Custom Mopar ????

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
California dreaming. On such a winters day.....

More prep for the sectioning. Even though this car was gutted there is still some things that needed to be removed.
A couple of the pics show the factory interior bracing that I will try t avoid cutting thru.
The A pillar has a spot about 3-1/2 inches wide with no bracing behind it.
Thanks for checking up on me.....
Torchie

Attachments

• 2-1.jpg
    2-1.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 35
  • 2-7.jpg
    2-7.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 33
  • 2-4.jpg
    2-4.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 33
  • 2-6.jpg
    2-6.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 33
  • 2-5.jpg
    2-5.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 33
  • 2-3.jpg
    2-3.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 32
  • 2-2.jpg
    2-2.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 33
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 38
Two posts Thurs......er. Friday

After a less then auspicious start I got my S$#% together.:eek::p
First of many cuts to come.
You can see where I just skirted the top of that A pillar brace.:eek:
Torchie

Attachments

• 2-3.jpg
    2-3.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 31
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 32
  • 2-1.jpg
    2-1.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 31
  • 2-2.jpg
    2-2.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 30
  • 2-4.jpg
    2-4.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 33
  • 2-5.jpg
    2-5.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 32
  • 2-6.jpg
    2-6.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 31
  • 2-7.jpg
    2-7.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 30
  • 2-8.jpg
    2-8.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 32
Looking good!

If you're using that wood block for a measuring device, Would a metal block be be more stable in moisture changes such as you'll be experiencing through the winter? Just curious if you foresee any troubles.

Looking good!

If you're using that wood block for a measuring device, Would a metal block be be more stable in moisture changes such as you'll be experiencing through the winter? Just curious if you foresee any troubles.

I am using the wood block as the template snopro.
I would have liked to use a piece of sheet metal but lacked a way the get a perfect 3 inch wide cut. If I only had a shear. LOL
I don't believe that there will be much, if any, change with the wood. It has been well climatized to my garage and I'm not running any heat yet. And hopefully I won't take the whole winter to make these cuts. .:eek: :rolleyes:
Plus with my lack of feeling in my hands the slightly thicker block makes it easier for me to work with.
My cuts are far from perfect so, there will be much measuring (As well as some grinding I suspect) when it comes time to join the two halves back together.
Torchie

Clarification post.

Looking good!

LOL. It just dawned on me what your "Wooden Block" post was about. snopro.[S
The block shown in the previous post is my way of holding up the top while I cut . I am too lazy to get out the straps to hang it from the roof trusses plus hanging it that way would not allow the garage door to open. So I cut a bunch of wooden blocks and will put them at strategic points.
The new pics shows the templates I am using. Still made of wood. One short and one long one for the cuts thru the quarters.
That's all for now folks......
Torchie

Attachments

• 2-9.jpg
    2-9.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 23
  • 2-10.jpg
    2-10.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 23
I haven't tuned in for a while and have to say I feel like I'm underperforming when I see all the work you've done on the chop only to tear into a sectioning job! [cl[cl
If we all had your determination and dedication the world would be a better place.:)

Thanks for the props gang !
If I can lay my hands on more saw blades today I will continue cutting into the quarter panel.
I was going to finish welding the top first ZZ, but It is tacked together enough to be secure and I wanted to get going on the sectioning before it gets too much colder in the shop.
And beside. All that welding isn't going any where.:eek: :rolleyes: [;) [;) [;)
Torchie

Todays progress.

Laid out the quarter panel.
Cut into the quarter panel as well as moving into the firewall.
That's it until tomorrow and I get some more saw blades. I really pushed the last one to make that firewall cut and in doing so I got a little off my line.:eek:
This 1949 Dodge steel is some tough stuff.:eek: :cool:
Torchie

Attachments

• 2-13.jpg
    2-13.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 32
  • 2-12.jpg
    2-12.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 31
  • 2-11.jpg
    2-11.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 30