Early Hemi Build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gastrick

One of the Dirty Dozen!
Well I already posted about getting tis 392 hemi last week so there's no need going over that again, but I thought I would chronicle the the build in a thread and share with my friends here.

Right now I'm mostly gathering parts. I've started disassembly and inspection and obtained some things I need already. I need to find a local reputable machine shop that is familiar wth early hemis, then I will be on the way.

I've never built a hemi, or any Mopar for that matter, so if anybody sees anything that scares them, or has a suggestion, feel free to jump in and offer some advice......or free hemi parts:D. I have done some research and picked up a couple of books so that I will catch any idiocicnricies or learn tips specifically related to the early hemis.

Heres where we start. It's really homely looking. It appears that the previous owner painted it with chrome paint, without cleaning it well at that.

I started disassembly today. As a result, there was some good news and some bad news. Heres what I found out.

BAD NEWS - I have a broken rocker stand on the right bank. Looks fairly fresh too. The rockers/shafts need to be rebuilt anyway. I have some on the way. They should be here by next week. I'll post pictures.

I pulled the heads. These need to be surfaced and rebuilt. They do have new seals in them and the chambers look real nice. As soon as a find a decent local machine shop, off they go.

Yep, it's a hemi...........

Last edited:
GOOD NEWS - It's a standard bore block and it has brand new pistons in it. The bores look good but they have not been fully evaluated yet.

GOOD NEWS - It has a brand new double roller timing chain and gears. It also has a new Isky cam and it came with the cam card so I know the specs. The cam thrust plate is brand new also but hard to see in the photo.

According to the notation on the front of the crank, the rod and main journals are both turned twenty thousands. I can see that it has new bearings in it but I'll have to pull the bottom end apart and inspect everything.

Among the parts that I've already acquired is a chrome rear sump oil pan, a used chrome timing chain cover, and some chrome factory valve covers and a chrome factory valley cover with oil fill tube removed.

I'm obtaining and mocking up the external parts before I send the engine out for machine work.

I ordered some water pump adapters from Hemi Hot Heads that allow the use of a big block Chevy water pump. Here's where it's going to get tricky. This manuever calls for the use of a short water pump and eliminates the factory mechanical fuel pump. I want to use a long water pump and mechanical fuel pump if I have the extra room at the front of the engine. I think I will. There might be some other issues with this configuration such as pulley alignment. I'll update of course.

Also from Hemi Hot Heads came a really nice cast water cross over. Here's the water pump adapters and the water cross over installed on the heads. You can also see the new/used timing chain cover and valley cover here.

Looks like a heck of a good start..... opps, sorry I think I just got a little drool on it. :D

I don't think those flat top pistons will work good with the 6-71 Blower that you haven't picked up yet! Seriously though, the engine looks good. Hopefully, properly rebuilt so you don't have to do much. My good friend has an automotive machine shop but he takes a year on everything I bring in. I went to a different shop in April that promised fast turnaround. Still no block. All he had to do was line hone, deck, bore and deck plate hone. So, when you look for a machine shop, see if you can find out how honest they are about timing.
Bob

You're off to a great start Gastrick. I'll be watching this one closely. Good luck with the build.

NEWS FLASH - I just negotiated for the purchase of this intake and carbs. It's not in my possession yet but should be on the way tomorrow. I'm pretty excited about it.

Nice so far. Those 4 97's are just what that motor needs. I'll be keeping a real good watch on this build. Who knows, I might find one for my Mopar. Fat chance this week tho, most stuff @ the swap meet sellers think are made of gold or gas or something.

Wow Bill, I missed this thread completely. :confused: I knew you had the hemi but didn't know you had torn into it already. It looks like you scored a great engine from the stuff that has been done to it. And the carb setup is just perfect!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D:D I liked your coupe with the SBC in it, but this will put it over the top on the WOW scale.

Gonna be a little heavier on the front end, huh? :D:D Those hemis are built pretty solid. Can't wait to see how it looks in the '32. What transmission are you going to run?

Don

Last edited:
I hope you will shoot video so we can hear it run when your done.

That reminds me of the time we were at a BBQ at a friend's house and he fired up his blown 392 Hemi with open headers he had on an engine stand in the shop. It attracted the men like moths to a flame. The women all ran in the opposite direction. :D It was a beautiful noise! He put it in his 32 Roadster. :cool:

Last edited:
Looking sweet Gastrick !! That sure would help the look of my old ugly truck :)

Nice Bud! Four in a row are always impressive! Congratulations on even finding that.
Thanks for letting me know. I could say something about the gennasayqua :) of old hemis as opposed to
sbcs but i can tell see you have already discovered it!

earthman;. I could say something about the gennasayqua :) of old hemis as opposed to sbcs but i can tell see you have already discovered it![/QUOTE said:
There he goes talkin' that ferin stuff again Millie!! Must be one of them there Frenchmen or sumpthin'. :confused::confused::D:D

Don

Gonna be a little heavier on the front end, huh? :D:D Those hemis are built pretty solid. Can't wait to see how it looks in the '32. What transmission are you going to run?

Don

Yea Don, it's a heavy son of a gun. I'm going to try and use the TH350 trans that's in it now with an adapter. I'd like to eventually put a 4 speed in it but that will be down the road a bit.

Latest posts

Back