Bonneville salt flats in 2015

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thinking about driving to California to see the redwoods and then heading down the California coast before taking the low route back across the country.....

one of my baby brother will be there, but i'm not sure what they will be running. they have a vette and some harleys.

a new generation.

A few years ago I drove down and my son took about a dozen Boy Scouts out and we camped at the bend.
It was the USFRA sponsored week and all the boys and leaders wearing their Scout uniforms got in free. Ohio State was there with their streamliner, they spent a lot of time showing their car and support trailer, explaining what was involved in the design and preparation.

Attachments

• IMG_4693_e.jpg
    IMG_4693_e.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 17
What events are going on now? I will be thru the area this morning and will probably come back thru Friday or Saturday.

Well looks like I'm hanging here anyways for a little bit. U joint just started to go out on my truck. Sitting at Oriellys on salt lake if anyone's around swing by lol. I'll be the guy changing my u joint in the parking lot. :D

satalite images

There is still a lot of moisture out above the pacific. Flooding around Salt Lake City. we all hope things will dry out. We are about 300 miles north and it rained every day last August. The moisture ruined a lot of grain and hay. Best weather info is from the Utah Salts Flats Racers. They are usually very quick to E-mail back with info.

Just a heads up if'n your plan is Bonneville this year, may have to watch salt conditions close it's not a sure bet this year either. I will try to keep you up to date as best I can. Problem is not just rain but a lack of salt depth, may be getting to the end of a great tradition.

SCTA is currently taking a poll to see who would show up if they can only run a short course, 2 miles to get to speed, third mile timed. They will check the salt again on 7/20 and proceed from there to try to make it happen or not, still weather permitting. The problem seems to be the mining removing much of the salt depth.

SCTA is currently taking a poll to see who would show up if they can only run a short course, 2 miles to get to speed, third mile timed. They will check the salt again on 7/20 and proceed from there to try to make it happen or not, still weather permitting. The problem seems to be the mining removing much of the salt depth.

This very good article seems to say that it's not related to the mining

Salt Problems for Speed Week

They also just confirmed there will be 2 courses, with a minimum 3 miles timed for the longer course.

I'm not a scientist but if they are mining and removing salt and there's a shortage of salt for the racers. How's it not related? Lol[S

I'm not a scientist but if they are mining and removing salt and there's a shortage of salt for the racers. How's it not related? Lol[S

I'm also confused.[S

Both links ^above^ take me to the same article and the article claims...

Levels of salt at the Bonneville Salt Flats are depleting rapidly. Many mineral extraction companies use salt from the flats, diverting the lake's natural water supply, affecting already record low lake water levels. All of these factors contribute to lack of salt on the salt flats that recharge naturally by regular flooding and ebb and flow of the salt water.

Latest posts

Back