1941 1/2 ton project Hannah

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joedoh

yes its weird after the string of weird project names, Slopoke, Booger, Fenix, going simple with a nice pretty girls name, Hannah. its also the name of a horned angel, and this 41 cab has a pair of running lights on the roof that look like the cutest little horn stubs.
IMG_6451 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_6446 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_6444 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_6442 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

this is build number two from the stuff I bought last year when I cleaned out a farmer for all his goodies. little more cab rust than Fenix, but has its good points too, namely that you cant surprise me with anything after LITERALLY EVERYTHING BROKE on Fenix.

I bought an S10 donor in Feb, it was super cheap because it had a hole in the gas tank so range was limited to about 10 miles. It came from the insurance pool and the hole sure looked like a drillbit injury by a lot guy who needed some gas. I was able to tap and thread a nice flanged bolt in with some JB tank repair on it and fixed! It has one of the cleanest engines I have ever seen, no oil leaks or coolant leaks, all the underhood aluminum is still bright and shiny and the harness is in great shape. It is a 5spd 4.3, should move out great.
IMG_6990 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

had a weird little mobility chair crane setup in the bed with a winch
IMG_6991 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

I cleaned out the bed (I have a tendancy to fill donors up with trash and metal scrap while they sit waiting to be used) and decided to start disassembly. one thing led to another and I am almost ready to pull the cab after a couple hours. just need to pull the booster and clutch slave and steering column and harness from the cab, its actually loose on the frame.
52590048685__FD7AF6F5-CEFA-4487-9404-22C47E789D5B by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_7004 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_7007 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

my buddy OGNic came by as I was getting the core support off so I put him to work cutting out the body mounts of my design from Fenix.
IMG_7017 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

He wants to come help whenever I am working so I hope I see a lot of him. he is one of my oldest friends and was lost to me for a few years to kids and working, life as it is.

anyway, I plan a real push on this one before Labor day. I have some parts to cut for another friend saturday but I was planning on working on this sunday, so I am already a couple days early

I want a new tool. nothing motivates me like desire.

I couldnt resist going out to the garage tonight, I had to pull fenix in because its going to rain so might as well pop out the rest of the mounts with the plasma
IMG_7027 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

and why not weld them together while I am there.
IMG_7028 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

and this is the big difference between the two projects. with fenix I was redesigning and re-cutting mounts for the first 4 months. these mounts I know where to put them on the frame and they are clearanced for everything already. just need some more camaro bushings. well and to pull the cab off the s10, but thats just waiting on getting my cherry picker from the back.

Looks like you are off to a great start!

From the first one "experience is what you get when you don't get what you thought you were going to get". [ddd

Looks like you are off to a great start!

From the first one "experience is what you get when you don't get what you thought you were going to get". [ddd

you betcha, I am already regretting doing another of the same year right away because every time I walk around it I remember the different "experiences" (rebuilding the doors, washing the interior, rebuilding the front suspension etc etc etc.

I got a ton done this weekend, but not much in actual project work. I had that ever growing trailer full of project scrap and so I chopped out the center of the S10 donor bed for future use and chucked it on the trailer too. I pulled the GMC head and some other parts to sell, wired up the trailer lights and got the eyesore out of the neighborhood. I wish I had a picture of the 49 frame and engine in the maw of that crane, it was like a scene from brave little toaster. but instead I took a picture of the bed floor.
IMG_7042 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

got a pressure washer at 40% off as a labor day sale, best $250 I ever spent, all that time I spent grubbing around on that last truck. yeesh, never again.
IMG_7039 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_7038 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

I got 4 homer buckets at homer derpot to rescue my cherry picker from the GMC cab in the back yard, almost got it but the front wheels were stuck in the yard so I paused till my wife came home to help. this girl was shaking her web at me like a banshee. I think I can extract the picker and leaver her undisturbed. just a common garden spider, I saw her earlier this year when she was an adolescent and iridescent purple, I have been trying to find the picture and cant.
IMG_7041 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

the wasps (remember those guys from getting this cab loose? yeah they are still there) took an interest in my progress so I had to retreat again.

on fenix, I have been driving it and trust it more and more. I dont like to sell them till they are mostly sorted (its that "sell your house in better shape than you ever lived in" thing). I had a scare yesterday, selling a bumper from the last project and driving about 15 minutes to deliver it, truck started running rough and had a BIG tick, like SNAP SNAP SNAP SNAP. I pulled over and poked around, one of the plug wires didnt get seated and was arcing on the exhaust WHEW. it sounded all the world like a dropped valve or broken spring.

gave the bed a coat of timber oil to help protect the cedar.
IMG_7051 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

I also noticed that I had an unintentional cup holder between the seats, which is great because I like getting a giant unsweeet tea every chance I get, in fact I should have a "wheres waldo" contest with the QT cups in the backgrounds of my pictures. but I never plan enough to install anything to hold them. this worked out (un)sweet!
IMG_7032 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

I have done other little stuff, inside handles, tying up wiring here and there, planning for bumpers.

well yes and no. they were in the s10 when I got it and, waste not want not. but they are from a 1990 lebaron, I drew up the pattern and had them recovered

They look good and look like they fit pretty well in your cab. I'm looking for something for the 46 but prefer a bench. There are a couple that fit well but I haven't found either one yet to use.

back on hannah today, ready for another scrap run. I dont have the next donor on deck so I will use my flatbed truck.

got all the firewall stuff disconnected, and the steering column mount spotwelds drilled. mark my words, you will see a pedal mount/column mount design from me on this one, for 41-46 and for 47-53 too.
IMG_7059 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_7060 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

my cherry picker is still stranded, but I was able to use balance and a little muscle to get the cab off by myself.
52667692057__772580FB-5C7D-4FF9-A3B9-459CC0E3B63F by Joe Doh, on Flickr

all the important stuff I need to keep!
IMG_7071 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

and almost ready for a scrap run monday.
IMG_7072 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

I am getting jaded on keeping stuff around, normally I would drag all the doors and extra parts to the back yard and wait while guys beat me up for the next 6 months on prices, but I am just throwing it all away instead. I figure 10 bucks in scrap now is better than 50 bucks in parts over 6 months, right?

pressure washing the rest of the frame and engine tomorrow and ready to push inside!

I am getting jaded on keeping stuff around, normally I would drag all the doors and extra parts to the back yard and wait while guys beat me up for the next 6 months on prices, but I am just throwing it all away instead.
I tend to keep good parts for resale, and a few panels for making patch panels on my project. Last time I did this, I didn't get them moved fast enough, and the tweekers jacked all my tin parts and they got the scrap money. I ended up buying stuff to make patch panels. I hate tweekers and thieves. :mad:

I tend to keep good parts for resale, and a few panels for making patch panels on my project. Last time I did this, I didn't get them moved fast enough, and the tweekers jacked all my tin parts and they got the scrap money. I ended up buying stuff to make patch panels. I hate tweekers and thieves. :mad:

that sucks. I live in a pretty safe area, solicitors dont like my 200ft driveway and neither do trick or treaters. I am 2 houses from the dead end too, so not much traffic goes by.

although I HAVE started meeting people to look at stuff I have for sale. a guy came and looked at a spare bed I had for sale, asked about some fenders and left. two nights later I heard a huge CRASH from the back yard, went out and looked and the fenders he asked about were laying on the ground. wind? maybe. luck favors the prepared though, I locked it all up.

I dont have a picture but all the cab is loaded on the flatbed, I have a family lunch date tomorrow and will not get a lot done, so I was glad to get the driveway cleaned up from this mornings mess. tomorrow morning I will still wash down the frame and motor, maybe get it rolled in. My neighbor is loaning me an A frame to lift the 41 cab onto the frame so... YEE HAA.

thanks!

still splitting time with fenix. pressure washed the drivetrain and rrrrrrrrollled it in the shop.
IMG_7132 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_7131 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_7134 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

almost ready to plop the body on. my cherry picker is still being held hostage by the wasps, so I borrowed a big a -frame from my neighbor, I just need to attach wheels to it for him. I already had the chain hoists so winner winner chicken dinner. it wil lbe nice to have my body cart empty for the first time in a long time.

so I borrowed my neighbors a frame but I saw a couple problems right off the bat.

attaching the chain falls to the pipe with standard chain would have them too low, I needed as high a free lift as I could get to get over the frame. I bought some short lifting straps and wrapped them around so the chain fall would be right at the upper bar. to get even more lift potential, I took two 4x4s and bolted them together, then put the eyebolts in the lower 4x4, giving myself another 3 1/2 inches of lift.

I leveled the frame and used the dimensions I got from fenix, and tacked the mounts in.

let me tell you, I am never using a cherry picker again. using a cherry picker you are acutely aware of the weight you are holding up, it FEELS heavy, even jacking it up. and you have to move all that swinging weight because you cant roll a frame over the cherry picker legs. rolling it sucks.

I did this on a rainy day, and didnt get a drop on me. I lifted the cab, rolled the body cart out, rolled the frame under, and dropped it down. it took longer to cut the steering column shorter on the 41 because it looked close to the trans than it did to lift, align, lower, and push back in.

IMG_7333 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_7336 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_7337 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

guys who want to leave the v6 in the stock position should look at this photo. I need at least a 10 inch rearward move. It also looks like this truck (it looks to be a 42, not a 41, the handles are wartime bakelite) has slightly different mount dimensions, so I may need to move them around a little.

Latest posts

Back