FrankenBug

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello Rat Rods
This is my build in progress , It's a 1972 SB beetle . I have chopped the top and was going to stay air-cooled but decided to go from mild to all out freakin wild . My chassis is a 1969 IHC that has been shorten 1 foot in front of rear end with the straight beam from end . I have joined here for help . I have no idea what the best set up is for the lowest but rattiest build . I already have a donor Ranger rear end for a more narrow look but the front is gonna mess me all up since I have never worked with beams before . My engine bay will be open while running a possible big block , with a 48 dodge gull wing hood . I am near Raleigh NC and if any of you are close and could also help me out but letting me see a close up of your set up ty .

Attachments

• DSCF0857 - Copy 1.jpg
    DSCF0857 - Copy 1.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 111
  • 00S0S_3BBgPOUalrg_600x450.jpg
    00S0S_3BBgPOUalrg_600x450.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 136
  • PART_1391382582275.jpg
    PART_1391382582275.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 172
  • DSCF0859 2.jpg
    DSCF0859 2.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 119
I worked my Karmann Ghia project completely different from your project. What I did was just started going thru the build threads. I read a lot and looked at a few thousand pictures. A "plan" came up after a few trial and errors. Then, the plan got changed as I went along. About all I can add is to build it the way you want it, build it safe, and have a good time doing it. If you get frustrated with something not working out, take a break from it and come back to the forum and read some more. I've been working on mine for nearly five years. And it ain't done yet. These guys are great and don't be afraid to ask questions. Good luck.

Are you looking to narrow the front end?
Dropped spindles will help with the lowering. Don't know off hand what is available that would work with the IH axle.
Are you going to run Fenders? If not possibly channeling the body will give the appearence of lowness.
Or since you are using a more conventional style frame you could go with air bags.Hopefully some one else will chime in.
Post lots of pics as this sounds like it will be a cool build.
Torchie.

I will not be running fenders , I also will be doing somewhat of a small 4x4 bed on the back of the body . I have decided to cut back off of bug and make it somewhat of a cab and 1/2 bug rod . I did a sketch about 6 months ago and liked the idea just need Photoshop to put it together to see what it really looks like . I have planned on channeling out the body over the chassis for a lower look.I am not sure about the front beam , I dont know if wide or narrow is the best option , I seen a post from ZZZ ? another member . He sells a leaf set up for them I may look into .

Update

Ok guys , I know its been some time but wife has had a honey do list a mile long , but I have had alittle time to work on project . since last post , I have decided to go with quarter elliptical front end set up. Freind of mine tried to talk me into chopping an old ranger I have and moving the gera box , his looks neat for a ranger just not my speed. I have streched frame to 15 foot untill i place everything and decide where to cut . I have removed original rear diff and gone with a ford 9 inch with 3:73 gears. I am to go saturday and look at a 350/359 set up a friend want to trade for an old 98 malibu I have sitting here in yard . Looks like theres the free drive train . Well so far that's it sorry fellows I will post a few pics later . And if any of you have seen the ranger set up before give me you feed back before I jump the gun .

Last edited:
Their is a build thread here that they put a 383 auto in and 10 inch cheeter slicks in the back and the Bug looks stock exept the rear tires. Do a search to find it. later

Update with Pics ......

Ok I promised pics , so here they are , hope you can see what I think is progress , slow but getting there . I do love the look of the rear end having the tires sitting closer to frame , and will be cutting front beam to match, does anyone recommend me bracing the beam at area of cut and weld or will it be ok ?..................Anvil I also tried looking that bug you descibed and havent found anything on it , if you know the link send it plz .

Attachments

• securedownload.jpg
    securedownload.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 66
  • securedownload (1).jpg
    securedownload (1).jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 64
  • securedownload (2).jpg
    securedownload (2).jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 58
OK had a few days of shop time so I worked a bit on the boxing and getting the rear springs set in , I decided to run the springs on bottom of rear diff, but not sure how to measure and get the right angle to re weld the brackets back to correct specs. Any help would be great, After I got my rear spring holders the springs fitted perfectly into the front orig. hangers . Also a friend is trying to convince me into using a cut down version of the ranger front twin I-beam set up , In the pic you can see where he stats the cuts and redos that are suppose to be right , never seen it done so I have no clue . I also have a pic showing my rear spring hanger that I am not sure of and wonder if this is ok to run this way or does this me my spring may be too long > thanks guys .

Attachments

• DSCF0876copy.jpg
    DSCF0876copy.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 49
  • DSCF0880copy.jpg
    DSCF0880copy.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 51
  • DSCF0871copy.jpg
    DSCF0871copy.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 48
  • DSCF0872copy.jpg
    DSCF0872copy.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 51
  • DSCF0875copy.jpg
    DSCF0875copy.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 52
  • DSCF0881copy.jpg
    DSCF0881copy.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 53
Put the twin I-beam setup in the scrap pile.

As far as the rear - The spring is too long to have the hanger in that location. The shackle should be approximately 45 degrees under load. What you currently have will bind, virtually eliminate travel and eventually break the spring. You need to do something to move the hanger rearward or get a shorter main leaf.

[S[S[S OK great , I can move the front hanger forward about 4 inch and the body will still sit pretty on the frame so that will be my undertaking for the springs. I have a straigh I-beam for front I will cut down to match rear width and already planned on doing a quarter elliptical set up with but the same friend with ranger idea didnt like ( LOL ) My next problem come to the plate on rear end houseing tubes , I want to mount rear end on top of springs to lower and not sure the best way to make springs plates line back up and keep the correct degree the rear should be .................Any ideas ?[S

For now, just clamp it all together with u-bolts. Once you get the vehicle together, you'll match your pinion angle to the angle of the output on the transmission so your driveshaft stays in phase. Until you get the spring hangers set and the weight of the vehicle close to final, you don't really want to weld the spring plates to the axle.
-Chaz

Update update

Ok guys with a little help from a can I got some work done , I redone the rear springs , and set front spring hangers and then set up temp. rear end , this so far is what i have so let's hear it guys . It's slow I know guys but i have to do what my budget let's me , I hope my rear end is setting at the right degree haven't check -ed it yet but looks good so far from side view . I was not able to get a V8 as of yet so looks like for now will be running a 2.3 LT wit 5 sp. OD . Oh well atleast gas mileage will be ok .

Attachments

• DSCF0893copy.jpg
    DSCF0893copy.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 42
  • DSCF0885copy.jpg
    DSCF0885copy.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 47
  • DSCF0882copy.jpg
    DSCF0882copy.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 43
  • DSCF0892copy.jpg
    DSCF0892copy.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 45
  • DSCF0886copy.jpg
    DSCF0886copy.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 42
  • DSCF0890copy.jpg
    DSCF0890copy.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 43
  • DSCF0889copy.jpg
    DSCF0889copy.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
Update update

OK I know it's been some time since I have reported anything , Frame has come along real well , I have since boxed it in . Got rear end set , and even added a few supports to take out any twist that may occur . Now I spent this week getting everything removed from VW and getting the body off . Never removed a Super Beetle before and will never do it again . Front end was a Bitch. With the help of my son we finally got it on the ground and now will start fitting the body to frame so I will know just where to start the firewall . Will keep post coming .

Attachments

• quarter view.jpg
    quarter view.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 51
  • L quarter view.jpg
    L quarter view.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 48
  • side.jpg
    side.jpg
    162.2 KB · Views: 50
Need Responses

Ok after removing the body I went out today and cut the front off to what I think would be a respectable front firewall beginning . I will close in or wrap with metal to give a finished look but overall think the length will be good cause of the foot room already there , what do yall think ?

Attachments

• front2.jpg
    front2.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 29
  • front side.jpg
    front side.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 29

Latest posts

Back