Custom Mopar ????

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did you bring the dash and steering wheel home with you?
Not yet. Skip....[ddd
Damn, that's a cool car. Love the three piece back window and the trim and the dash and the wheel and the and the and the...

I have always really liked the 4 door hardtops that were made in the 50's. Pretty much everyone had a version of them except Ford I think. And they did have some in their Mercury Line.
The Olds and the Buicks went with the radius rear wheel opening and the Caddy's Pontiac and Chevy went with a more covered on but that 3 piece rear window is particular to Olds only and they don't have as much of the garish chrome trim as the Buicks either.
I would have liked to get a closer look but it was very icy around the car so my friend got out and took a few quick pics. I suspect it will be sitting right there come spring time.
[P [P [P
Torchie

Ford had 'em, my friend. I even had a '56 Victoria four-door hardtop in the late 60s. But that's another story in itself.

Ford had 'em, my friend. I even had a '56 Victoria four-door hardtop in the late 60s. But that's another story in itself.

Makes sense that they would have, Skip. I was searching in my ever smaller brain and couldn't picture any except the Merc.. I should have used my "super brain"..... Google.:eek: [ddd [cl
Like I've said for years. I think all the car design guys hung out at the same bar afterwork. If one had it.The all did.....:D [ddd
Torchie

I had a ford galaxie 4 door with posts but it had the same top as the 2 door and 4 door hardtop, painted it a nice 60s christmas ornament satin green. when I was selling it the 4 door haters were unmerciful, even though it was nicer than anything they had ever put together in their miserable lives (maybe haha). one guy texted and said "I COULD SEE THAT PRICE FOR A TWO DOOR" and so I shot him back "Tell me which pair you would like me to weld up!"

sorry for the sidetrack. cool is cool, and that olds is cool.

I had a ford galaxie 4 door with posts but it had the same top as the 2 door and 4 door hardtop, painted it a nice 60s christmas ornament satin green. when I was selling it the 4 door haters were unmerciful, even though it was nicer than anything they had ever put together in their miserable lives (maybe haha). one guy texted and said "I COULD SEE THAT PRICE FOR A TWO DOOR" and so I shot him back "Tell me which pair you would like me to weld up!"

sorry for the sidetrack. cool is cool, and that olds is cool.

The "More door" haters are still out there, joedoh. But I can remember when station wagons weren't "Cool"either. :eek: [ddd
I've had numerous 4 doors ( And station wagons)over the years and when i was sitting in the front seat driving I couldn't tell that they were 4 doors.:p [ddd
We are supposed to get some better weather here. I may have to go back and check it out myself if the ice around it melts.
Torchie

here is my moredoor torchie, the venom in the replies was potent! i liked the car a lot, it was like driving a two bedroom apartment

Attachments

• Picture 005.jpg
    Picture 005.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 26
  • Picture 003.jpg
    Picture 003.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 24
Nice car Joe.

One thing for sure is that the newer generation of hot rodders doesn't seem to have an issue with a couple extra doors. I saw a 49 Ford four door on CL the other day, and the price was pretty tempting. I still prefer a two door, but...

here is my moredoor torchie, the venom in the replies was potent! i liked the car a lot, it was like driving a two bedroom apartment
Very nice . One of the station wagons I had was a 62 Ford Country Squire complete with the fake woodgraining. I loved that car

Nice car Joe.

One thing for sure is that the newer generation of hot rodders doesn't seem to have an issue with a couple extra doors. I saw a 49 Ford four door on CL the other day, and the price was pretty tempting. I still prefer a two door, but...
Some of that has to do with the price and availability of 2 doors as well . Skip
To me the 4 doors seem to be a cheaper way to get into the hobby. Plus with a family you can put seat belts in it and use it as a family cruiser.
I've seen some very nice customs built from 4 doors.
Torchie

Very nice . One of the station wagons I had was a 62 Ford Country Squire complete with the fake woodgraining. I loved that car

Some of that has to do with the price and availability of 2 doors as well . Skip
To me the 4 doors seem to be a cheaper way to get into the hobby. Plus with a family you can put seat belts in it and use it as a family cruiser.
I've seen some very nice customs built from 4 doors.
Torchie

For me when I bought my 62 Bel Air 4 door sedan in 2004 (at 18 years of age) I wanted a 4-door or wagon because at that time there were very few people driving 4 door collector cars. And now I'm still the second owner of a car that was built 24 years before I was :D

Personally, I love the lines and proportions of my car. Not all 4 doors have great lines, but there are many that do. Not everyone gets it, and that's okay.

Not as many 4 doors survived, after all, they make great parts cars![ddd[ddd[ddd

I gotta agree though, those 4 door hardtops are cool. Done up right, most of them you don't notice the two extra door handles. I think some of them even hid them from the factory in the trim line.

Not as many 4 doors survived, after all, they make great parts cars![ddd[ddd[ddd

I gotta agree though, those 4 door hardtops are cool. Done up right, most of them you don't notice the two extra door handles. I think some of them even hid them from the factory in the trim line.

Here's a poor mans custom trick for you, Bama.
When My daughter and I did her 60 Chevy 4 door we painted the rear handles to match the body color and left the front ones chrome.:eek::D [ddd
You had to look twice to notice the rear handles.
Torchie

Even though my current project is up to it's roof in snow. I'm still at it. Albeit as a voyeur..:eek: [ddd
Helping a young guy thru his first chop via the internet and calls and texting.:D
He's in Iowa and I'm in the middle of no where.:)
1952 Plymouth Cranbrook.
Looking good so far. The rear window on these are interesting as the lower pinch weld lays almost immediately on top of the cat walk.
He took 3 inches out of the A pillar and then lowered the rear accordingly.
Progress so far...
Torchie

Attachments

• 2-1.jpg
    2-1.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 32
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 32
  • 2-3.jpg
    2-3.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 32
Even though my current project is up to it's roof in snow. I'm still at it. Albeit as a voyeur..:eek: [ddd
Helping a young guy thru his first chop via the internet and calls and texting.:D
He's in Iowa and I'm in the middle of no where.:)
1952 Plymouth Cranbrook.
Looking good so far. The rear window on these are interesting as the lower pinch weld lays almost immediately on top of the cat walk.
He took 3 inches out of the A pillar and then lowered the rear accordingly.
Progress so far...
Torchie
Your student is doing well. I'd be proud. [cl

Your student is doing well. I'd be proud. [cl

LOL. I don't know that he's my student, Skip.Just a young guy with a dream. The desire and the talent. [cl :cool: I am proud of him though, and have told him so.
I'm more of a tour guide. Just pointing out things of interest as he travels his path.:D
Torchie

Latest posts

Back