32 Pierce Arrow Rat

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Totally stretch the doors! I've done it a couple times - if you have all 4 doors, it's not that hard. Cut the rear off a front door and splice on the front of the rear door from the other side. Besides, if you shorten the body to just use the fronts from the 4dr., you'll have to narrow the rear of the body - or widen the cowl. These are pics of my Packard, did the same on a 34 Cadillac and though I made a 2dr. from a 4dr., the door mods are the same- it just plain looks better.

Attachments

• may 4 2013 36 packard 011.jpg
    may 4 2013 36 packard 011.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 56
  • DSC01947.jpg
    DSC01947.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 63
yep

yep, the way ZZ done his is how we did the race car ones, 'course mine ended up 57'' long.

Later :cool:

Attachments

• DSC02400.jpg
    DSC02400.jpg
    179.2 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
After looking at pics on the internet, I'd cut the body down to use the front doors from the 4 door. The 4 door doors are decent sized as opposed to freakin' huge. It would look more coup-ish (Ford proportions?).

Isn't having different proportions than a more common hot-rod part of what makes this one so cool?

-Chaz

mine on the sedan are 285/70/15 T/A'a and are 3O 1/2'' tall X 11 1/4 wide and my fenderwells are pretty big and they fill them up nicely.

a 305/7015 is 31 3/4'' tall X 12'' wide and l have seen them in car tread so tires are not a problem to find.

site to show tire sizes:

http://tire-size-conversion.com/tire-size-calculator/

Later:cool:

Yeah, it's not that hard to find big tires that work. I'm running 31x10.5R15 SUV tires, which are the same size as your 285/70/15. It's easy to find 33x10.5 tires or 35" tall tires as well, no big deal.

I got 32" on the front and 35" on the back.. but we all know Im weird...

The rear tires on my flatbed are 33" tall if I remember correctly, but I think it will take a tire a lot bigger than that to make this car look "right" as a fenderless hot rod. It is a BIG car.

27249219-770-0@2X.jpg

Just so we can move the topic from the doors...yes, I will stretch them ;) thanks for all the input guys! I don't have too much to update on the build...still boxing in the Z and cleaning up the frame at this point. Ran out of gas, so the welding has come to a halt until I can get a refill (hopefully today!)
I did acquire a steering wheel/column/box from what we presume is from an old 20's REO...I'll get some photos up later tonight and I'll send some to the REO club of America to see if they can confirm this. FREE once again (I have GREAT neighbors!)
More to come!

How did you mount the wheels to the rear, did you just fab up an adapter?

Pretty much, yes. The easy way. I measured, then looked through used tire shops until I found a wheel with the right pattern and backspacing. Then I mounted it and let it spin on Earthman's S-10 and cut off the inside rim. I took what was left and centered it in the big rim, and welded it. [;)

It's a big ol' tire on a small pattern, but I won't be hauling any weight, or pulling a trailer. I've seen the wheel spoke pattern on S-10s, so I'm almost certain that's what they came from.

Oh, and yes, they're centered and straight. ;)

Thanks 8liter....I found a guy on craigslist that is selling a few 10-22.5's for $50 (50% tread left) and I was hoping to find a cheap way to mount them! You are my hero!

Still finishing up boxing the Z, got my gas...ran out of wire...ugh. Back up and running though.[;)[cl

Attachments

• IMAG0501.jpg
    IMAG0501.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 34
  • IMAG0504.jpg
    IMAG0504.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 33
  • IMAG0506.jpg
    IMAG0506.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 32
Here's some pics of the possible REO steering column, etc. If anyone has an ID on this, feel free!

Attachments

• IMAG0513.jpg
    IMAG0513.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 30
  • IMAG0512.jpg
    IMAG0512.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 28
  • IMAG0511.jpg
    IMAG0511.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 27
  • IMAG0510.jpg
    IMAG0510.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 27
Dodge 1/2 pickups that come with 20" wheels have spares that are mounted on steel wheels, I think they have a 5 on 5 1/2" bolt pattern. Coker Tire has lots of 20" tires that are 32" to 35" tall, white whitewalls and blackwalls, also radials.
You must have the best part scrounging luck! Keep going while it's hot [cl.

Latest posts

Back