48 F1 LinkFord project

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In my opinion, when people try to fill the fenders with big wheels because the fenders are from a big truck they never end up looking right. If it were mine, I'd try to find the half ton fenders, but that's just me.

Yep, guys I think I'm on the right track with the wheels. I plan on using 16" steelies with wider tires on the rear. I definitely have F2 fenders on this beast. I was looking at F1 trucks this morning after it was mentioned that my fenders lloked other than F1 fenders. I didnt even notice until I googled F1 Ford. I never knew it was different , because I've never owned an F1 with fenders. hahahahaa

OR ------ you could take the whole truck over to Torchies house, buy him some acetylene and watch him perform his magic on the front end so the tires do fit in the wheel wells. He lays his hands on your hood and mumbles a chant. Suddenly your truck looks like a '41 Ford car from the front. You will be walking on air, Blacksheep, guaranteed.

OR ------ you could take the whole truck over to Torchies house, buy him some acetylene and watch him perform his magic on the front end so the tires do fit in the wheel wells. He lays his hands on your hood and mumbles a chant. Suddenly your truck looks like a '41 Ford car from the front. You will be walking on air, Blacksheep, guaranteed.

[cl

:)
Torchie

Ok, one thing that I was thinking about doing on this truck. I'd like to get some opinions on this also. I know there are ways to make the hood on the F1 Fords more sturdy, and there is also a front hinged hood option. But, what I was thinking about doing may be a little different. I'm thinking about cutting the nose off of the hood , and making it a fixed piece of the front of the truck. It would still bolt on, but would stay attached to the truck with the hood open. I would like to make the hood open from both sides. In other words, split it down the middle and build a brace from the front nose piece to the fire wall , for the hood sides to hinge on. I think this can be done without messing up the lines of the hood. Yes, I could buy a new set of hinges, or repair the ones I have. But, I think it would be cool to make it so that the hood could be raised one side at a time. I will draw something up and post it this weekend.

Ok, one thing that I was thinking about doing on this truck. I'd like to get some opinions on this also. I know there are ways to make the hood on the F1 Fords more sturdy, and there is also a front hinged hood option. But, what I was thinking about doing may be a little different. I'm thinking about cutting the nose off of the hood , and making it a fixed piece of the front of the truck. It would still bolt on, but would stay attached to the truck with the hood open. I would like to make the hood open from both sides. In other words, split it down the middle and build a brace from the front nose piece to the fire wall , for the hood sides to hinge on. I think this can be done without messing up the lines of the hood. Yes, I could buy a new set of hinges, or repair the ones I have. But, I think it would be cool to make it so that the hood could be raised one side at a time. I will draw something up and post it this weekend.

TBH that sounds like it would look goofy in my opinion. Why not go to a 40's Buick or 50's International style where you can open it from either side? It would be a lot more trick, less metalwork, less chance of not looking right, and better underhood access. As someone who has a split hinged hood, many times it comes off for any underhood work. There are enough early Buicks I see for parts that you should be able to get some hinges and modify them to work.

TBH that sounds like it would look goofy in my opinion. Why not go to a 40's Buick or 50's International style where you can open it from either side? It would be a lot more trick, less metalwork, less chance of not looking right, and better underhood access. As someone who has a split hinged hood, many times it comes off for any underhood work. There are enough early Buicks I see for parts that you should be able to get some hinges and modify them to work.
I agree with 05snopro440. I was even thinking about the Buick idea yesterday, but was too lazy to research it. I remember a friend having one back in the 60s. It was kind of a pain to deal with also. Might I add that the center hinge setup is asking for a leak right on top of your engine. Basically, there are good reasons why the split hood design was abandon by automakers.

If you decide to run with your idea, I would like to suggest that you buy another hood to chop up. :D

Well, even though I know I could do it, and make it look good, I have abandoned that idea. I had planned on not splitting the hood. But, rather use the two sides and leave the center that is about 12' wide at the rear and narrows at the front. I have done this before ,and it turned out looking good. But, I changed my mind anyway. hahaha.
\
So, now on to wheels. I was looking at some wheels at Wheel Vintiques last night, and there are way too many to choose from. I went to my local salvage yard , and the guy said he had some Dodge 1/2 ton steelies that he thought would look good. Wrongo, they were rally wheels . So, I stopped at another guys place who is hardly ever there, and found him in the back running a backhoe. I asked him if I could look around, and he said sure. I found some 15" wheels with center caps. They had a little rust on them, but hey I like a little rust. These were the very wheels that I wanted anyway. I got them for $75.

new wheels.jpg

Nice score on the wheels.[cl [cl
As far as the hood or the rest of the truck goes. In the words of the Isley Brothers.
"it's your thing. Do what you want to do."............:D
[P [P [P
Torchie

Nice score on the wheels.[cl [cl
As far as the hood or the rest of the truck goes. In the words of the Isley Brothers.
"it's your thing. Do what you want to do."............:D
[P [P [P
Torchie

Yep, I plan on leaving the hodd in tact, but removing the hood springs. Also plan on building a better hood latch than stock. My Fairlane left out of my driveway this morning for good. The guy who bought it couldn't be happier. He sent me a message when he got to Savannah telling me how many folks gave him the thumbs up. A little sad to see it go, but I have other fish to fry right now. Later,

Some progress

Got the truck apart,and frame painted. Got my new one wire distributor in , and installed. The ol Lincoln engine is running like a new one. Ordered new windshield with rubber seal. I am in the process of framing under the lip of the hood with 3/4" box tubing to make it more ridgid. Just something I did on my other truck . Seems to make it not so floppy when I open it. I blasted the wheels the other day, then shot them with sand colored paint. Wheels will have dull chrome center caps. I don't think I will be cutting too much on this truck. This thing is just so darn solid, I hate to cut it up. All of the bolts on the fenders were easy to remove, and had all of the gaskets between all sheet metal. It's just crazy how solid this truck is. Ok, heres some photos

0408181001.jpg

0408181001_HDR.jpg

0410181720.jpg

0410181720a.jpg

WOW! That is nice! :)

Nice indeed!
My F-series cab was really solid as well. But I cut it up anyway. [ddd
I used a F-6 cab that had been stored for a long time. The guy was going to scrap it if I hadn't bought it so I only thought about not cutting it up for about a minute.:D
Keep at it . You are making good progress.
Torchie

That is one nice truck, great work.[cl[cl You sure aren't wasting any time on the build! At the rate you are going it should be streetable in a couple of weeks.:D

Latest posts

Back