Going to need more than a hone.....

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neverdone

He's not done yet...
So the other day I came across a deal on a 400ex 4 wheeler that I couldn't resist. In pretty dang nice shape, lots of upgrades, price was really right, only one catch....... it doesn't run and hasn't ran in probably 5-7 years. Guy was ridin it and it died, wouldn't restart, drug it home put it in the shed and left it.

Got it home pulled some plastics flushed the tank, tore down the carb to soak and stuff, and started other inspections. Found out quickly it has no wind...... Next phase pulled the head. Head looked fine, no sunk valves. Touched the top of the piston and it rocks forward and back. Big uh oh..... Pulled the cylinder and found this..........................

IMG_20130422_203133_569_zps52784445.jpg

Think it will need bored or will a quick hone and some rings fix that?? LOL

Obviously he used too much sand when he ported the manifold. Easy fix though, take the piston off the rod, flip it 180, re-install, and run it.

'It just quit running one day...' :rolleyes:

WHAT... it wasn't running when parked?!? [ddd[ddd[ddd

BoB

Well it was running when it parked itself!!! :D

A wee bit scored??? Yep, no honing that one....what's a jug and piston cost for one of those??? :eek:

Can step up to a forged piston, get a top end gasket set and have it bored out for usually around $250-300. Not too bad.......

Nothing that ole Marvel Mystery cant cure. Dont think the rings are reusable as of now.

I think with a little filing I can get some new rings in there!!! [ddd

Right now I am trying to get the motor out so I can split the case and find the rest of the piston. It must be in there some where. I am thinking I can probably TIG it back together. [S

The problem now is I can't get the pivot bolt out of the back so I can take the motor out. Its the only thing stopping me right now. Will try again tonight and get a little more serious about it. Apparently that quad is known for having the pivot bolt sieze in them. I beat on the dumb thing for about an hour the other night and it wouldn't budge!!

Well, it lives. After little more than a month, a few upgrade options and a lot of cleaning and repairs it is back alive. First fire up last night. Now need to take it an do some light break in riding. Still need to make a few more repairs, needs a new needle and seat as well as a bowl O-ring, battery and front tires. After that it will be practically like a new beast!

Running 400ex

IMG_20130611_201226_484_zpse9ec02e5.jpg

Last edited:
I have quit taking in 4 wheelers for stuff just like that. Always someone just bought it and the previous owners says it was running a couple years ago before we quit using it. Lol, even I get caught in that one, had a lady sell me a Massey Ferguson riding mower at a yard sale. $50, it was running good, we just got a new one a couple years ago and quit using it. Yeah, I got it running but the must have been 1/2 inch of play in the con rod. It went on a load of scrap iron last week.

Latest posts

Back