Looking for some advice on a trade

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bamamav

OK guys, I need a little help in making up my mind on a trade. I have always wanted a 30's-40's street rod. I have never been able to afford to buy a completed one, and have made a few efforts at building one, only to give them up for something else when the fiances got low or I tired of not having a drivable car. A unique opportunity has come my way now though, I just need a little help in making up my mind.

The car is a 1946 Lincoln Club Coupe. Somebody has already spent a ton of money on the car, it has a small block Chevy 350 turbo, Ford 8" rear. The engine is not my 1st choice, but I can always swap to a small block Ford at a later date if I decide to. The car has a pretty good paint job, but it has been sitting outside a long time and has some rust bubbling up at the fender joints, cowl vent, and rain gutters. It will have to be repainted at some time. The body is very sound, no rust through at all that I could find, the interior has been totally redone but needs a good cleaning from sitting. The bad thing is I will have to go through the brakes, it currently has none, so I can't drive it right now. I can deal with the painted chrome pieces, I can repaint those until I can find some replacements.

All in all, the car seems sound. A good clean up, some new tires and brake work, and I will have a car that I can still drive as I work on the problem areas. I can make do with the paint for a while, too. I will just have to work one problem area at a time on it until I get ready for new paint. I would also plan on a new wiring kit, as I don't trust those 67 year old wires for long. And later, an upgrade to power steering and AC is in order, but those can wait a while.

My dilemma, if you want to call it that, is in order to get this car, I have to give one up, and that one is my Maverick. I think I can trade even for the Lincoln. I built the Maverick from the ground up, buying parts and pieces as I could afford them, then putting it together. I did all the work, even the body and paint. It is running and driving, only needing a front end alignment and a trans cooler hose replaced. It does have some paint issues popping up though, some rust bubbling up on the doors and rear quarters due to some rust sealer product from Eastwood not doing what it was supposed to do. And the engine is getting tired, but it still runs good, just starting to use a good bit of oil.

Like I said, I have always wanted a street rod. But, the Maverick is kinda the car I would have built in High School if I could have afforded it. While the Lincoln is not my dream car of a 32 or 40 Ford, it's real close to the 40. Just like my Maverick is close to fastback Mustang. Not the same, but share a lot of parts and styling. And different, too. I always like having something different than all the Mustangs and Camaros at shows, and the Lincoln would be the same way. Look at these pics and tell me what you'd do. I'm not gonna get mad either way. Just want some opinions other than my own.
rightside_zps0f5d2f76.jpg

front_zps4080e518.jpg

100_1663_zpsc0a9550d.jpg

100_1664_zpsbeafb521.jpg

Lincoln's are big cars, even the coupes.
If the size doesn't bother you you'll actually enjoy driving this beauty.
Too bad it didn't have the original engine though.
I really like your Maverick too. If you're starting to have rust bubble issues it may be time to go towards the car of your dreams and this is probably the stepping stone to get you headed in that direction.
My final answer is; DO IT !!!!!!!!

Seen guys do this a hundred times. That Lincoln will need more than brakes. When you get it home and look at stuff close you'll spend a ton of money and lots of time "fixing little things" If you really rather work on them and not drive it for a long while do the deal. If you want to drive and enjoy now, keep the Maverick. You're going to miss that Maverick when it's gone...;)

No matter which way you go some day you will be kicking your butt for not going the other direction..........that is just human nature. While I am not a Maverick fan, yours looks good and it seems you have some personal history and attachment to it. The Lincoln, while cool, isn't most guys idea of a 30's 40's hot rod because of the rarity and size. But it would be different.

Tough call either way.

Don

I know it is hard to give up a ride you built but in this case I would take the Lincoln. In the future it will be worth far more than the Maverick and maybe you can buy the Maverick back someday.

I love the look of the Lincoln-your Maverick is sweet too, but with a little time and effort the Lincoln will really stand out. Like Fuzz said it will probably need more than just brake work and tires once you get it home-but that's part of the fun of having an old car. I'd do it!!!!

trade

if you trade remember you got it to cruise and enjoy.

leave the SBC if it runs good because the "just change one thing" becomes a nightmare to get it back on the road.

well , you say, why l got it apart might re- do the wiring, oh, now the ''insert whatever part here'' needs updated and so on tell it sits for 10 years not going anywhere.

just fix what it needs to get it road worthy and safe to drive.

personal experience and knowing several people this has happened to has taught to leave crap alone and just enjoy it unless it is a total rebuild or ground up project or it is so bad it needs to be done. and of course with long term completion plan/date projects there is not as much pressure to get going, therefore you can take the time to do it right.

my 1948 dodge truck was "quick' sub-frame and motor change that took 15 years and the little updates to my 1957 chevy 150 that still in pieces in the garage and not going to running any time soon, has been ongoing since 1991.

think it thru before the trade and then the just gonna change this a little, it may never see the road again.

ya always can throw for sale sale signs in it's when she's running and trade/sell to get what ya want already running and driving.

my posts are turning into Torch style ramblings[ddd

Later :cool:

Last edited:
I would trade it. I will say I am not a maverick fan although they are better than pintos or mustang II's. Heed what is said here. Only fix enough to get it running. Then tackle one upgrade at a time. Try and 2 and it will not move again for 8 years. It sounds like you are bored with the maverick and looking for something else to tinker with. The sense of accomplishment is what you are after. Do it![cl

Tough call there, I guess it all depends on what you enjoy doing, driving the car after its built, or more so the build itself. That lincoln is going to need way more work than it appears to be a nice, reliable runner like your Maverick is....

Personally, if the Lincoln isn't that dream car you speak of, then I'd pass on it, as its not worth giving up something you love and your blood sweat and tears for something that isn't your dream car...

Looks like ya'll are thinking the same things I am, and that's good. 5 for trading and 2-3 against, that's about how I'm feeling right now. I like the Lincoln except for the front end, and that kinda grows on you. Sorta like looking at a beautifully figured woman from behind, nice curves and lines, then she turns around and has a big nose and half her teeth are missing!

I'm not getting in any hurry, I want to take my time on this. A Maverick I can pick up at any time if I want another one, the Lincoln, not so.
Somebody on here, I can't remember who it was, said it was only a car, they had had hundreds of them. They had no attachment to any vehicle they owned, I can't say that, but like Don said, either way I will look back and say" I wish I had of...".

I'm still thinking on it....:confused:

I would trade. There will be a lot of things you want to change and a lot of things you will need to change. That's hot rodding in a nut shell. If you don't have the stones or desire to tackle any of that then buy a 1998 Toyota Corolla and give up.
Like has been said, fix what it needs to make it safe and drivable, then drive the crap out of it. Enjoy it for a while. When the novelty wears off, then think about doing some major changes to it.
I like that old Lincoln. The only thing I would change right away is the black out chrome. That needs to be chrome again. Other than that, I would drive the tire off of it.
That's my two cents - and that's about all I can afford these days ;)

There is a pretty decent looking original one on ebay right now:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1946...4650751?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item3f22ac34ff

people aren't exactly running the price up way high on it. If you ask me, it is one of those cars you either love or hate. I doubt it would be a quick sale if you needed to unload it as is.

The only way I'd consider it is if I wanted to build a radical custom (chop the top and completely change the front end...maybe change the shape of all of the fenders). I really don't need another project of that magnitude right now.

I would do the trade, its not really a Hot Rod but man it could be a hell of a Kustom. But that would meen alotta work but you have and could whittle away on it while you drive it and winter project's. Thats what I see Long an LOW!
Found one kinda like I am talking except the color.:rolleyes:

Attachments

• 1947-Lincoln-Club-Coupe[1].jpg
    1947-Lincoln-Club-Coupe[1].jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 14
  • 5427370986_3fef082a35[1].jpg
    5427370986_3fef082a35[1].jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 16
  • Zucchis-Wild-Orchid-1946-Lincoln-Club-Coupe[1].jpg
    Zucchis-Wild-Orchid-1946-Lincoln-Club-Coupe[1].jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Add another one for trading it. After you get rid of the black chrome and get it running it will be cool. SBC not my choice either but I wouldn't toss it out just because its a chevy.

Do you have covered parking for it? If so, you might not have to mess with the rust for awhile. Get some rust converter on the bad spots and leave it alone.

I would actually prefer the SBC and auto to the orginal powertrain. Rowing a 3 on the tree in a big slow car is not a whole lot of fun.

Parts are rare and expensive if you need NOS parts. There are not many repro parts available like Fords. Make sure the hydraulic mechanical windows are working. These a super cool cars but may not be the best choice for a first older street rod.

I've always liked the lines on the early Mavrick, never understood why more people didn't do them up. It would be a hard trade for me to make. I'm not into leadsleds and thats about all the Lincoln would be good for. I'm not even too crazy about the lines, and the front view is just butt ugly to me.

Latest posts

Back