Wishbone axle end removal

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

28sawrig

Has anyone removed the axle end of a model A wishbone? Was wondering how far past the weld the cast part slides into the tube part.

Try as I might, no luck finding a picture. (Sorry. :( )

I still contend, you'll have 1/4" "shoulder" at best. (Blue Eyed Devil would know for sure.) Why do you ask?

Thanx Doc

Thank you Dr, going to drill through the wishbone and didn’t want to hit the edge of the solid part so it will drill straight without walking sideways so I can put a sleeve through the wishbone. Thanx again

Shackle

Well Doc I have a brain storm and want to put a shackle like a buggy spring through the wishbone to do airbags that are tucked between the frame rails behind the radiator”want to hide the ugly bags” I’ll be putting sleeve through the bone right behind the cast part, I think it will be strong enough to hold a 28 sedan with 350/350. Your thoughts? Ya I know you want pics I’m trying to figure that out.

Well Doc I have a brain storm and want to put a shackle like a buggy spring through the wishbone to do airbags that are tucked between the frame rails behind the radiator”want to hide the ugly bags” I’ll be putting sleeve through the bone right behind the cast part, I think it will be strong enough to hold a 28 sedan with 350/350. Your thoughts? Ya I know you want pics I’m trying to figure that out.

The farther you move the force from the axle, the more bending force you're applying to the wishbones. You're also cutting and welding on 90+ year-old wishbones expecting them to hold up to modern speeds and you're applying twist depending on the design. It might work, but you're taking a big risk. Doesn't sounds like a good idea to me, from a Materials Engineering perspective.

Wishbones were not designed or engineered to carry weight. They were designed to align the axle and determine caster at a certain ride height.

I would not ask a stock model A wishbone (or split bones) to do what you suggest.

Latest posts

Back