1936 Packard

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The weather gods smiled today, took the body parts to my friend to have him blast them clean. He accomplished in 5 hours what I could never have done in a year - well worth the $$. Media used is crushed glass - no residue and most importantly, no warpage.
Of course some pinholes were exposed in welds and on thin areas, but that's a good thing, I'll zap them with the MIG, better than having bubbles pop up in the bodywork after painting.
Hopefully I can get some epoxy primer on everything in the next couple days.

Attachments

• 20140927_135230.jpg
    20140927_135230.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 108
  • 20140927_135308.jpg
    20140927_135308.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 114
  • 20140927_135322.jpg
    20140927_135322.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 100
  • DSC00447.jpg
    DSC00447.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 106
  • DSC00449.jpg
    DSC00449.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 101
  • DSC00452.jpg
    DSC00452.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 92
Wow, ZZ, either that car just recently came out of the factory like that or you've done a remarkable tin bashing job. There's no hiding things from the sandblaster. He reveals everything.
Wow ZZ. Keep on tinkering.

How many different bodies have been on that dolly?
I think it's 6 or 7...

Wow, ZZ, either that car just recently came out of the factory like that or you've done a remarkable tin bashing job. There's no hiding things from the sandblaster. He reveals everything.
Wow ZZ. Keep on tinkering.

I wish it was true - the flat silver look of freshly blasted steel is deceptive to the eye - lots of metal massaging to do before it will truly be straight.
Got the first pieces sprayed with a nice juicy coat of epoxy primer, tomorrow I'll flip them over and spray the backsides with black Tremclad (Rustoleum).

Attachments

• DSC00456.jpg
    DSC00456.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 62
  • DSC00457.jpg
    DSC00457.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 58
Always like your work.

Amazes me even more that you do it in a ~regular~ garage, driveway, and back porch (based on the latest photos).

Your wife and neighbors must be very understanding.

Question for you ZZ.
When you shot your pieces in epoxy did you use any reducer or just the catylst?
Mine went onwhat I would consider to be dry. Not as shiney as yours.
This was my first time using epoxy and I followed the manufacturer's mixing ratio. It also said that to use it as sealer add no reducer and to use it as primer use reducer.
Also. What brand did you use.
Come spring I will scuff and recoat then lay on the high build primer over the fresh epoxy "wet to wet".
Just trying to figure out if it was operator error.[S
Thanks,
Torchie.

Always like your work.

Amazes me even more that you do it in a ~regular~ garage, driveway, and back porch (based on the latest photos).

Your wife and neighbors must be very understanding.

A few things work in my favor -
Orchards on 2 sides,
Yes, understanding wife (mostly),:rolleyes:
Neighbors are just plain used to seeing rust go in and hot rods come out of my garage,
I've outlasted all the neighbors on our 6 house cul-de-sac. [ddd
Not having dead or partially dissected cars in the driveway for more than a couple days

Question for you ZZ.
When you shot your pieces in epoxy did you use any reducer or just the catylst?
Mine went onwhat I would consider to be dry. Not as shiney as yours.
This was my first time using epoxy and I followed the manufacturer's mixing ratio. It also said that to use it as sealer add no reducer and to use it as primer use reducer.
Also. What brand did you use.
Come spring I will scuff and recoat then lay on the high build primer over the fresh epoxy "wet to wet".
Just trying to figure out if it was operator error.[S
Thanks,
Torchie.

I used PPG Omni, mixed 2 parts epoxy, 1 part catalyst and 1 part medium reducer. Even at that ratio I found it is heavy spraying and the nozzle needs cleaning after each fill of the cup. I can't imagine spraying it with no no reducer, sooo thick.
Hey, I'm totally an amateur at painting, when things come out nice it's mostly blind luck....:eek:
At a wild guess, I'd say temperature is your problem with it going on dry - if it's really warm, a slow speed reducer may help, or spray early in the morning when it's cooler.

Thanks for the response ZZ.
As I said it was my first time using epoxy. So I followed the instructions for using it as a sealer. :eek:
I don't think temp was the issue as it was a dry 69 degrees the 2nd time I shot it and the first time it was cooler so I am thinking that it was more likely the lack of reducer.
I used my old stand by Binks siphon gun. Got a nozzle like a fire hose on it.:D
I think that I will mess with the formula when I reshoot the doors after the body work on them gets done. That is if the weather ever gets a little warmer.
Torchie.

Wow! That thing is cool as heck!!! May be a new genre of building - the Gangster Rod. And I mean Al Capone, not Tupac. ;)

I've only sprayed epoxy twice. First time was dry like Torchie the second time I sprayed it wet enough I thought it was going to run, turned out real good.
I use an HVLP gun.
Both times I used the same ratio as ZZ.

Got the epoxy primer on the body and sprayed the inside and underside with black Tremclad. It's going to be quite a while before I get to the finish body work so this should keep it protected while it waits.
Rolled the chassis back inside for disassembly, final welding and cleanup, then painting.

Attachments

• DSC00459.jpg
    DSC00459.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 80
  • DSC00460.jpg
    DSC00460.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 79
  • DSC00464.jpg
    DSC00464.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 78
  • DSC00466.jpg
    DSC00466.jpg