Proud owners

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gunzenrosa

Are people really paying these kind of prices for a cab? Are these Ford cabs really that rare? I know they are getting harder to find but geez Louise I think these guys are just a little too proud.
The first guy states you would be hard pressed to find a cab like this and I scroll down to find the same year for a lot less but still outrageous. :rolleyes:

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/st-albert/1934-ford-cab-make-offer-reduced-price/1115775804

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-auto-body-pa...ab/1082639911?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Also agree. But to keep things realative, they were 1500-2000 several years ago when a new diesel pickup cost $35,000 and now those pickups are $75,000. Even 20 year old diesels are going 10,000 plus and many of us are buying those.
Everyday prices go up on everything we spend money for, a lot more increase than old tin has taken.

Also agree. But to keep things realative, they were 1500-2000 several years ago when a new diesel pickup cost $35,000 and now those pickups are $75,000. Even 20 year old diesels are going 10,000 plus and many of us are buying those.
Everyday prices go up on everything we spend money for, a lot more increase than old tin has taken.

Yeah, seems like everything goes up but take home pay. :rolleyes:

The ad says, "Don't need to sell". Reading between the lines, "But if I can find a sucker that will pay $4k I will"! Although those are pretty hard to find I've seen most go for around $1500.

Toad

The first set of cabs I bought, a '40 and a '41 dodge came with a set of doors,bed sides, grille and hoods along with a frame, axles, wheels and tires I paid 200. After realizing neither cab had any hardware I found my '39 dodge cab complete with all hardware and glass besides one side of the windshield I paid 200 for it.
I ended up selling the frame and axles with wheels and tires for 100 and both the '40 and '41 cabs ( both cabs have alternate rust issues but could be frankenstiened into one good cab ) with doors for 100.
The guy I sold the cabs to has paid but has not come to pick the cabs up yet. We made the deal back in May, but he has dropped off the face of the earth. I have tried contacting him in regards to picking the cabs up or returning his money so I can get them sold to someone that will take them away to use as I need the space.
Fair is fair but now I'm thinking I need to inflate my price?? I mean if the guy ever gets back to me I'll honour our deal but if doesn't then I guess I need to get with the market value on these things. Unfortunately I don't think a cab is worth more than 500 at the very most just from my past deals mentioned above.
I suppose things are worth what people are willing to pay for them.

I sold a 27 T sedan body several years ago, the guy paid me and I have never seen him again.[S After a year or longer, I sold it to another guy who picked it up the next day. I would have gave the first guy his money back after I sold it the second time, but like I said, I've never seen him again.

I sold a 27 T sedan body several years ago, the guy paid me and I have never seen him again.[S After a year or longer, I sold it to another guy who picked it up the next day. I would have gave the first guy his money back after I sold it the second time, but like I said, I've never seen him again.

I just don't have the space to wait much longer. I have my next project that needs the space. I feel I've been more than fair.

I just don't have the space to wait much longer. I have my next project that needs the space. I feel I've been more than fair.

You have.

I assume this was a verbal agreement, no document, serial number or bill of sale exchanged... if so, I'd consider the deal done "in good faith" and the buyer has broken that faith.

Sell the cabs, tape your refund policy and a fake $100 bill to a baseball bat.

cab price

2 years ago I payed $800 for a 34 ford , it started out at $1500 . I new it sat in the woods for a long time like 20 to 25 years . And was really rough condition but this being my first try at this I figured what the hell , it was all there , but a lot of rust .

My cabs aren't 34 fords but if I can get $600-700 out of most of them I'm very happy. And mine aren't rusty either, Most of them are from the dessert or dry climates. But at a few swaps people will still try to tell me I'm crazy asking $800 for a rust free cab and I just tell them to go by a rusty one and put $1000 worth of work in it then.

I wasn't looking at anything inpaticular, just looking (as my wife says). There's a lot of iron available. I'm thinking a lot more people including myself have got into the hobby recently and have been out scrounging the fields and bush to find projects. I've found many, like 5 or 6 '20's sedans for sale all within what I figure is reasonable 500-1000 as I would think these bodies would be the most desired due to shows like vegas rat rods and the likes.
However I just thought these two ads were a little steep. Especially the guy who states " don't need to sell", "hard to find" "no low ball offers" which I read between the lines and thought (you won't be selling at 4000). Then I scroll down a few ads and come across the same year, same truck, for 1500. I'll admit if I "had" to have that '34 Ford I would possibly entertain paying 1500. Yet I also found a '33 Ford with extra cowl and doors for 500. :rolleyes:
I'll say it again, things are worth what people will pay. I just think it's unfortunate someone out there shoots for 4000 and someone out there just might pay that much. Very doubtful but there's all kinds of people.

Location effects the prices also. There isn't anything left here in the rust belt but it's plentiful out west.

Are people really paying these kind of prices for a cab? Are these Ford cabs really that rare? I know they are getting harder to find but geez Louise I think these guys are just a little too proud.
The first guy states you would be hard pressed to find a cab like this and I scroll down to find the same year for a lot less but still outrageous. :rolleyes:

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/st-albert/1934-ford-cab-make-offer-reduced-price/1115775804

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-auto-body-pa...ab/1082639911?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

I don't think $1500 for a 34 Ford is out of line. I'd pay that. $4000, that's kind of high.

The ad says, "Don't need to sell". Reading between the lines, "But if I can find a sucker that will pay $4k I will"! Although those are pretty hard to find I've seen most go for around $1500.

Toad

I wasn't looking at anything inpaticular, just looking (as my wife says). There's a lot of iron available. I'm thinking a lot more people including myself have got into the hobby recently and have been out scrounging the fields and bush to find projects. I've found many, like 5 or 6 '20's sedans for sale all within what I figure is reasonable 500-1000 as I would think these bodies would be the most desired due to shows like vegas rat rods and the likes.
However I just thought these two ads were a little steep. Especially the guy who states " don't need to sell", "hard to find" "no low ball offers" which I read between the lines and thought (you won't be selling at 4000). Then I scroll down a few ads and come across the same year, same truck, for 1500. I'll admit if I "had" to have that '34 Ford I would possibly entertain paying 1500. Yet I also found a '33 Ford with extra cowl and doors for 500. :rolleyes:
I'll say it again, things are worth what people will pay. I just think it's unfortunate someone out there shoots for 4000 and someone out there just might pay that much. Very doubtful but there's all kinds of people.

Interestingly enough, I've met the guy that owns that "overpriced" cab (my dad knows him better than I do), and I saw that cab in person where it sits just after he bought it. It really is solid and in unbelievable shape for Alberta.

Around here, people sometimes do pay that much or more for 30's Ford iron that is in good shape. He's not looking for a sucker, I believe he has around that much into it, and if you don't need to sell you can name your price.

When you look at Kijiji and rotten Model A bodies are going for that much or more, $4000 for something solid isn't that far off. Up here it's hard to find rust-free bodies.

Granted, I would not pay that much for it, and compared to the other one it's definitely high. However, if you've always dreamed of building one, it's probably not that bad of a start. I don't anticipate that he'll sell it soon, but you can always go down in price, and if he sold it for that someone would think he's a genius.

I was at an auction where Ford stuff was very popular, someone paid $5500 for a 32 4-door sedan body, only the body and doors, and it had enough rust areas. That was in 2009.

Wow. Thanks, I must be using the wrong search as I've never came across anything in that price range. Most of those are pretty complete and I would think geared more to restoration guys than the rat rod scene.
I get supply and demand. I just found the prices higher than im willing to pay or would feel comfortable asking. Like I mentioned before I paid a total of 400 for three cabs with almost everything minus the rear fenders for a dodge. Maybe I lucked out and got a good deal or perhaps the dodge stuff isn't as desirable.
At any rate I have learned a little and that's never a bad thing.
I also feel better about the 35 Plymouth deluxe sedan I bought recently , complete minus a headlight and steering wheel for under 3k. I had to have it and being as complete as it is I could justify the price.
Sure glad I don't have to have that 4000 Ford cab, probably grounds for divorce. Lol

Latest posts

Back