1936 Diamond T with 6BT cummins

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You guys are having fun!

I read your whole blog, what a fantastic time you're having.
I'm envious, keep up the great work and documentation!
[cl
[P
Good luck finding a 6th door hinge, you might ask around here, it's amazing what these guys are able to lay their hands on.
-Chaz

I read your whole blog, what a fantastic time you're having.
I'm envious, keep up the great work and documentation!
[cl
[P
Good luck finding a 6th door hinge, you might ask around here, it's amazing what these guys are able to lay their hands on.
-Chaz

There is a local DT guy that said he had extra hinges last time we visited him - so we will be visiting him again REAL soon to see if he does have them. He actually had trim for the inside door window area that were in a lot better shape than the ones we had that he sold us for really cheap (we bought the brownie from him too)

Glad to see someone building one of these, I came across one at the swap meet this weekend and thought about how badass it would be to build a diesel dually. Here is the one for sale
1412468039.jpg

do you know what year it was? If it was a 36-40, I would have bought it for parts. Dang, wish I had swap meets like that around here!

No idea what year it is, I just thought it would make a awesome truck. Would have liked to have gotten it my self but didn't bring the trailer and have to fix my daily lol.

Well, it's been a while since I've posted, but we do have some progress. We have been gathering more parts and finally got our hands on a DECENT grill! WOHOOO!

I am TRYING to post a pic of the grill from my flickr page, but nothing is working! UGH.

Anybody use Flickr with some suggestions? There used to be a 'view all sizes' option that I could get a link from that would work, but I don't see that option anymore.

Anyhow, I have a couple blog posts since my last post here:
http://36hillbillydeluxe.com

Always good to find needed parts!!!!

Yes, finding parts is great - we actually got 2 doors too - with one exterior handle and more interior handles - and one door has working window mechanism and handle - and I think we can get the other door parts to work as well. I am not sure if we can use the actual doors themselves, or if it's better to just use the doors we have been working on. The hardest part of these doors is - they are HEAVY and the hinge side is weak :(

Well, I have been kind of neglecting this thread. We have more progress on the truck and last weekend we bought a parts truck.

Does anybody use Flickr for photo storage and HOW THE HECK to you get the photos to appear on the forum here? I found the 'share image' and am able to get a URL, but when I use 'insert image' and paste that URL, it just doesn't work! Frustrating.

In any event, the new blog post is up with pics of the parts truck. And there are a few blog posts that I didn't update here as well.

http://www.36hillbillydeluxe.com/

20160116_142257 by Karin Vail, on Flickr

aaaaa, persistence pays off - I found how to post photos from flickr finally! This is a pic I forgot to put on my blog post - we also got one hood side with the parts truck (the truck didn't have any, but the seller had one he sold us from a different truck). I found the passenger side hood side on ebay about a year ago, so we were just lacking the drivers side :)

And, thanks Old Iron! I hadn't even thought about using the URL's from blogger, DUH!

Gauges bought and are here! (We got Autometer Antique Beige).
20160513_112103 by Karin Vail, on Flickr

We have been making custom gauge panels for the dash - similar to the original in shape, but since the originals had the wrong size holes, we decided to make our own. The center part is pretty much the same as original, just different size holes. Side panels are larger than original and there will be a clock on the right one and the left one above the steering column will have a dual air gauge. Middle will have speedo/tach/temp/oil/volt/fuel gauges (and middle part that is not drilled yet is to-be-determined) Still contemplating the finish on them - paint, powdercoat, nickel plate, or just leather wrapped. I have a bunch of buckskins inherited from my grandpa that I'd like to use, but we'll have to see if they are thin enough. Any suggestions? I wish we could do a detail around the edge somehow. They are in 16g steel.

20160515_172024 by Karin Vail, on Flickr

So, now we need to think about a wiring harness. Hubby was contemplating building our own, but I really think we should just get a custom one that has labeling on the wires. I inquired at Painless - and they suggested http://www.painlessperformance.com/webcat/10102
even though this one is not specifically for a diesel. Price is reasonable though I think! (we have the 12valve cummins from a 1991 Dodge 3/4ton pickup in the Diamond T).
Anybody know of a comparable place to get a wiring harness that might be more specific for a 12valve cummins 6BT?

You might call Rebel wire. I have used their harness and they will build
whatever you need. With that early Cummins it would be pretty easy to just
use one of their universal sets then add a circuit for the preheater grid.

I love your truck. Keep hammering on it..

You might call Rebel wire. I have used their harness and they will build
whatever you need. With that early Cummins it would be pretty easy to just
use one of their universal sets then add a circuit for the preheater grid.

I love your truck. Keep hammering on it..

Thanks, I'll check them out.

I love this truck too - I just wish we had more time to work on it! It is getting closer all the time though!

I just bought a painless system for mine too. I have an 89 4bt which is the same as your 12 valve. You won't use the ignition circuit, but can use it for fuel shutoff solenoid. Grid heater circuit too if you choose to use it. The rest is mechanical I believe. You have a mechanical fuel pump on the side of the block?
I doubt you'll find a more custom one suited specifically for the 12 valve. I think the one you got will work just fine.

I just bought a painless system for mine too. I have an 89 4bt which is the same as your 12 valve. You won't use the ignition circuit, but can use it for fuel shutoff solenoid. Grid heater circuit too if you choose to use it. The rest is mechanical I believe. You have a mechanical fuel pump on the side of the block?
I doubt you'll find a more custom one suited specifically for the 12 valve. I think the one you got will work just fine.

yes, it is all mechanical - I haven't bought the Painless wiring harness, still looking at options. The ones from Rebel wiring are at least $100 cheaper and look virtually the same....

Latest posts

Back