Early Hemi Build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like fun !!!!

Very cool, glad to see you are going to let us follow along on the build. :D
Nice collection of chrome goodies, and the intake is awesome.
I think that is the best looking carb arrangement for a hemi, good choice. :cool:
This is going to be fun to follow. '22

Well here's what I have for this week. No machine work or assembly to report. Still gathering parts and mocking up. As soon as I find a machine shop I'm comfortable with though, off go the heads and block. I'll be doing the assembly myself.

I decided to pitch the long water pump/mechanical fuel pump idea. I need the extra room and there was some other small clearance issues to deal with. Weight savings was also a consideration. I decided to just get the Hot Heads front cover and short Weiand big block Chevy water pump. My balancer was scrap so I picked up a new balancer too. The front cover, water cross over, and pump will all be painted engine color on final assembly. I want them to just blend in with the rest of the engine.

Shows Hot Heads timing chain cover. Note lack of buldge for factory mechanical pump.

With big block Chevy water pump bolted on. Also new balancer just stuck on the end of the crankshaft.

The manifold and carbs came in too. I couldn't be happier with the overall look. Enough talk, on with the mock up photos

Bent adjustable jet. I'm going to replace those with fixed jets anyway.

Some other items of interest that arrived this week.

My rebuilt rocker shaft assemblies with hard chromed shafts are ready to go when the time comes.

Modified Mopar 340 Melling oil pump and new pick-up for the rear sump oil pan.

And finally, these forged H-beam rods with ARP hardware. Alright, I'll admit that I don't really need these but at least they'll be in there if I ever decide to install a blower. Plus I tend to beat on em and I'll take the insurance. I'm going to use good studs instead of main cap bolts too.

Last edited:
Nice.....

The parts collecting is going well I see, looks awesome.
Looking at the photos, I am learning a couple of things about
hemis that I wasn't aware of.
Keep the photos coming... :D '22

This engine is going to put your '32 right over the top Bill. It was always cool, but a Hemi just has that certain something about it that makes us bow down when we see a car with one. You are doing a good job of sorting out the components.

I don't know if you need this help or not, but Mike P on CHR has a '57 Plymouth and a '37 Dodge, both with Hemis and multiple carbs. He wrote up a series on the Hemis and it was very detailed and thorough. I'm not suggesting you don't already know a lot of what he put in it, but it makes for interesting reading.

www.clubhotrod.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15088

www.clubhotrod.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15089

www.clubhotrod.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15090

www.clubhotrod.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15091

www.clubhotrod.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15091

Mike is a super nice guy, and I bet he would love to BS with you a little bit about your new find.

Don

Thanks for the info and links Don. I can never read too much. I like to research things. This is my first Chrysler build of any kind so I appreciate any tips, hints, or tricks. I have found a trustworthy local machine shop and I'll probably be dropping my heads off next week. The block will follow a few weeks later. I'll be updating the thread as things progress.

That's what I was thinking, Bill. These Hemi's are different animals altogether, so any info on them might be helpful. Mike has been playing with them for a long time and probably knows a few tricks by now.

Don

Another little mock up update. I picked up some exhaust manifolds and tried them on. I wanted the exhaust to stay inside the frame so lakes headers were out and I didn't want block hugger style headers because I'm trying to keep a late 50's look. As a result, I opted for some Chrysler 300 type exhaust manifolds. Just the look I was after and the best performance option as far as factory manifolds go. Now I just need to find or make some matching 4 bolt exhaust flanges. I'm going to have these coated with cast iron colored exhaust coating like the headers in my Anglia. It's held up well and looks like cast iron without the inherent rust.

Oh, and the heads are going out for machine work tomorrow. I pulled them off the engine today.

Well it had to be done. I completely disassembled it. And of course there was some good news and some bad news. Taking the heads off of this thing is like cutting Samson's hair. The engine doesn't seem so intimidating without it's big hemi heads. Anyway, here's what it looks like naked. It was really dirty and gritty inside to have been apart recently. It obviously had not been hot tanked and cleaned but I figured as such and was not surprised.

I took the heads to the machine shop today. They will be done in about a week. I'll drop the block off when I pick up the heads. It should start going back together in the next few weeks.

THE BAD - This cylinder wall is pitted. That means that the block will need a bore. That means new pistons. Ouch!

THE GOOD - The crankshaft has already been turned and is smooth and good, forged crank too. The cam was also new as expected as was the cam thrust plate.

Bill, where the heck are you finding this stuff? Early Hemi stuff isn't just laying around, yet you keep coming up with cool intakes, exhaust manifolds, etc. Must be very hard to score this rare stuff. Block looks pretty good other than that one cylinder.

Don

Thats going to look sweet in the coupe.. He is lucky finding all those goodies :)

My dad picked up my heads from the machine shop today and dropped off the block. Head work included hot tank, magnaflux, surfacing, new guides, retainers/keepers, springs, teflon seals, and most importantly, shiny new stainless valves. When the block comes back I'll start some assembly. These heads are HEAVY!

Assembly!

Gastrick,
That's lookin' really good. can't wait to follow assembly. I think the new Hot Rod has a Hemi build up!

BoB

I'm also eagerly awaiting the assembly on this. One day I may have the good fortune to locate one & will know what to expect.

Well here's an update although not much of one. I should be starting assembly by now but I'm not. The block had to go back to the machine shop because they forgot to bottom tap the the threads for my main cap studs. They also have my crank, pistons, and rods and are balancing the rotating assembly. There turned out to be a strange issue with the crankshaft. Two different timing chain gears of good quality were loose on the crank snout when I test fitted them, so the machine shop is going to deal with that issue also. Stay tuned, assembly should be right around the corner. Except for some miscellaneous doo-dads, I think I now have everything I need to complete basic assembly. I ordered a bunch of goodies today. Every time I walk near this engine it picks my pocket and takes all of my money.

Latest posts

Back