46 Ford Truck Build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

46fword

This is my 1946 ford truck build, thought I would drop a few pics of my progress.

Attachments

• IMG_1620.jpg
    IMG_1620.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 76
  • image2-5.jpg
    image2-5.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_1653.jpg
    IMG_1653.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_4607.jpg
    IMG_4607.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_4602~2.jpg
    IMG_4602~2.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 77
  • FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 79
Thanks guys. I'm running a Dodge 440/727 trans with Ford explorer 8.8 rear with 3.73 gears.
2600 lb air bags with 22" wheels. The frame was built by me with 18" z in the rear and 4" in the front.

Attachments

• IMG_1753.jpg
    IMG_1753.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_1791.jpg
    IMG_1791.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_1805.jpg
    IMG_1805.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 42
  • image1-5.jpg
    image1-5.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 44
The 4" in the front,whats the proper way to weld that?I`m fairly sure you weld the seam between the two pieces and cap the ends.The plate would run with the two cut ends?

This is my first attempt at building a frame so i am in know way an expert. The frame is made of 2x4x1/4" square tubing and cut the ends at a 45 degree angle. I laid the two peices on top of each other and over lapped about 8" welded them together, capped the ends and plated both sides of the joint with a 4"x6" plate.

I should have been more clear in my question.I was thinking the plate would be the same size as the over lap and be welded to the cut ends.The rest of the plate would need to be welded,but I`ve always heard that welding a line across the solid portion would create a weak point.This question is for anybody reading this.

This is my first attempt at building a frame so i am in know way an expert. The frame is made of 2x4x1/4" square tubing and cut the ends at a 45 degree angle. I laid the two peices on top of each other and over lapped about 8" welded them together, capped the ends and plated both sides of the joint with a 4"x6" plate.
This is the correct way to weld the z together and positioning of the plates.
As far as welding across the rails go, it's acceptable to do this on this frame because of two things.
1. The thickness of the tubing walls.
2. The vehicle isn't heavy enough to flex the frame enough to crack it.
I repair a lot of semi car haulers and in this instance, you absolutely do not weld across the frame because of what rvreddog mentioned. It hardens the metal and will crack.
We actually use body seam sealer at the cross section of the frame plates to keep moisture and road grime out as much as possible and only weld the length of the rails.
I personally like to use internal plates and rosette weld them, merely for aesthetic purposes.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 18.jpg
    18.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 122
  • 19.jpg
    19.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 121
front fender reuse

Here's what my son did with the front fenders off our 46. he used then for a nose for his 22 dodge lakester

Attachments

• good nose pict.jpg
    good nose pict.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 57
good looking project... of course I'm a little partial to 46 ford trucks myself

and how your son saw a lakester grille in 46 ford fenders is super cool:cool:

Here's what my son did with the front fenders off our 46. he used then for a nose for his 22 dodge lakester
Now you got my wheels turning in my rusty old thought machine. I have some spare 51 Plymouth fenders that are currently acting as a home for blackberry vines. I'll have to do some staring... [S

I like the nose piece your son built, I've been thinking I might build a rat rod style desk out of my front clip eventually.

Our 46

The truck was given to our local dismantler. the builder was in his 80's when he passed and his kids did not want it. It has a lincoln Y block, 3/4 ton drive train. It was in good shape when we first saw it , but got the front end banged up by forklifts in the snow. My son helped the guy crush cars and got a lot of stuff, saving things from the crusher. 41 chevy PU, 46 international, the 46 ford, the drive train from 3 "grandma" cars. low milage chevy v8 4 door sedans. 401 buick drive train with 15 minutes run time after rebuild. I am claiming the 401 for my 32 roadster parts pile

Latest posts

Back