My project

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks BH, i coulod use some washers to do the shackles on the outside of the mount. but, if i don't have to i would really like to leave them off.

Thanks for the heads up.

wow, i can't believe it has been a year since i have updated this thread. I am going to try and get all of the progress written out along with pictures. It may take a few rounds because of work, but hang in there and you will be rewarded.

Since the last post alot has happened. I closed my dealership, got married, got pregnant, sold my house, got a new job (that increased my hours to about 70 a week, but it is a steady paycheck), and have paid most of my credit card debt off.

Anyways, now for the good stuff.
The floor now has a frame made of 1x1.
The flooring is oak that has been outside "curing" for 20+ years on the hood of a 52 Mercury 4 door!
The steering box is mounted and works! the steering column is complete to the firewall. I'll have to figure out my column mount soon.
The zoomies are built but no baffles yet. Thanks PA41 again for the flanges.
The seat mounts are done.
The trans tunnel bracing is done.

That's about it. Now for the pictures of the updates.

P1050395.jpg

P1050466.jpg

P1050465.jpg

P1050469.jpg

obviously, the tranny tunnel is not complete. hopefully, that can be done soon. And now for whole car pics. I even have a few of it sitting outside!

P1060430.jpg

P1040653.jpg

P1040651.jpg

P1040649.jpg

more updates coming as i can get them. The baby is due in January and i need to have this completed by then for obvious reasons.

Thank you for looking.

I have been pondering on the caster predicament. I was planning to use pinion shims originally designed for a rear axle and bolt them under my mounting plates between the axle. this should allow me to get the 5* everyone talks about.

Well, i have some bad news for everyone. This project is no more. The time table and remaining build cost is too great. As well as, the time needed to finish this before the baby arrives in 6-10 weeks. We are going to use the roof frame for a trailer frame. The 350 engine is being sold to a monte carlo guy to build. The transmissionwill be explained in the next paragraph. The project is being loaded on the trailer for the crusher tonite. There is no turning back now.
Okay, Now for the silver lining. My grandfather has owned a 1966 GMC 1/2 ton 2wd for more then 30 years. This truck was my first vehicle and has so much sentimental value. Here is the plan: leave the 283 in it. Take the 700r4 from the rat and install in the 66. Take the power brake booster and master cylinder from the rat and install it in the 66. Take the front suspension from a donor 1973 Chevy 1/2 ton and install in the 66 (we already have the donor suspension parts). Install the rear axle from said 73 under 66. Rebuild brake system, install drop springs in front, remove a few springs from the back (he converted to leaf springs sometime in the early 80s), and drive the **** out of it.
The truck is rough but will be more practical in the end. The rat gave me alot build experience and did not cost much $$.

Thank you for all your kind compliments and advice. I will begin a build thread on the 66 in the next few days.

i don't think you'll regret the decision once you cruise down the road in your 66....alot more practical, and roomy--even enuf room in one of those for a baby seat if you have seat-belts!!

Latest posts

Back