rat rod jeep build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm in North Carolina, too.... Lexington to be exact. I'm building a rat from the tub of a 55 M38a1 that I'm slowly gathering parts for. I'll be in the same title boat as you. From what I understand, it's do-able, but it's a process.

I love the shortened tub look you are going with!

hey coffee freak! how far is lexington from smithfield? id like to see yours first hand, let me know if i can help, what ya think, rat ro djeep club in n.c.?

workin hard

been doin the boring stuff grinding off welds and junk, trying to figure out what im gonna do with the frame ends now ive bobbed em! work has been unbelievable with near hundred degree temps the last couple of weeks and everybody wanting everything right doggoneit now! so not much progress to speak of. i finally got the shelves in the garage done, now i can get the christmas decorations and twenty five years of crap off the floor, so i can get some good junk in the garage! good news is the wife has to work nest saturday so i get a full day of me time! woo hoo!

crap

for you guys watchin...... my apologies! the chassis and cut up jeep body have been sittin untouched. they look good though! , i walk by them every day!
ive been pretty buisy with church stuff,work stuff, and projects for family..soooooo no quality time...... but i have plugs, cap, wires and some other good stuff (module) etc set aside. ready to go , so....., lets tune the motor..... rebuild the propane carb etc...... i just found out a friend has another motor and trans sitting in the yard, so my wife is mad at me again! duh-huh! she should be used to me by now! i need to build another shed to store my treasure in!

gettin some

my apologies for the lack of progress and pictures. other projects had to bump the jeep in line. converted my generator to propane, :D maintenance on the regular vehicles etc,. i have been working on the propane stuff however,[cl cleaned up the new to me amuminum intake manifold (dirt dobber condo),found a holley four barrel base plate at the pick your part (needed for the propane conversion), and rebuilt the vaporizer and evaporator. she should run great now! ready to install back on the block when i get the heads back. this thing was nasty, ill post breakdown pics of the engine work and lack of maintenance some time this week.:rolleyes:

Attachments

• photo 5[1].JPG
    photo 5[1].JPG
    39.6 KB · Views: 44
  • photo 1[1] (2).jpg
    photo 1[1] (2).jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 41
  • photo 2[1] (2).jpg
    photo 2[1] (2).jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 38
  • photo 3[1] (2).jpg
    photo 3[1] (2).jpg
    166.8 KB · Views: 44
  • photo 5[1] (2).jpg
    photo 5[1] (2).jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 39
  • photo 3[1] (4).jpg
    photo 3[1] (4).jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 37
  • photo 4[1] (3).jpg
    photo 4[1] (3).jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 35
  • photo 5[1] (3).jpg
    photo 5[1] (3).jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 39
engine work

been pretty buisy for the last couple months. rolling change for parts..... new cam, lifters, oil pump timing set, had the cylinder heads done. new valves, seats, shaved and hot tanked. while i was waiting for the heads to come back i flipped her over to check the bottom end. uh oh! looks like we need rods and mains too! no scoring on the cam, so thats what i did this weekend. torked everything down and wrapped her back up till i get some more me time.
new valve covers and air cleaner on the way, chrome was cheaper than stock by almost double, dont know if ill keep the chrome though, might have them dipped. more body work to do on the tub, gotta buisy!

clean hands are the devils workshop

been buisy in the shop. but finally making progress. i had put in new rods and mains, and when done i realized i still had the rear main seal laying on the bench. Duh huh! practice makes perfect i guess. spent the last couple of days searching for a one piece oil pan gasket, there is no way this four piece is not going to leak. $30 bucks later......wait for it...... wrong part! what do you know "no one else makes one this is what the computer says it is"! i actually had to take the oil pan to the parts store and show him. duh! oh well put on the four piece today, brazed the hole in the pan i hadnt noticed before and finally flipped her upside right and torqued the heads. i told you guys this was going to take awhile. tomorrow we'll see about the valve train and intake. happy wrenching

I wonder if/how long your vaporiser will work mounted like that...? I`ve seen / owned a zillion lpg cars but never seen it bolted to the intake like that.... there should be an arrow of some sort on it to show up/down. This has to do with the oily substance in propane and draining that, and air getting trapped inside. Also make sure it is mounted a good bit lower than the top collant hose to make sure there`s no air in it or it will freeze over.

nah, mounting isnt a problem. the vaporizor doesnt care about mounting. as long as its got good coolant flow it could be mounted upside down underneith in a paper sack and it will be good. i rebuilt one on an f650 just today and it is set up the same way. it did get me thinking about safety though, i need to install a fuel cut off solenoid in case of a leak, but that will be closer to the tank i think.:eek:
finally set the body on the chassis to see where it will sit. looks good! tomorrow i start making the motor mounts. went crazy looking for half inch steel pipe for a couple days, pestered all my friends just to find it standing in the corner in my garage at home. oh well! :rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back