welding on Model T frames from mid 20's

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skull

''SARCASM: just one of his many talents.''
l have a model T frame that needs boxed and streched and z'd so l can start mock up. l was told that because of the type metal used in these frames that welding will not work to for what l want, ls this true a 4 link and panhard bar, coilover shocks, mustang ll front end, disc/ drum brake set up, ford 9 inch and the dredded small block chevy[350 horse 1969 327 and a 700R4]
lf l cannot weld on this frame, what are the options? any help would be greatly appreacted,,,later , thanks ;; l am NOT a welder, nor do l play one on T V

l know it looks rough now but with time and money it'll be better

Attachments

• DSCI0001.jpg
    DSCI0001.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 22
  • DSCI0004.jpg
    DSCI0004.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 18
  • DSCI0005.jpg
    DSCI0005.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 13
  • model t.jpg
    model t.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
It would be a lot better to build a tube frame from 2x3 tube. It would be a lot stronger and probably a lot quicker. Possibly less expensive also.

I've never heard you can't weld the old T frames, but It might have merit. When I grind or cut on that old iron It smells unusual--Maybe a high sulpher content in the iron.?? ( I remember that someone said the Titanic sank because of the metal sulpher content in the plates made them fail) It also seems --'spongy' soft kinda--? It might just be 100 years of heat cycling and rust has compromised the metal.. Whatever--I wouldn't trust it for doing much..

I know guys have boxed A frames-- and still do with good results. Heres an A thats boxed and apparently strong enough to tolerate this. (My latest Favorite). The landing of this kinda thing has bent alotta frames.. But IfIwusYou-- I'd buy or build one from newer material or newer JY frames. Theres lots of 'how tos' here and all over the net.

PA41

Attachments

• jkitg.jpg
    jkitg.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 19
I have a boxed Model T frame in my dragster. See the dragster build thread at the top of the page. You can weld on it. Model T frames aren't very deep in the front. You will need some stout crossmembers to keep it rigid.
But since you are going to use moderm suspension parts, there little reason to keep the T frame for appearance. Your project will be much easier if you make the frame out of rectangular tubing.

Latest posts

Back