1931 Chevy 4door into pickup.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not a lot to report from the last few days. Still waiting on my driveshaft so in the meantime I decided to repair a lightbulb socket for my oil pressure gauge. The original soldered bit came off and the wire pulled out. So rather than replace the socket, I took a piece of wire, stripped it, put a knot in it, and put a dab of solder on it. I then wired it up again and it works. Aside from that, not a damn thing going on around the shop.

Figured out how to make the old cowl lights work as parking and turn signals today. I've had these things for a few years. Used some universal 1157 sockets, the old bulb sockets, some universal turn signal lenses, and some scrap pieces of 18ga. Siliconed the lenses to the original trim pieces after cutting the lenses down to size and whalla, front turn signals without the $100 speedway price tag.

Tomorrow I'll mount them to te cowl and run the wires to the light switch.

Thanks Soltz. Plus, all the reproduction lights are chrome and chrome just doesn't look right on this car.
So today I got the lights mounted and wired up. Tested the parking light function so all that's left is to get a turn signal switch assembly and wire that up. There's a swap meet tomorrow in great falls so I'm gonna go down there and see if I can find a switch. Anyhow, here's a few pictures.

Thanks guys. Yeah, she's really close now. Need my driveshaft to be here and a few odds an ends(like the king pin kit I ordered back in MARCH) and I can take her down to the glass shop to get a quote on glass. I think that'll probably be my first test run with her seeing as it's only 4 blocks away.

Turn signal switch came in the other day so I got it mounted and wired up. Gonna call up the machine shop who's building my driveshaft in the morning and see if it's close to being finished. I understand they're busy with ag equipment but a month is a bit crazy for a driveshaft. Anyhow, rolled her out of the garage to get a good look at it and boy is she sexy. Looks really long in the pictures but I think it's because it sits so low.

Trailered her to a show in great falls, mt yesterday. They decided to remove the ratrod class because someone begged for a diesel class and no diesels showed up. Instead, about a dozen or more rat rods were there. Anyhow, made a few more good connections with business owners down there and may have a few fabricating opportunities available in the future. Aside from that, it was a great day and people really seamed to be interested in her. On a really cool and funny note, she brought home her first award in something aside from rat rod class. Best diesel of the show...BY DEFAULT!!! The ol' lady and I had a good laugh on the way home.

Thanks old iron. I really like the way it looks. Especially all laid out. Still waiting on the driveshaft to come back but in the meantime I've been collecting parts for my next build. Gonna teach the ol' lady how to weld and wrench on engines a bit. She's really excited to build her own car. Wait for a build thread coming soon.

Latest posts

Back