1 1/2 ton flatbed chevy

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like this truck, I have not really seen one with the fenders and hood moved up like that, it is an interesting an cool way to be able to basically lower the body and still have ample wheel clearance.

Dirty,
I did this on my 47 IH first a couple of years ago... most ratted IH's have no front fenders..but I love em..so I decided I'd build the front as low as possible but to keep them..then I sectioned and channeled the cab as low as I wanted (head hits roof when I sit up, so I recline)..those decisions drove me to the 5 inch "Cowl".. that truck stops traffic!!..so with this build and probably all of my rats I'll do this "Millwood Chop"

tell ya too, with both I drive and can look at my motor all the time, I recessed the tach up under the hood..it's cool

On the 50 I cut about 8" off the cab bottom and about 4" off the fenders (they are big 4400 fenders.. I looked for almost a year to find the right big truck)

I wanted a low, wide, short ride...

thanks!

trying big pics

Attachments

• photo9.JPG
    photo9.JPG
    118.5 KB · Views: 53
due to V8 replacing the 4 banger..is that not the case for 350 conversions?

No, that's not the case. They could have been changed to V6 parts, but I doubt it, and most don't need to. Do you know for sure the truck started as a 4-cylinder? It could have been a 2.8 or 4.3 V6.

I've got 2.8 springs with both my S-10 swaps. You don't need to worry about different springs on these swaps (unless they're way worn out).

OK did some testing.. only has vibration between like 30 and 50 mph..and only if the road is affecting both sides of the truck..at lower speeds I feel it in the steering and at a little higher the whole truck shakes violently..braking stops it.. a single pothole does nothing..so some resonant frequency is definitely present

so a summary of hitting the same rough patch:

25 mph - nothing
30 steering shakes
40 truck shakes like its coming apart
55 or faster nothing happens

Drove around in rain and some ice today...was fun as hell..here some pics and sorry I can't make em large...

pic of front with driving lights on, guess where the red ones came from
pic with skull dome light on
pic of dome light
I insulated the cab roof, the original heater puts out very little heat
I could get a good pic of the floor made from street signs, tags and tim art because the signs reflected so much
Smowed in and will piddle with it tomorrow some and probably diagnose my bronco engine problems (springs around the corner!)

Attachments

• photo2.JPG
    photo2.JPG
    96.3 KB · Views: 46
  • photo3.JPG
    photo3.JPG
    105.5 KB · Views: 43
  • photo4.JPG
    photo4.JPG
    133.3 KB · Views: 47
  • photo5.JPG
    photo5.JPG
    133.9 KB · Views: 42
  • photo6.JPG
    photo6.JPG
    134.9 KB · Views: 44
I replaced the idler arm and curred the violent vibration... it had some slop but I didn't think enough to shake the truck like that..live n learn

The fix allowed me to hammer the truck around town for the first time and I had a blast.. the detroit hooks up nice, the big cam and low gears means not many can catch me from stop to 80-90 mph.. but freeway cruising is tediuos, turning about 3400 rpms at 70 mph..

Fine tune the carb, set the timing again, fix some small leaks and she's ready to get out of the garage and park in the driveway

Looking good! I'm glad you got the vibration cured.

Careful with those red lights on the front, I don't know about there but around here any red or blue lights on the front are highly illegal and will get you pulled over very quickly.

those lights in the front are from a late 60's mustang...took one and cut it into 2 lights, built backplates..I had them from a purchase 2 years ago they where the wrong ones that came in boxes with my '69 Mach I S code.. they fit the contour almost perfectly..cops only pull me over to see the truck closer, pretty laid back here in AL..

My 47 International has illegal lights for sure so I don't drive it at night very much

thanks guys for the compliments!

Added some rails...

Attachments

• 20151004_172456.jpg
    20151004_172456.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 35
  • 20151004_172509.jpg
    20151004_172509.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 37
  • 20151004_172524.jpg
    20151004_172524.jpg
    157.5 KB · Views: 37