dry..

Picture015-2.jpg

Picture016-2.jpg

Picture018-1.jpg

I think they turned out great...

I want to do some in the heavy treated canvas too. I looked all over ebay and couldn't find the right canvas. I looked at tarps in the farm store and those are :eek:$$

A friend found some cool junkyard seats for his speedster. Gray leather second row seats from an Olds Silhouette van. They are a little narrower than most buckets and have no headrest parts sticking up.

Nice job on the seats. I bought some Carhart fabric on eBay for covering the seats in my Binder, but I'm too cheap to have the sewing done.

Latest posts

Back